Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,311,700 times

Advertisements

So I've been debating getting a breadmaker for years. Mainly held back doing it because I cut way back on carbs. But now I'm getting cravings to make my own healthy whole-grain bread. And I saw a post on the Food board that reminded me

Does a breadmaker do the job in Colorado? Everyone complains about how hard it is to bake here, but I was thinking maybe a machine would do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 12:36 PM

17,691 posts, read 29,669,877 times
Just build a hyperbaric chamber for your bread machine and you will be fine.

Some help with that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2ldtCFCKc

Last edited by davebarnes; 02-15-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 12:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,305,319 times
I don't use a bread maker, but I adjust standard bread recipes to include a little more moisture (I can't give you a ratio, because I judge by feel), and less yeast/longer rise time. I suspect that the pre-set rise times on a bread machine might be a little short for developing good flavor at this altitude.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 PM

26,154 posts, read 48,854,662 times
A bread machine may suffice for some in COLO, but it didn't for me. We move to COLO SPGS in 2005 and brought with us a good quality machine made by Zojirushi (aka the ZoJo). Back east at 500 feet above sea level (FASL) it made whole wheat bread to die for, awesome.

But in COLO SPGS at 6800 FASL it didn't work well. I tried increasing/decreasing the water or yeast and nothing helped, and the advice from the state's ag extension service didn't work either. The loaves came out shorter and denser, brick like, not enjoyable.

Sold it on ebay to a lady back east....

I found bread in COLO SPGS that was pretty much a dead ringer for my whole wheat recipe. Try the Great Harvest Bread Company and get their Honey Whole Wheat. There are six in the Denver area, from Littleton up to Boulder, plus some in Fort Collins and one on the north end of COLO SPGS in the Briargate area. They usually have 3 types of bread to sample, with butter or a spread, and also sell sandwiches, coffee, soup mixes, etc. Their choc chip cookie mix is great and easy to use.

For home bakers who want to try something I doctored my ZoJo recipe as follows: Instead of 5 cups whole wheat flour I used 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup bread flour, and 2/3 cup EACH of (a) Kretchmer Honey Roast Wheat Germ; (b) Unprocessed Bran, and; (c) Oat Bran. The actual before and after recipes are below:

I. Zojirushi Recipe for "100% Whole Wheat Bread" that came with the bread machine
1 3/4 cups of water
2 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
5 cups whole wheat flour (I use Pillsbury)
2 Tbsp dry milk
4 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
3 tsp active dry yeast

II. Mike's Recipe for "Al Dente Whole Wheat Bread"
2 cups of water (the dry ingredients really suck up the water)
2 Tbsp butter
1+ Tbsp Olive Oil (hey, why not, it's good for you)
3 - 4 Tbsp sugar
1+ Tbsp honey (I just squeeze the bottle, never measure it)
1 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
2/3 cup Wheat Germ
2/3 cup Unprocessed bran
2/3 cup Oat Bran
2 Tbsp dry milk
4 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
3 tsp active dry yeast

If you get bread this good, I recommend making a sandwich this way:
- cream cheese (instead of mayo)
- sliced turkey (Boar's Head Oven Gold if you can find it)
- alfalfa sprouts (instead of lettuce)

All you bread lovers and/or bakers out there please contribute to the thread, thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-15-2017 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 01:07 PM

7,152 posts, read 9,245,461 times
I saw an add: "Will trade treadmill for Bread Maker"

Old 02-15-2017, 01:38 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,311,700 times
LOL. Ok, scratch that idea... :P

Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 PM

18 posts, read 25,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Just build a hyperbaric chamber for your bread machine and you will be fine.

Some help with that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2ldtCFCKc
I thought about researching something like this (although not as large) when I move back to Colorado hopefully this summer. Something just big enough to try and use for making and rising pizza dough at something closer to sea level altitudes, so I could try and replicate some of my favorite Chicago style pizza recipes.

Thanks for posting that - very interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver