Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 124,119 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
My husband and I will be moving to Colorado from the central coast of California, next March. My husband will be working in Denver and I will be going to school in Denver. However, we have a pit bull mix, so we are looking into surrounding towns. Can you point me in the direction of any that aren't full of subdivisions? We really like older homes and neighborhoods with 'character'. Smaller but still with a nice downtown area. Lots of outdoor activities. Close to snow(1-2 hours) for snowboarding! Not too expensive. And dog friendly, of course.
I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,749 times
You won't have a problem finding a dog friendly place... but you will not find anywhere that allows pit bulls. Some towns have restrictions on them and about every apartment out here forbids them.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
You need to look into BSL, Breed Specific Legislation.

Just because there isn't BSL, doesn't mean it won't come to pass.

I am guessing an unicorporated areas like SoJeffco may work.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
I'm pretty sure you can have pit bulls in Englewood. You're best bet would be to find a private owner renting out a house rather then a complex because most complexes do have breed specific bans. Good luck! I think the breed ban is a bad idea. People need to be responsible for their pets and keep them safely within the confines of their yard, house and be in control of them while out on walks with a leash.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 124,119 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Can anyone give me a list of towns that are near denver, not in Denver, that you consider nice places to live?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 AM

261 posts, read 705,095 times
Breed bans are really stupid, we have a bull terrier, which for some reason doesn't fall under the pit bull ban, even though they are really similar to the rest of the bull breeds. Shows you how much sense it makes. Anyway, Littleton doesn't have a breed ban. I think I remember Northglenn being one other place that banned pit bulls, but I think you should be okay in most other Denver suburbs, just check the city/county website.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
This question has come up a lot recently with people relocating. I've always suggested calling one of the big Humane Societies as they might be able to point you in a direction that will work. Maybe start off with the Dumb Friends League.
Longmont does not have a ban and in fact, many pit bulls that people can't have end up in the Longmont Humane Society. They may also be a good source to speak with.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:31 AM

57 posts, read 258,804 times
I have to say it makes me mad and sad that pit have such a bad rap. Just because of a few stupid owners. Pits are wonderful, and very caring dogs.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 PM

9 posts, read 131,214 times
I can tell you since I own a Bull Terrier mix and I am looking into relocating to Colorado that there are cities that allow pitbulls. Look into Littleton, Lakewood and Englewood. But avoid Aurora, Golden, Lone Tree, Commerce City they all have Breed Specific Legislation. Littleton actually voted against such laws so that may be a good place to look. I have found this website to be really helpful:
BREED-SPECIFIC LEGISLATION

it lists cities with BSL and even those that have voted against it. It's a great reference

Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 PM

178 posts, read 509,814 times
^ great website. Wonder why Littleton isn't listed though.

One would assume that if a suburban city specifically voted against such laws that people there would be pretty friendly then to the breed. Does anyone know if this is the case? It's one thing to legally reside in a city without the laws and another thing to get strange looks when you are going for a walk, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver