Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:05 AM

19 posts, read 16,994 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I currently live in the Denver Metro area, and while we really love all that Colorado has to offer, the cost of living has simply become untenable. We would like to own a home, but unless we want to drop $250k+ for a starter home, or relocate hours outside of Denver, our choices for home ownership, or even a decent and affordable rental are slim to none.
We both really love the Pacific Northwest as well, but are aware that they are going through their own growth which makes cost of living similar to Colorado. We're intrigued by the low COL in Kansas City, but have never visited.
I work from home, so geography is irrelevant to my employment and we're fairly nomadic and love seeing new places.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 09:25 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,475,022 times
I've spent a lot of time in KC. What do you value besides a low housing price?

Are cities important? Do you like outdoor recreation? Do you want to be near an ocean or mountains? Do you like/dislike winter? How about heavy humidity in the summer? What do you do for fun?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:00 AM

We're both enjoy theater and the arts, which I've heard are very good in KC; we enjoy dining and good food (BBQ, of course). I enjoy going to concerts and live shows.
I'd say in general we both tend to value privacy, so living downtown doesn't have as much appeal as suburbs/outskirts of town does. While we both enjoy getting out for exercise, walking the dog, and bike rides, we aren't mountain climbers so that's a lower priority.
Is the humidity bad during the summer? As a Colorado native, humidity is a foreign word to me

Old 01-16-2017, 11:53 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,600,059 times
OP, have you hung out in the Kansas City forum to see what kinds of things people are talking about there? Have you posted your questions in that forum?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:58 AM

8,596 posts, read 14,789,740 times
If you're having trouble getting ahead in Denver, there's very little chance you can afford the more populous places in the Pacific Northwest. Your best bet is probably Kansas City.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,491,529 times
Kansas City is like Denver with crappy weather. It's a beautiful city with great shopping, nightlife, jazz clubs, historic architecture, etc but it is as hot as hell (and humid) in the summer and really cold in the winter. I think it would be just as popular as Denver if it weren't for the weather.

The plus side is that houses are about 1/2 the price of those in Denver.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,855,321 times
Someone posted pics (I think in the Charlotte forum- they wanted to move and posted what they liked about their city that they were hoping to find) of Kansas City- that were awesome, I was blown away-

I will try to find that thread for you...

Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OP, have you hung out in the Kansas City forum to see what kinds of things people are talking about there? Have you posted your questions in that forum?
Not yet, but that's a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you're having trouble getting ahead in Denver, there's very little chance you can afford the more populous places in the Pacific Northwest. Your best bet is probably Kansas City.
That's what I seem to be discovering. Even going well outside of the metropolitan areas in the PNW, the housing options are limited and expensive ($100k for a manufactured home??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Kansas City is like Denver with crappy weather. It's a beautiful city with great shopping, nightlife, jazz clubs, historic architecture, etc but it is as hot as hell (and humid) in the summer and really cold in the winter. I think it would be just as popular as Denver if it weren't for the weather.

The plus side is that houses are about 1/2 the price of those in Denver.
Thanks for the info!

Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,855,321 times
I found the Kansas city slideshow (you could PM the poster they seem super knowledgeable)-

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...s-i-might.html

I am in Portland btw, and yes it sounds like its on par with Denver's COL- partners best friend lives in Denver...

(you can find some fixers for under 250k if you really research it, and winters are less harsh.. so there is that)

Old 01-16-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
I found the Kansas city slideshow (you could PM the poster they seem super knowledgeable)-

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...s-i-might.html

I am in Portland btw, and yes it sounds like its on par with Denver's COL- partners best friend lives in Denver...

(you can find some fixers for under 250k if you really research it, and winters are less harsh.. so there is that)
Wow, that is lovely! Thanks for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver