Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,315 times

Advertisements

We are currently in Southern California, but feeling ready for a move! 90% sure we have that have narrowed it down to Castle Rock and would love some feedback on two neighborhoods that are the front runners.

For some background, we are leaving CA b/c we are craving more space. Both inside and out. So, looking for a larger home on a decent sized lot. We'll miss looking at the ocean every day, but feel like looking at the mountains can fill that void, so we'd love a nice mountain view. We are looking for a small town feel and strong community with a lot of opportunity for the kids. (we have four- ages 2-9). A great school system is a priority, but as well know, that means different things to different people.

We are currently considering Escavera and the Painter's Ridge section of Crystal Valley. Any info would be appreciated, but we are specifically wondering:

- are there a lot of kids in the neighborhood? is it common to see kids riding their bikes/scooters around and/or playing outside together? or are either/both neighborhoods more of an older crowd with kids in high school and/or out of the house?

- how are the schools - specifically, does anyone have personal experience with South Ridge and Castle Rock Elementary? I know South Ridge has a high population of ESL students, which can account for their 4/10 rating on Great Schools. But, Castle Rock Elementary is only a 6/10. I'd rather hear from parents who have/had kids at the schools than base my opinion on Great Schools, but it's hard to do when trying to plan a move from out of state.

- does anyone know anything about the "future elementary school" and "future middle school" planned for Crystal Valley? When is building going to start and when will it open?

- are there planned events for kids through the neighborhood/hoa? (i have scoured the websites for both and not found anything other than what appears to be happy hours in painter's ridge)

Crystal Valley is obviously south and Escavera is more central. I generally like being closer to the action/town/stores, etc. ...how big of a difference is this really between the 2 neighborhoods. Kids play soccer and baseball and one loves to do theatre if that matters. I don't really know what clubs/groups they'll be involved in yet. But, I have heard from some friends in Aurora that some CR families drive north to other towns for sports/activities.

I know that is a lot of questions! Appreciate any feedback you can give! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 10:07 PM

32 posts, read 46,229 times
I replied to your private message, but there are other questions here that I might be able to respond to as well.

As far as lot size, both CVR and Escavera offer homes on smaller lots. You likely won't get much land in either of those neighborhoods (but with the cost of water, you won't want a large lot). Escavera is beautiful and almost feels like a mountain retreat. CVR is a more typical suburban neighborhood. I don't know much about HOA events in either of these neighborhoods, but my friends who live in CVR have commented on how fun our neighborhood is (Terrain) when our HOA has hosted various events. CVR has a pool, but I don't think Escavera does. Both neighborhoods are about equal distance to our old downtown Castle Rock area which offers a lot in the way of town activities etc. I love our downtown. Escavera is closer to the big box stores, but not by much distance where it would really matter in my opinion. CVR is crawling with kids and I'd assume Escavera is as well (there's a lot of kids everywhere in Castle Rock). Escavera just feels a bit more quiet when I've walked around that neighborhood in comparison to mine. Have you looked in Terrain at all? Again, the lot sizes aren't large, but it's a great neighborhood and seems to offer a lot of what you're looking for aside from a large lot. There are a lot of trails, open spaces, a park (and another coming) etc. though so even though our lot sizes are somewhat small, there is a lot of space. Our HOA does a lot of events/activities, we have a pool and another planned to open next summer, and there are so many kids and young (and old- it's a great mix) families.

Although there are areas mapped out as future school sites, the only schools that seem to get built are charters. I've heard NO conversations about any new public schools planned for anytime soon in CR. There's a lot of information about Douglas County Schools on here and via other sources, so if you've explored any of those you might have a sense as to how dysfunctional our board has been for the past few years and what their goals have been (privatization- hence all of the charters being built). Hard to say, but hopefully there will be some changes as of next year's election and monies might be spent a bit better than they have been in recent years (like towards building new schools).

Old 12-16-2016, 02:31 PM

Thank you so much sandsthree! I appreciate all of the info!

I'm curious about the amount of kids in Painter's Ridge section of Crystal Valley Ranch. And I'd love to hear from anyone who has/had kids at South Ridge Elementary....or if you live in CVR, which school do you send your kids to if NOT SR.

Thanks!!

Old 12-20-2016, 02:31 PM

277 posts, read 306,568 times
Don't have kids (yet) but just wanted to chime in and say that hubby and I moved earlier this year from CA (Bay Area) and are SO happy that we chose Castle Rock. The community is wonderful, the town has so many activities going on year round, and we have even been surprised with how good the restaurants are in town.

There are tons of kids all over CR so I feel like you'd find a kid friendly neighborhood anywhere you buy. Even our (larger acreage, not that many homes) neighborhood has monthly events for kids, seasonal parties, a moms group, etc.

There are a bunch of general Castle Rock + Castle Rock mom groups on Facebook you might want to check out... may get a larger audience that lives in CR to answer some of your questions.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:08 PM

Thank you ponyupgrl! I've been looking for Facebook groups but none that I've started following are very active. I'll keep looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver