Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 PM

6 posts, read 6,214 times

Advertisements

This might be a weird problem. I have to travel sometimes back to NYC and since I have a dog, I have to board him during those times. Unfortunately he is a rescue with a difficult past and can be apprehensive and even defensive around strangers. When I was in New York, I had good luck boarding him at places that are essentially just regular dog boarding kennels; he would be taken out for walks and "play time," but was otherwise in his kennel a lot of the time. But apparently every place in Denver is a yuppie "dog daycare" where the dogs are out playing with other dogs or with the workers most of the time, which unfortunately creates a lot of chaos that just isn't good for him or ultimately for the workers either. He needs a more one on one situation.

So, that in mind, does anyone know of places that are not "dog daycares" but do more traditional boarding? Obviously I would love it if my dog could be out playing all day while I'm across the country, but that just isn't feasible. And searching "Denver kennels" or whatever just brings up lots of dog daycares where they advertise that they are "not just a kennel!" and that the dogs are constantly being interacted with, which is literally the opposite of what I need for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,159 times
We had luck with https://www.overlandanimalhospital.com/ for our dog aggressive rescue. You have to pay extra for private play time which sucks but that means she gets taken out a few times a day and has the court yard all to herself . They also have cameras in the kennel and each kennel has indoor and outdoor area with a doggie door.

Other Than that we are trying rover.com on our next trip

Old 11-30-2016, 07:02 AM

556 posts, read 763,204 times
We use come, sit, stay down in Ken Caryl. A good amount of outside play time, a pool, and private "rooms".

Old 11-30-2016, 07:45 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Have you looked at www.rover.com ?

It may be just as expensive to have a pet sitter as boarding. Maybe cheaper. I've noticed that a lot of the people on there will board your dog at their house. As long as they don't have a dog, it may be a better solution for you.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:09 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
I would also suggest trying a reputable pet sitter service. I have two "energetic" rescues that are tough to deal with so I tried a pet sitter during our recent vacation and it worked out really well. They came three times per day and sent me updates each day with pictures. The dogs were allowed to remain in the home (less stress) and I didn't have to wrestle two Tasmanian devils to/from the kennel!

Most pet sittters will want to make a courtesy visit ahead of your trip so plan accordingly. That gives them a chance to get to know the dog(s) and vice versa and all the things you will need done while they are there.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend one in Denver since I'm no longer there, but try Yelp for some ideas and then cross reference the reviews with other review sites.

For example > https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...ver%2C+CO&ns=1

Another tip since your dog is defensive. Even though the pet sitter visited us before the trip, I had a feeling my dogs were not going to be all warm and fuzzy when she arrived to an empty home on her first visit so I left a big bag of jerky treats on the kitchen island so she could offer them a treat as she approached them in the mud room. She said this worked great and that they warmed right up to her after she gave them a jerky treat. The rest is history and I'll be using her again in the future.

Good Luck!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 11-30-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Most people I know use individuals who either house sit or do drop ins to walk and feed the dog while they are out of town. Some petsitters will board in their own home, but they seem to usually have their own dogs (which makes sense, they are obviously dog lovers to begin with!)

Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM

204 posts, read 201,870 times
We have had great luck with rover.com. There are people on there that do not have their own pets, so maybe that could work.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:59 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
When we had dogs and lived in the area, we sometime boarded them at Silveracres Kennel (yes, a bona fide kennel), near Aspen Park. Sometimes we had a dog sitter visit our home twice a day instead.

I liked the kennel better because the dogs were kept safe and, at that time at least, the caretaker really understood dogs--not just the average dog, but all kinds of dogs. It was a no-frills place but the individual dog runs had both indoor and outdoor space, were kept clean, and the environment was out in the woods rather than near other homes or businesses or highways. Also, the caretaker placed the dogs so as to eliminate fence-fighting and other bad behaviors.

I, too, hated the lack of real kennels when we moved to a town with only "doggie B and B" vacation homes. They are unsuitable for dogs that wish to be left alone rather than forced to "play" with other dogs.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,737 times
Check out Club Pet in Parker. They have a good reputation, and we've used them for 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver