Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:58 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNative76 View Post
Because right now Colorado and Denver, in particular, is the happening place to be. Everyone wants here for all it "has to offer." If and when, another major city becomes the happening place, you'll see the same negative effects on that city as we are experiencing here.
Thank you for responding to my question.

By the way, I think there's probably a lot of truth in your response (i.e. - Portland and Seattle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 04:39 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
How does Denver vs. LA compare though? Just curious if anyone knows.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:17 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
How does Denver vs. LA compare though? Just curious if anyone knows.
I can only speak to downtown Denver vs. downtown LA (which is a dump IMO). Downtown LA had more of what I'd call tent cities and really whacked out characters. In LA, the homeless appear to live round the clock outside in these tent cities. Denver is more shelter oriented. During the day/evening, the homeless in Denver come out to hang out, but mostly disappear back into the shelters at night. I'd say there are more overall homeless in Denver from what I saw, but downtown LA gave me the creeps whereas downtown Denver did not.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:06 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I can only speak to downtown Denver vs. downtown LA (which is a dump IMO). Downtown LA had more of what I'd call tent cities and really whacked out characters. In LA, the homeless appear to live round the clock outside in these tent cities. Denver is more shelter oriented. During the day/evening, the homeless in Denver come out to hang out, but mostly disappear back into the shelters at night. I'd say there are more overall homeless in Denver from what I saw, but downtown LA gave me the creeps whereas downtown Denver did not.
I wouldn't call DTLA a dump. It's come a long way over the last 10-years. And there's blocks in Denver where they congregate outside even at night (Larimer adjacent.)

I lived in L.A. on and off for 8 years and the worst areas for homeless was definitely Santa Monica & Venice with DTLA not far behind it. You also have sporadic homelessness like in Denver. There was always a handful everyday at my exit off the I-10 East at Crenshaw, which is basically Mid-City. There was also a lot of homeless at Metro stations (subway) as well.

The other areas with substantial homeless population(s) in L.A. are Hollywood, Mid-City, North Hollywood, Inglewood. What's surprising about L.A. is how some areas will have very little and others have a ton.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
$400 a week for a hotel room? I would be homeless in Denver too at those prices.

I actually see pretty good prices on CL for rooms for rent, share rentals, and the like, but Lord only knows what those neighborhoods would be like.

I have to agree, if I was homeless, winter in Denver would be the LAST place I would go. You cannot smoke enough pot to keep you warm!

S.F. has always had a lot of homeless, and their shelters are always full. The last time I was there they had lotteries for people because they were all booked up. While there are also a lot of services available, that is a lousy place to be homeless. The streets are dangerous, and storms, especially in the winter, can make things wet, cold and miserable. Downtown L.A. is ten times crazier and more dangerous than S.F. It is really a totally different world. Right out of The Road Warrior.

I had to go through there on a Greyhound bus once to get up to S.F., and my seat mate had a job waiting for him in L.A. His employer had told him not to go outside the station, he would pick him up INSIDE the station. I stepped outside to see, and it was just nuts out there. Another time I had to take a city bus from LAX to Greyhound to get to San Diego. It took forever, was completely full at 4AM, and was hands down the scariest ride on a bus that I have ever experienced. I was in way over my head in L.A.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:17 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Denver is a major hub for greyhound. Some make it that far and decide to stay.
Denver 7 News did a story where they uncovered the fact that other cities like Nashville Tennessee is busing their homeless to Denver. They will tell the homeless that Denver takes care of homeless, want a bus ticket? How many other cities or states are doing the same thing?

Group bussing Nashville homeless to Denver? Some of Nashville's homeless people being put on buses - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I wouldn't call DTLA a dump. It's come a long way over the last 10-years. And there's blocks in Denver where they congregate outside even at night (Larimer adjacent.)

I lived in L.A. on and off for 8 years and the worst areas for homeless was definitely Santa Monica & Venice with DTLA not far behind it. You also have sporadic homelessness like in Denver. There was always a handful everyday at my exit off the I-10 East at Crenshaw, which is basically Mid-City. There was also a lot of homeless at Metro stations (subway) as well.

The other areas with substantial homeless population(s) in L.A. are Hollywood, Mid-City, North Hollywood, Inglewood. What's surprising about L.A. is how some areas will have very little and others have a ton.
I visited LA for the first time last week. Right downtown wasn't bad but it was encased in a ring of trash worse than anything Denver has. Skid row on one side and "Historic Filipinotown" aka ghetto on the other.

Sure there may be big sections of the city that are ok, but your above mentioned areas are the areas a tourist (like me) is going to go and the mattresses and shopping carts full of crap on the side of the road really leave a bad impression.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:20 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Denver 7 News did a story where they uncovered the fact that other cities like Nashville Tennessee is busing their homeless to Denver. They will tell the homeless that Denver takes care of homeless, want a bus ticket? How many other cities or states are doing the same thing?

Group bussing Nashville homeless to Denver? Some of Nashville's homeless people being put on buses - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com
I believe Minneapolis got caught shipping their homeless here as well.

I found the article. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-...4/posts?page=9. They did it 13 years ago.

Last edited by Timmyy; 12-20-2016 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Added a URL

Old 12-20-2016, 11:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post

What? That is so trashy

Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 AM

352 posts, read 713,279 times
If we build it they will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver