Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 10,535 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I will be relocating from Mississippi to CO to attend the university in Boulder next year for my master's. I've been looking for preferably 2 BDs or 800+ square feet apartments in the area. With my budget (around 1,200) I was moved further and further out from Boulder itself, which I don't mind. We visited the past 4 days and explored options by driving by and touring several apartments. We've kind of narrowed it down, but can't get an actual idea of prices/availability until closer to our move (not until at least April) due to the apartments needing notification from those not renewing. Anyways, I just wanted your opinions about the following areas.

If we base it off of just what we experienced this weekend, out top choices are Newport Village in Thornton and Arvada Village in Arvada. They seem about the same 30ish minute commute. They're priced the same as far as April availability. Do you guys know anything else you could tell me to help me decide more while I'm back in MS? Maybe general happiness you sense from people living in either area, crime data, friendliness, employment, I dunno. We are a couple with 2 cats who would like reasonable access to parks or nice places to walk, food options (don't need anything upscale), basic needs shopping (we're not big on clothes or furniture type things, just talking groceries and farmer's markets if available). Neither of us drinks and we're under 25.

The closer we get to the move we may end up in totally different apartments, so its okay to give me info about Newport and Arvada village or just the general cities themselves. Both would really help. We loved the Westminster area especially right by the "Colorado Hills" open space but at the time we haven't found much in our budget. In fact, one apartment complex said for our budget we could maybe get a 500 square foot one bedroom. lol Are one of the others more similar to Westminster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AME_2017 View Post
Hi everyone, I will be relocating from Mississippi to CO to attend the university in Boulder next year for my master's. I've been looking for preferably 2 BDs or 800+ square feet apartments in the area. With my budget (around 1,200) I was moved further and further out from Boulder itself, which I don't mind. We visited the past 4 days and explored options by driving by and touring several apartments. We've kind of narrowed it down, but can't get an actual idea of prices/availability until closer to our move (not until at least April) due to the apartments needing notification from those not renewing. Anyways, I just wanted your opinions about the following areas.
I live pretty close to Arvada Village. It borders train tracks, so you know.

I don't find Arvada residents to be particularly happy, kind of set in their ways and aloof. Crime is virtually nil, and we have tons of police. Good access to jobs, easy commute to downtown Denver. You'd be close to Olde Town Arvada (bars/hip restaurants), the new G Line, but also not terribly close to any grocery stores, though there are a ton of chain restaurants and Home Depot/Lowe's/Costco/Sam's Club just south on Wadsworth.

It's fine, I like it well enough. I live several blocks NE of there, and have for the last 3 years. I would choose it over anywhere in Thornton 100 times out of 100.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM

371 posts, read 494,027 times
I lived near Newport Village at Indigo Creek Apartments for a few years (BTW, check them out, they're nicer than Newport but still might be in your range).

I'd take Arvada Village over Newport, mostly due to there being just a little less crime and a LOT more amenities nearby. Arvada Village gets you within walking distance of Olde Town, which at least has some cute shops, a library, and some restaurants. Newport Village is by a 7-11 and a waste water plant, and there's just nothing to really see or do for miles.

Arvada is culturally, as I've said before, 1/3 Holy Roller to 1/3 yuppie to 1/3 Honey Boo-Boo level white trash.

Thornton (in that part anyway) is 1 part petty criminal to 2 parts Honey Boo-Boo level white trash to 7 parts "we live here because the housing market is slightly less insane than most of the Denver Metro Area, but if we could we'd live somewhere else." The Vietnamese cafe in the Safeway strip mall is good. Beyond that, it's chain hell.

Go to Arvada.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:53 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
Thornton (in that part anyway) is 1 part petty criminal to 2 parts Honey Boo-Boo level white trash to 7 parts "we live here because the housing market is slightly less insane than most of the Denver Metro Area, but if we could we'd live somewhere else." The Vietnamese cafe in the Safeway strip mall is good. Beyond that, it's chain hell.
What about the 4 parts Hispanic Broncos fans?

Old 02-23-2017, 05:17 PM

137 posts, read 196,930 times
The commute to the Arvada complex is going to be less aggravating than the Thornton complex on average. Especially if you go during peak times.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 AM

63 posts, read 64,364 times
Could also look in Gunbarrel/Longmont. Gunbarrel is still expensive but there are definitely some deals in Longmont. Longmont is a 30 min commute too- just commuting east instead of south.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
The commute to the Arvada complex is going to be less aggravating than the Thornton complex on average. Especially if you go during peak times.
Agreed. They're both kind of far; I think the 30 min. from Arvada is probably right, sounds just on the edge for Thornton. If you're going to grad school, OP, you're going to want to be near the library, etc after hours as well. Frankly, Broomfield is about as far as I'd go. Have you checked out Broomfield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot5 View Post
Could also look in Gunbarrel/Longmont. Gunbarrel is still expensive but there are definitely some deals in Longmont. Longmont is a 30 min commute too- just commuting east instead of south.
Longmont is kind of pushing it. I know someone who lived there as a grad student, moved to Gunbarrel. I think Gunbarrel is a great suggestion.

Moving up from Mississippi, OP, you may not be familiar with driving in snow. We've had a pretty snow-free winter, but it's snowing right now. That slows everything down, sometimes by a factor of 2-3 X longer.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 10,535 times
Hi all! Thanks so much for the advice!

I'm pleased to hear Arvada might be more preferable. It's actually over $200 a month cheaper for a larger floor plan, so I was expecting Thornton to be fancier based on the price difference. My aunt and her family live in Arvada also, and my cousin is in the Arvada Village complex.

I've been checking out Broomfield (I personally loved it when we visited) and several other locations but having a hard time with my budget. We're trying to stay around $1,200 for a 2 bedroom. I did learn though that most apartments aren't showing their availability for my ideal move just yet (April and May) so I will be keeping a closer eye on it.

I'll start grad school in 2018 so I could move again after my lease is up if need be (should have a higher budget by then). Does anyone know the usual grad school times? At my undergraduate university, graduate classes always took place from 6pm to 9pm. If they're that late in Boulder, maybe I won't deal so much with rush hour commutes. If they're more during the day, and considering snow, I may have to move a lot closer than I thought which is good to know now before move in.

Also, I saw some homes for decent prices in Frederick. It looks pretty far away but it seems like you can also take smaller roads so maybe they're not as affected by peak traffic?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
There are some older apartments in Broomfield that might fit your budget. I think most people in Frederick work in Boulder/Longmont area, so there's a fair amount of traffic. It's far, for going to grad school. And remember snow.

https://www.apartments.com/broomfiel...230j51_Lzx6z-L
Some of these are houses, but there are some apartments in the west-central part of town that look reasonable (on paper, I know!).

Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Is there no grad school housing on campus in Boulder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver