Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 04:50 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,459,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Ah here we go with the local "I'm an expert" posts in Denver. Like the pharmacist at Safeway who just said "Hey man, just take Ibuprofen and Advil together and it's the same thing as taking Advil Cold and Sinus." I listened to him, and I was sick as a dog until I purchased Advil Cold and Sinus and then felt a lot better.

Around here the whole "take it from me" thing is usually a bunch of chatty B.S. I think the AWD vs. what tires you use has a lot of factors involved - including what kind of car you drive and the type of anti-skid control it offers.
There's a reason I linked to multiple tests, provided video evidence, and speak from personal experience.

Anti skid means squat if you don't have any traction.

As for you not knowing that Advil IS ibuprofen, I can't help you. He probably told you to take Advil and Sudafed together because those are the only two ingredients in Advil Cold and sinus. Not our fault you didn't understand him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 05:32 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,793,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There's a reason I linked to multiple tests, provided video evidence, and speak from personal experience.

Anti skid means squat if you don't have any traction.

As for you not knowing that Advil IS ibuprofen, I can't help you. He probably told you to take Advil and Sudafed together because those are the only two ingredients in Advil Cold and sinus. Not our fault you didn't understand him.
Simply not true. For instance my car has ESP which basically corrects itself when it senses that the steering is tarting to slip out of control. That's regardless of tires. You also have SUVs with HORRIBLE 4WD regardless of tires such as the Honda CRV.

Regarding the latter, technically it's the same thing but the affects didn't occur in the same way like Advil Cold and Sinus typically does. Certainly he wasn't living up to the pharmacy degree he supposedly got.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Simply not true. For instance my car has ESP which basically corrects itself when it senses that the steering is tarting to slip out of control. That's regardless of tires. You also have SUVs with HORRIBLE 4WD regardless of tires such as the Honda CRV.

Regarding the latter, technically it's the same thing but the affects didn't occur in the same way like Advil Cold and Sinus typically does. Certainly he wasn't living up to the pharmacy degree he supposedly got.
You clearly do not understand how your ESP works. Your technology can only save you if a tire can get traction.

The stability control systems tie in to your ABS system and brake wheels that are slipping in an attempt to stop the car from spinning. The knock is, if none of your tires have any traction, the system doesn't work. It's not magic.

Stability control has been mandatory in all cars sold in the US since 2012.

By the way, I have owned Audis, BMWs, Subarus, and Toyotas. I'm quite familiar with the technology. I've taken Audis and BMWs on ice courses on frozen lakes. The systems are nice on roads where tires can grip. They don't work on very slick surfaces.

Regarding the misunderstanding you had with the pharmacist, there are two active ingredients in Advil Cold and Sinus: ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine. If you take those two meds, you are taking Advil Cold and Sinus. Any results that are different are psychological. It sounds like you took Advil and ibuprofen which is a double dose of Advil.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,223,409 times
Quote:
You clearly do not understand how your ESP works. Your technology can only save you if a tire can get traction.

The stability control systems tie in to your ABS system and brake wheels that are slipping in an attempt to stop the car from spinning. The knock is, if none of your tires have any traction, the system doesn't work. It's not magic.

By the way, I have owned Audis, BMWs, Subarus, and Toyotas. I'm quite familiar with the technology. I've taken Audis and BMWs on ice courses on frozen lakes. The systems are nice on roads where tires can grip. They don't work on very slick surfaces.

Regarding the misunderstanding you had with the pharmacist, there are two active ingredients in Advil Cold and Sinus: ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine. If you take those two meds, you are taking Advil Cold and Sinus. Any results that are different are psychological. It sounds like you took Advil and ibuprofen which is a double dose of Advil.
Think your wasting your time here...

Old 01-29-2017, 03:41 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,793,810 times
Quote:

Well I think not all cars are created equal with regard to ESP systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eHEZHk6n1Q

Thread title should be changed to "AWD Doesn't Matter - What kind of car you drive does"

Old 01-29-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Well I think not all cars are created equal with regard to ESP systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eHEZHk6n1Q

Thread title should be changed to "AWD Doesn't Matter - What kind of car you drive does"
That's because you still don't understand that none of these systems work if no wheels have traction, nor can the best ABS system stop your car if your tires can't get any bite on the ground.

Taking the word of a Californian who has never driven on snow tires about the impact they have in snow driving is similar to listening to a Coloradan who has never seen the ocean before about what kind of surf board you should buy.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 01-29-2017 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 03:51 PM

15,035 posts, read 9,999,782 times
Quote:
That's because you still don't understand that none of these systems work if no wheels have traction, nor can the best ABS system stop your car if you're tires can't get any bite on the ground.
Yeh.. I think you are wasting your time....

Old 01-29-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Think your wasting your time here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yeh.. I think you are wasting your time....
Haha! I'm not trying to convince the guy who can't tell the difference between sudafed and Advil. I'm only writing in case someone else who has a gram of sense is questioning whether a traction control system can make up for bad tires.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,223,409 times
Quote:
Haha! I'm not trying to convince the guy who can't tell the difference between sudafed and Advil. I'm only writing in case someone else who has a gram of sense is questioning whether a traction control system can make up for bad tires.
I dont blame you, just figured i'd show you some support lol.

Im really a supporter of government not being involved in the day to day lives of people but if a requirement was made to require snow tires during the winter, I would support that.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 2,309 times
I will say that this thread inspired me some to pull the trigger on buying snow tires.

I had the fun time last year of putting cables on the tires of my sedan to get through the tunnel from Dillon (code 15). Although the z-chains were pretty easy to take on and off, half of the drive up was pretty dry road and higher speeds. Turns out I recently realized my tires were Mud + Snow rated so I technically could have gotten away with it. But as usual on i70 you see the morons with bald tires spinning out and losing traction getting up a major highway at 5 mph.

This year I had to drive through that surprise snowstorm in Denver in December and then also drove up i70 to the mountains the next day. I drove a AWD SUV with good all season tread this time and it was so nice to not be worried about grip going up a hill. Although I rarely drive in snow, I realized when I had to, how nice it would be to be as safe as possible and that quality tires were likely the surest way to do that. I had just put top of the line all-season tires on one of my other cars and realized - damn they are pretty expensive. My SUV doesn't get driven much - but is the go-to car in snow. Probably has about 1/8 inch tread left which likely means fine in snow now but replace next winter. Anyhow, I checked tire rack and saw snow tires that fit for $72. Obviously not Blizzaks, but looked solid. Steel rims sold out though and alloy wheels with TPMS seemed way too pricey. So bought and just had independent tire shop put them on my car for like $50. Sure that, sucks to pay that to swap each season, but like I said the rims and tpms were expensive and the payback won't be for several years (plus I'd likely pay a shop like $15 each season to mount wheels anyhow or buy jack/torque wrench and DIY). Maybe I'll look to buy steel rims again in Fall when back in stock. So my snow tires were less than half the cost of the top-of-line all season tires for the other car. I think I can also get much more life out of SUVs all-season tires than I would otherwise. I feel like I would replace them earlier than usual because of required tread depth for snow. When it is time to replace them, I will likely skip top of line and get decent summer/all-seasons that are more economical.

So how do the snow tires drive? I haven't really driven them in snow yet. Its gonna be like 60 degrees this week and probably won't snow again this season since I'm now prepared. Steering seems softer and cornering mushier. Again, these are not blizzaks or x-ice. Gas mileage seems like it went down a little. I drove i70 yesterday which was dry as a bone. Took loveland pass and there was some snow on the road. Couldn't tell much from that, but did see 2wd car spun out at side of road and someone trying to tow rope him out. Not sure how that happened as all-seasons tires would've been fine on loveland pass yesterday am.

All in all, I have wondered about the usefulness of snow tires in Denver when I really don't drive much in snow (can work at home a lot). I70 is what I drive a lot and it is dry much of the time or plowed well quickly. But after seeing all the proof and videos in this thread, and finding a good price, I pulled the trigger. I feel like I've greatly increased my safety when those nasty conditions ultimately arise (as well as prolonged the life of the other tires). For me however, the cost wasn't much more and seemed to make financial and safety sense. I can now also scoff at those idiots with bald tires on I70 and blame them for all its problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver