Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:02 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITNerd View Post
Why would I want to rent?
OK
Tell me what is different about 5620 E Cornell Ave, Denver, CO 80222?
What is the difference between 475 Gilpin and 490 Franklin in Denver?

Skydog is not allowed to answer these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 PM

536 posts, read 392,372 times
I was looking at three bedroom/2 bathroom 400K homes with finished basements when we were in the area in August in both Denver proper and in some suburbs, and I was really disappointed about how little you get for your money (really small places, cookie cutter, in need of updates). But I was comparing things to my 350K house/neighborhood in a St. Louis suburb. In my case, it was perhaps a case of unrealistic expectations. We had lived in Denver in the late 80s and the area was very affordable then, similar in price to cities like St. Louis, MO and Indianapolis, MO (where I live now and another city where I used to live that are metro areas between 1 million and 3 million people similarly sized to the Denver metro area). I didn't realize how much more expensive that Denver has become in comparison to these other places. The Denver area has had a lot of growth and a lot of people moving in to be by those mountains, which I totally get, but real estate has skyrocketed. The only thing looking at homes in Denver did for me was get me to appreciate the neighborhood and house that I currently live in a lot more and get me to decide that I didn't want to move back to Denver or a Denver suburb.

If you are coming to Denver for a job though, it is a really nice place and you might really enjoy living in the area. I thought is was a really fun place to live when I lived in Denver. I'm just saying that depending on what you are used to for housing and depending on costs for housing in the area that you are moving from, prices for homes and what you can get for your money may be a shocker. It was for me.

I've always liked keeping housing costs to a relatively low percentage of income. The realities of living in a high priced area, though, is that to live in what you would consider acceptable housing those costs can take a pretty big chunk of your income.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
OK

5620 Cornell is in Holly Hills which isn't in the city/county of Denver, it is in Arapahoe County (unincorporated).

475 Gilpin is zoned to Bromwell and 490 Franklin is not.

HAHA!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:20 AM

64 posts, read 69,540 times
Quote:
OK

Where do you want me to start? What type of differences are you wanting me to pick out here? We comparing commute types, tax rates, property values, location in general? Expand on the questions please.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
I was looking at three bedroom/2 bathroom 400K homes with finished basements when we were in the area in August in both Denver proper and in some suburbs, and I was really disappointed about how little you get for your money (really small places, cookie cutter, in need of updates). But I was comparing things to my 350K house/neighborhood in a St. Louis suburb. In my case, it was perhaps a case of unrealistic expectations. We had lived in Denver in the late 80s and the area was very affordable then, similar in price to cities like St. Louis, MO and Indianapolis, MO (where I live now and another city where I used to live that are metro areas between 1 million and 3 million people similarly sized to the Denver metro area). I didn't realize how much more expensive that Denver has become in comparison to these other places. The Denver area has had a lot of growth and a lot of people moving in to be by those mountains, which I totally get, but real estate has skyrocketed. The only thing looking at homes in Denver did for me was get me to appreciate the neighborhood and house that I currently live in a lot more and get me to decide that I didn't want to move back to Denver or a Denver suburb.

If you are coming to Denver for a job though, it is a really nice place and you might really enjoy living in the area. I thought is was a really fun place to live when I lived in Denver. I'm just saying that depending on what you are used to for housing and depending on costs for housing in the area that you are moving from, prices for homes and what you can get for your money may be a shocker. It was for me.

I've always liked keeping housing costs to a relatively low percentage of income. The realities of living in a high priced area, though, is that to live in what you would consider acceptable housing those costs can take a pretty big chunk of your income.

We are both relocating with our jobs and we really enjoy the Denver area and its surrounding cities and towns. We would love to live in something similar to what we have here but we understand it is out of our price range. We currently have a 4 bedroom 2 bath with a finished basement that sits on a 1.5 acre lot that is well manicured. We feel that all we need in Denver is a 2-3 bedroom, 1.5-2 bath home with a small yard for the dogs. Keep in mind, we do not plan to live down town and expect and prefer to live out a bit in the suburbs.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:25 AM

This thread has been very educational, lets keep it going, speak your minds!

Old 02-09-2017, 01:45 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
5620 Cornell is... is not.
I know that.
You know that.
But I wanted the person coming from out of state to answer as I was trying to make a point about pockets and the fact that you really have to live here for a while to find them.
Next time, I will include you (Mr Saboteur) on my list of: please do not answer.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 PM

255 posts, read 200,094 times
Quote:
I know that.
You know that.
But I wanted the person coming from out of state to answer as I was trying to make a point about pockets and the fact that you really have to live here for a while to find them.
Next time, I will include you (Mr Saboteur) on my list of: please do not answer.
The funny thing about some of these discussions is that much of Denver (and the metro) is not bad at all from my perspective. What real estate costs mostly boil down to in Denver Metro is proximity to the mountains, public transit, school districts (if you have kids) and community amenities.

I live in a neighborhood with a ton of retail, bars, restaurants, and public transit (the bus) all within walking distance. I have two bike paths within a mile, and a few breweries that I could walk or bike to. But it doesn't get all the hype that a Wash Park, Baker, or Platt Park does because it's a little more suburban and "chain-y" and on the east side of town as opposed to the west. It's still a safe, pleasant, and best of all, affordable location. The views are amazing as well!

Last edited by Careerist; 02-09-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 02:52 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
The funny thing about some of these discussions is that much of Denver (and the metro) is not bad at all from my perspective. What real estate costs mostly boil down to in Denver Metro is proximity to the mountains, public transit, school districts (if you have kids) and community amenities.

I live in a neighborhood with a ton of retail, bars, restaurants, and public transit (the bus) all within walking distance. I have two bike paths within a mile, and a few breweries that I could walk or bike to. But it doesn't get all the hype that a Wash Park, Baker, or Platt Park does because it's a little more suburban and "chain-y" and on the east side of town as opposed to the west. It's still a safe, pleasant, and best of all, affordable location. The views are amazing as well!
I think it is all perspective. For some reason, people have this mentality that Denver is cheap. Even when it was cheap, it was still more expensive then a good majority of the country. We have plenty of people who want to move to Denver with some grand scheme that they are going to by something like this with only 100 bucks in their pocket.

They then plan on walking out their front door on Sunday and walk to Mile High Stadium for a Broncos game. Then on Monday, they plan on walking right to a ski lift to get their shred on.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think it is all perspective. For some reason, people have this mentality that Denver is cheap. Even when it was cheap, it was still more expensive then a good majority of the country. We have plenty of people who want to move to Denver with some grand scheme that they are going to by something like this with only 100 bucks in their pocket.

They then plan on walking out their front door on Sunday and walk to Mile High Stadium for a Broncos game. Then on Monday, they plan on walking right to a ski lift to get their shred on.
Here's a 9400 square foot lot for sale in my neighborhood for $1,390,000. I say "lot" because the house is going to be scrapped immediately by whomever buys this.

1001 S High Street, Denver, CO 80209 | MLS 2157825 | Listing Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver