Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 4,778 times

Advertisements

I will visit Denver in a few weeks to see if I like it. I do have some family there, however there information can be biased sometimes. I am a single black female and I would like to know more about the Music and Arts scene in Denver. I have thought of moving there for years and am finally acting upon it. I like Diverse neighborhoods, Cafes, Music and Arts. Can I find that in Denver? I also work in Healthcare and would like to remain in that field. What is the employment climate like there?

Sorry for the many questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM

618 posts, read 1,365,535 times
Stick with the central Denver neighborhoods. Most of the music and arts scene is along Broadway, Colfax and Santa Fe, with pockets in Five Points and areas emerging in River North. Baker, Cap Hill, or Golden Triangle will put you in the heart of what's happening in Denver.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:19 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,582 times
For comparison, where do you live now? If you live in rural Alabama, you will think Denver has everything you mentioned, but if you are from NYC....

Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Denver is much smaller than Philadelphia.
Denver is much whiter than Philly.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
What kind of health care job are you looking for, OP?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:11 PM

204 posts, read 201,684 times
Depending on your field in healthcare, pay is pretty low here.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:56 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,999,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrena View Post
I am a single black female ... I like Diverse neighborhoods, Cafes, Music and Arts. Can I find that in Denver?
I'd say that that doesn't sound like Denver. Black population percentage across the city is quite low. There are pockets of black, hispanic, and even asian population, but diversity isn't noticeable on any large scale.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 PM

371 posts, read 360,880 times
Catrena probably realizes that Denver's Black population is low. I take her "diverse neighborhoods" question as pertaining to integration. I experience Denver as a very interracial, integrated place, though my status as an Older White Guy limits my data to what I see out on the street. There's nothing unusual about seeing mixed couples in the street. Conversely, some days it seems like everybody I meet is an aspiring farmboy from the Great Plains.

For music and arts, just check local listings and calendars of events. For smaller club gigs and counterculture, don't forget westword.com. I've read that we have over 100 stages, clubs, theaters, etc. presenting live music. Major plays drop by the Denver Performing Arts Center. Arts groups and museums are supported by a regional sales tax. I like to go out to these, and after almost 40 years here, there are many new places I could discover. The only limits are my time, energy and budget.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Depending on your field in healthcare, pay is pretty low here.
Not in my experience. I mean, it's not as high as in Cali, but it's comparable to other places I've lived/worked.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:08 PM

204 posts, read 201,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Not in my experience. I mean, it's not as high as in Cali, but it's comparable to other places I've lived/worked.
We came from TX and my wife took a hefty pay cut. Conversely, one of the managers at the hospital she worked at in TX recently asked her about wages because they had received some applicants from CO. They were concerned because the people from CO requested wages much lower than what they pay in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver