Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 02:43 PM

28 posts, read 36,777 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Denver area and we've narrowed it down to Parker and Highlands Ranch (we think). For those of you from Highlands Ranch, in general which high school in HR is considered the best high school. My understanding is its open enrollment in Colorado, so is there a particular high school that most people want their kids to attend?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 02:54 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times
They're both part of Douglas County School District, which as of recent has been a bit of a political cluster.

Where is your job going to be?

Old 01-19-2017, 02:59 PM

28 posts, read 36,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
They're both part of Douglas County School District, which as of recent has been a bit of a political cluster.

Where is your job going to be?
Its going to be in the DTC. I've heard that Douglas County district is experiencing some political issues. Is it that bad? I've also heard that the schools are on different schedules with lower grades going year round and upper schools on a standard schedule. Is that true?

Old 01-19-2017, 03:19 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd079 View Post
Its going to be in the DTC. I've heard that Douglas County district is experiencing some political issues. Is it that bad? I've also heard that the schools are on different schedules with lower grades going year round and upper schools on a standard schedule. Is that true?
I can't answer to the scheduling issue, but I know that when my GF was looking for a teaching job last spring, we were reading that hundreds of teachers had left the district due to pay schedules and corporate oversights.

That being said, it's not like it's a poor performing district, just not one of the best in the area. Have you considered Littleton or Centennial? Littleton School District is small, but well regarded and Cherry Creek in Centennial(ish) area is supposed to be one of the best in the metro area.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:12 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Get a house in the attendance area. Open enrollment for next year is over https://www.dcsdk12.org/welcome-to-open-enrollment
there is a second round. First Window: November 1, 2016 - January 5, 2017 Second Window: February 15, 2017 at 12:01am - June 15, 2017

First, determine what you are looking for in a high school. Academics, music, arts, athletics, AP classes, IB program - that will help answer your questions.

I raised three adults that all went to HS in HR. My preference for my kids is probably not yours.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd079 View Post
The political issues are being addressed, the superintendent and a few of the board members are gone. Yes, schedules can be an issue but most elementary schools are on the traditional schedule. There is also a schedule for elementary school schedule that is close to the middle and high schools.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:33 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
The political issues are being addressed, the superintendent and a few of the board members are gone. Yes, schedules can be an issue but most elementary schools are on the traditional schedule. There is also a schedule for elementary school schedule that is close to the middle and high schools.
The superintendent is gone but the interim superintendent is just as bad if not worse. The schools are still good though. The four remaining majority members will most likely be voted out in November. Actually, one of them resigned last year but the seat was filled with a like minded individual. The guy that resigned had no intention of working with the new members that were elected in November 2015. There is actually news footage out there of him talking to down to them. It has gotten nasty to say the least.

My daughter currently goes to Saddle Ranch and it has been awesome. She has dyslexia and her previous school couldn't give her the help she needed so we moved her. The school she is at now is only 2 miles away from the school she used to attend but the quality of the two schools are worlds apart. You will find that in every district. A good principal can make a huge difference.

As far as high school go I have heard good things about Mountain Vista High School and not so good things about Thunder Ridge from a couple parents that had students attend both at one time or another. That is all heresay.

Here is a link discussing DCSD. //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ool-board.html

Cherry Creek is supposed to be the gold standard when it comes to school districts.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2017, 02:55 PM

I had one kid go to Wildcat Mountain and two went to Saddle Ranch. All three went to Mountain Ridge/Mountain Vista (we moved from Eastridge to Stonebury)

Highlands Ranch is the oldest and has a large geographic zone, Thunderridge has the IB program, Mountain Vista and the newest is Rock Canyon.

I hear MV has a good athletics program, Rock Canyon has a good arts program, etc...

You want to live in the feeder area. Taking your kid to school and back is a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver