Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 AM

13 posts, read 31,903 times

Advertisements

Apologies ahead of time for clogging the portal with yet another "HALP! I'm moving there!" post and also adding to the already congested 'mountain' roads, but after reading through a million posts for 3 hours I haven't found any that address Special Needs................

We're looking to flee Texas for better quality of life for all of us. I love the mountains and hiking and would love to get back into skiing with the boys. I have an 11 yo who is super athletic (baseball/soccer) who'd love to get in on the hiking/skiing/boarding action, and a 9 yo who is special needs (Cerebral Palsy) - he is mobility impaired (he can walk, but he's a drunk sailor) and non-verbal and I'd LOVE to include him in as much as possible since he's been excluded from so much far too long. This would include investing in some sort of all-terrain stroller or... I dunno, some sort of baby bjorn for skinny 9yo? lol... for hikes, and best bunny slopes for him to pick up skiing/boarding (he had/has club foot so the ski boots are actually GOOD for his feet and balance building).

Aside from that, schools are important (derr!) as I have to accommodate the older one who is super smart and I don't want to lose to boredom and also one who will need a solid Spec Needs program with access to good medical (UC Denver Medical has a CP and Neuromuscular program we're interested in). Honestly, if it weren't for him I'd be ok living somewhere off the grid, but, alas.....

I'm from Dallas, but have lived in San Diego (OB/PB) and Greece. I'm a bit of a Euro girl and love the history, culture, and diversity... and I'm fleeing Dallas to get away from the uber-conservatives, flatness, and lack of culture/activities.

I noticed another thread mentioning drive times to the mountains and since I'd like to *try* to be somewhat active on the slopes and hiking, that's an important factor, as is info on best kid-friendly mountains for the first year/season or two and what the deal is for wknd passes/kid passes, etc.

Farmer's Markets, family-friendly areas, happy life, no need for nightlife, activities, sports, SWIMMING (lap pools!!!), schools, etc.

THANKS! And sorry to add to the masses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 06:04 AM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
You may want to look into Unincorporated Jefferson county. This area is right at the foothills and is family friendly with sports activities available for both your boys. There are adapted sports programs for baseball, hockey, and soccer. Chatfield or Columbine would more than likely be the high school your 9 year old would go to as they have programs that can meet his needs. Chatfield has a unified basketball team in which students are paired with peer partners and they play other teams around the area. Students/players even earn a letter for playing the sport. The area is white suburbia so you definitely won't get the cultural diversity you said you're looking for.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespinaK View Post
We're looking to flee Texas for better quality of life for all of us.
My apologies for the bluntness; however, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
My apologies for the bluntness; however, the grass is not always greener on the other side.
Depends on what you like. If you value a big, cheap house and a strip mall on every corner then DFW is nirvana. OTOH if you like 4 seasons, scenic beauty and being outdoors communing with nature, DFW is the 7th circle of hell.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespinaK View Post
Apologies ahead of time for clogging the portal with yet another "HALP! I'm moving there!" post and also adding to the already congested 'mountain' roads, but after reading through a million posts for 3 hours I haven't found any that address Special Needs................

We're looking to flee Texas for better quality of life for all of us. I love the mountains and hiking and would love to get back into skiing with the boys. I have an 11 yo who is super athletic (baseball/soccer) who'd love to get in on the hiking/skiing/boarding action, and a 9 yo who is special needs (Cerebral Palsy) - he is mobility impaired (he can walk, but he's a drunk sailor) and non-verbal and I'd LOVE to include him in as much as possible since he's been excluded from so much far too long. This would include investing in some sort of all-terrain stroller or... I dunno, some sort of baby bjorn for skinny 9yo? lol... for hikes, and best bunny slopes for him to pick up skiing/boarding (he had/has club foot so the ski boots are actually GOOD for his feet and balance building).

Aside from that, schools are important (derr!) as I have to accommodate the older one who is super smart and I don't want to lose to boredom and also one who will need a solid Spec Needs program with access to good medical (UC Denver Medical has a CP and Neuromuscular program we're interested in). Honestly, if it weren't for him I'd be ok living somewhere off the grid, but, alas.....

I'm from Dallas, but have lived in San Diego (OB/PB) and Greece. I'm a bit of a Euro girl and love the history, culture, and diversity... and I'm fleeing Dallas to get away from the uber-conservatives, flatness, and lack of culture/activities.

I noticed another thread mentioning drive times to the mountains and since I'd like to *try* to be somewhat active on the slopes and hiking, that's an important factor, as is info on best kid-friendly mountains for the first year/season or two and what the deal is for wknd passes/kid passes, etc.

Farmer's Markets, family-friendly areas, happy life, no need for nightlife, activities, sports, SWIMMING (lap pools!!!), schools, etc.

THANKS! And sorry to add to the masses
Budget? For proximity to the CU Med School, I would suggest Stapleton. It checks all the boxes for activities---there are six community pools, plenty of soccer opportunities (indoor and outdoor), and baseball (though the really competitive leagues are in the South suburbs). Close to the freeway for getting to the mountains (though west side is closer). I'm not sure how well the schools would accommodate your son w/ CP---you may need to contact them individually. There is a charter school with locations in Lowry and Aurora (both close to Stapleton) that promotes inclusive education, specializes in inclusive education and partners with Ability Connections Colorado (see - http://www.vanguardclassical.org/).

If you wanted an area with more of an older neighborhood charm, you could check out Park Hill, directly west of Stapleton.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Let the OP find out for herself. That is the magic of it.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 AM

13 posts, read 31,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Depends on what you like. If you value a big, cheap house and a strip mall on every corner then DFW is nirvana. OTOH if you like 4 seasons, scenic beauty and being outdoors communing with nature, DFW is the 7th circle of hell.
DINGDINGDING! Winner!

Born and bred Texan and I can't stand it anymore. I need out. And the irony of a governor in a wheelchair pulling programs and funding for special needs and people with disabilities is amazing............ Texas is bottom of the barrel when it comes to education and bottom of the barrel (labeled as Needs Intervention by the US Department of Education and for Americans w/ Disabilities below ALL OTHER STATES in the nation) for Special Needs programs/access. And who the hell wants 6 months of sweltering heat? Not me. I'd rather have a better quality of life spent outdoors than indoors 24/7 because it's too hot to do anything.

We need access to good education (Denver/Boulder has that), good health/medical for the Spec Needs kiddo (Denver has that), good outdoor living for active, healthy lifestyle (Denver and surrounds), access to good domestic AND international airport hub (DIA)... I'm sure we can handle the adjustment. Just need to sniff out as much information as possible beforehand to know the right places to look.

p.s.... thanks for the info on where to check out re: Columbine, etc. It was one area I was considering (along with Cherry Creek and Littleton) but the school boundaries confuse me. I will look a little further.

Any idea for best websites to check rentals? I've been looking on Zillow, but curious if there are others. TIA

Old 02-23-2017, 09:22 AM

Colorado is also bottom of the barrel in regards to per pupil spending and closing the reading/math gaps.

https://www.greateducation.org/stati...qs/statistics/

Old 02-23-2017, 09:38 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Colorado is also bottom of the barrel in regards to per pupil spending and closing the reading/math gaps.

https://www.greateducation.org/stati...qs/statistics/
It seems you are trying your hardest to convince the OP not to move here.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:26 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
While I certainly can't argue with some of the opinions expressed about DFW (flat, hot and miserable in the summer), I also know a great many people who live there in neighborhoods that are very charming, adjacent to Lakes with numerous outdoor amenities and who capitalize on the many cultural offerings the Metroplex has. Conversely, I consider plenty of areas in, and near, Denver to be nothing particularly special. My point being that there are good things and bad things about the quality of life in both places.

As far as schools go, Denver has plenty of good suburban districts, as does Dallas. I know my my girls' elementary school in suburban Houston is every bit as good as their high performing Elementary school in Stapleton, based on my experience having been very active in both.

But, it sounds like you want to get out of DFW, and if so, speaking as a fellow Texan who lived in Denver for a time (and has been happy in both places), the city is a great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver