Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times

Advertisements

It takes me an hour and a half to drive from Cortez to Telluride. I hate having to wake up by noon to make it out to the slopes. There otta be a law!

Seriously, after reading through this thread, I am never ever going to move back to the Front Range even if the housing prices there ever become affordable again. Even if I end up dying an early death due to lack of access to quality medical care. I-70 would take even more time off my life. The entire stretch of I-70 from Denver to Vail should be torn up and replaced with a hiking trail, complete with helpful Sherpa's to guide travelers to the places with the best powder/packed powder. It would be much faster and far more soothing than the current nightmare with the name I-70. When I lived in Colorado Springs, I'd drive a hundred miles out of my way on Highway 50 to avoid 10 miles on I-70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 AM

255 posts, read 200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Skied at Loveland today with the kids. We left the house at 7:35am. It took 1:15 to get to Loveland, so an extra 15 minutes vs no traffic.

We left for home at noon. I took the toll lane and saved a few minutes, but traffic wasn't bad at all with the exception of a little slow down at Georgetown.
I don't have a lot of experience driving up there in the winter, as this is my first ever ski-season. But from what I have seen, it's usually not bad unless there is precipitation. That's about the only time I've seen it slow down quite a bit.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:12 AM

760 posts, read 882,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
I don't have a lot of experience driving up there in the winter, as this is my first ever ski-season. But from what I have seen, it's usually not bad unless there is precipitation. That's about the only time I've seen it slow down quite a bit.
So true.

I was reading something a few weeks back (I have no source but I'm sure someone knows where to find this if I'm wrong), but it was saying that skiing traffic/guests has only increased 11% since the 90s. Now, I'm not sure if that means per day, per season, per pass, etc...I'm guessing there are more weekly EPIC pass skiers today than in the past.

There really isn't an issue with the volume of cars and number of lanes. Traffic only happens when there are car accidents or when snow is falling. On a clear day with no accidents, the traffic is fine, and you will only see a 5-10 min delay near Idaho Springs.

The one thing that DOES suck however is Westbound in the mornings, where it goes from 3 to 2 lanes. It seems like if you don't clear Idaho Springs before 615am, you will get stuck behind that massive bottle neck. It also seems like every Sat and Sun, there are slow semis barely making it up the initial incline just adding to the congestion and aggressive drivers trying to race each other.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:29 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
So true.

I was reading something a few weeks back (I have no source but I'm sure someone knows where to find this if I'm wrong), but it was saying that skiing traffic/guests has only increased 11% since the 90s. Now, I'm not sure if that means per day, per season, per pass, etc...I'm guessing there are more weekly EPIC pass skiers today than in the past.

There really isn't an issue with the volume of cars and number of lanes. Traffic only happens when there are car accidents or when snow is falling. On a clear day with no accidents, the traffic is fine, and you will only see a 5-10 min delay near Idaho Springs.

The one thing that DOES suck however is Westbound in the mornings, where it goes from 3 to 2 lanes. It seems like if you don't clear Idaho Springs before 615am, you will get stuck behind that massive bottle neck. It also seems like every Sat and Sun, there are slow semis barely making it up the initial incline just adding to the congestion and aggressive drivers trying to race each other.

It really depends on what time you get on the road. If you leave around 6 you'll be fine. If you leave after 8 you will hit traffic

Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
Shameless plug to lighten up the mood. If you need a break from the traffic stop at the Silverthorne Dunkin Donuts. My buddy owns it.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Shameless plug to lighten up the mood. If you need a break from the traffic stop at the Silverthorne Dunkin Donuts. My buddy owns it.
We go to a place in Frisco called Silverheels. I don't know the person who owns it, but it has some of the best food I've had in the state of Colorado. Happy hour is between 4pm-6pm, so it's a perfect layover if you're leaving the ski resorts at the end of the day.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
We go to a place in Frisco called Silverheels. I don't know the person who owns it, but it has some of the best food I've had in the state of Colorado. Happy hour is between 4pm-6pm, so it's a perfect layover if you're leaving the ski resorts at the end of the day.
I swear there was a place in the heart of Golden called Silverheels when we visited in 1995, but didn't find it when we moved to Colorado in 2005 and our wait person said she'd never heard of it. We made a trip to Golden to go back to it as it was that good but it wasn't there....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I swear there was a place in the heart of Golden called Silverheels when we visited in 1995, but didn't find it when we moved to Colorado in 2005 and our wait person said she'd never heard of it. We made a trip to Golden to go back to it as it was that good but it wasn't there....
Interesting. It doesn't appear that they relocated to Frisco from Golden. Their website is linked below. I usually get their chicken wings on happy hour. I kid you not, they are like baby back ribs; they are not like any other chicken wings I've had, and I've had a bunch.

Silverheels Bar & Grill - Frisco, CO Restaurant

Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
Quote:
Interesting. It doesn't appear that they relocated to Frisco from Golden. Their website is linked below. I usually get their chicken wings on happy hour. I kid you not, they are like baby back ribs; they are not like any other chicken wings I've had, and I've had a bunch.

Silverheels Bar & Grill - Frisco, CO Restaurant
There is a place in Littleton called The Shack that has giant buffalo chicken wings. I wonder how similar they are.

Now back to the topic. I haven't been up to the mountains in a while so I don't have much to offer. I see my friends facebook photos of the drive up and back and it doesn't look fun. They have a condo in Dillon so they stay up there on the weekends.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:32 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteMinette1 View Post
We left Keystone on Sunday at 3:50 and got home (east Denver) at 5:50. We probably spent 30 minutes on I-70 just getting to the tunnel. We took the toll lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Skied at Loveland today with the kids. We left the house at 7:35am. It took 1:15 to get to Loveland, so an extra 15 minutes vs no traffic.

We left for home at noon. I took the toll lane and saved a few minutes, but traffic wasn't bad at all with the exception of a little slow down at Georgetown.
I think the first few weekends this year were exceptionally bad (when I made this thread), but it seems to be more normal now, from what I've heard. I should have just waited and counted that as the exception.

Still haven't made it up 70 though cause Monarch has so much snow I had to go there instead. It was gorgeous. Trees had feet of snow still hanging on the branches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver