Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,119 times

Advertisements

There is also plenty of research that shows that a home on a quarter acre of land squanders far more resources than any high density type of development (no matter how many tomato plants are in the back 40). And I find that the social aspect really just depends on your own personal social background. I work in an office where many of the people live in condos and high rise apartment buildings. I don't find them any less or more friendly than a suburban mom of 4 at the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 PM

227 posts, read 1,009,126 times
Katiana, I need to spread some rep around before giving you a point, so I will publicly give my thumbs up to you on this topic!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Thanks bullfish15, from one yinzer to another!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,117 times
Quote:
). There is plenty of research that shows when you increase density, people become less, rather than more, social.
Really? Where? Just saying something does in fact not make it true. I really wish this approach had worked in University it would have saved me days of research.

Quote:
higher density. Some of us aren't crazy about it. A high density enviroment is high density, no matter how you cut it. The courtyards, parks, etc, have to be shared by more people. Some of us (me) like to have a garden in the back yard, not down the street or down the road. When we lived in an apt in Champaign, Ill we did have a communal garden for a couple years, but then you had to drive to the garden! I guess the point is, I've done these things. I prefer a single family house with a yard.
This seems to be a constant theme with you. In your world urban Denver is all apartment buildings? Again, your average lot downtown is in many cases larger than those in the exurbs, in particular the developments springing up east of E-470. If we expand the urban area to include close in housing in areas like old Arvada, Lakewood, Aurora etc we again run into a situation where people can live intelligently, i.e. within close proximity to services and have yards.

Any way you cut it, there is no way to justify the exurbs. A system that requires the use of a car for every service, the creation and maintenance of additional infrastructure to support a small number of people is a broken system, created by and caring for selfish people which will in the end kill itself; the only question is how expensive our natural resources must be before this happens.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Here are some links. There are lots more, on google alone. Some are abstracts, meaning in many cases you have to pay for the articles.

Urban Density, Household Crowding and Stress Reactions -- Collette and Webb 12 (3): 184 -- Journal of Sociology

How to Save the World (http://blogs.salon.com/0002007/2004/03/02.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver