Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 PM

74 posts, read 85,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCWIFEY View Post
Ideally the perfect place would have the following;
Racially diverse, culturally diverse, leans liberal with progressive thinking and lifestyles

A fair amount of people with agnostic or atheistic views
Why does everyone under the sun nowdays only want to live in cities that have racial diversity, Cultural diversity as well as liberal Leanings???? Like how is racial and cultural diversity going to make your existence any more fulfilled, will it make you wealthier, will it pay your bills, will it make you healthier. Same with liberal leaning cities, Why do you need to live in one. They usually are super expensive to live in. why not go live where you can afford to actually have a decent life and not be in such a vicious housing environment. All these things just seem like really shallow reasons to move somewhere thinking it will bring true happiness. And I can tell you that Denver and boulder are not that Racially diverse, While there are other races in the area the two biggest ethnicity's are white or Latino. They make up the majority of the cities population and Boulder is pretty much the whitest community I've ever seen and this is coming from a someone who grew up in a very stereotypical white family and same cookie cutter wonder bread neighborhood and I'm a typical white person. I can't even stand being in boulder for long periods of time, It's full of old or rich stuck up white people who think they make the sun come up every day, it makes me want to vomit after a couple hours of being there.

As for agnostic and atheistic views, Why care? I thought Liberals were supposed to be inclusive of all religions and not discriminate. Besides whats so wrong with religious folk. most aren't the brainwashed ones that go around and hate you if you don't follow what they believe. They won't come after you with pitch forks and torches, The majority aren't like the West borough baptist church( which they shouldn't even be seen as if they follow god).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 09:38 PM

74 posts, read 85,021 times
The city that would probably be a great cannidate would be Austin TX. Plus Its way more liberal than Denver.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Lafayette and Broomfield are barely in the 40 minutes to DIA category, with Broomfield being closer. Neither are particularly atheistic/agnostic that AFAIK. Both have a number of churches. Both are walkable in the sense of sidewalks, but neither have a lot to walk to. Lafayette does have a lot of restaurants in its "old town". I like Broomfield better, but that's just me. Both have a good "sense of community". Both have farmer's markets.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-07-2017 at 10:35 PM..

Old 03-07-2017, 10:27 PM

112 posts, read 140,903 times
The thing is, many of the places that may be a good fit for you will not work in ALL of those categories such as schools, chickens, walking, not too many white people, budget, commute, etc. I think that you will really have to narrow down what your main priority is and then look at where you can go from there.

I'd look at the cheaper/older/smaller homes in the Hale/Montclair/Hilltop/East/etc.

105 Niagara St, Denver, CO 80220 - realtor.com®

Huge lot:
816 Grape St, Denver, CO 80220 - realtor.com®

More $$, better school:
631 Dahlia St, Denver, CO 80220 - realtor.com®

Less Great School in Virginia Village:
1520 S Ash St, Denver, CO 80222 - realtor.com®

University Hills:
3374 S Forest St, Denver, CO 80222 - realtor.com®

SE Denver:
3239 S Dayton Ct, Denver, CO 80231 - realtor.com®

You can sort of walk along Hampden and go to Walmart from the one above.

Still commutable:
2837 S Adams St, Denver, CO 80210 - realtor.com®

This looks nice:
970 Fairfax St, Denver, CO 80220 - realtor.com®

Feeds to a decent elementary:
2421 Eliot St, Denver, CO 80211 - realtor.com®

Or alternatively you could give up the chicken thing and move into a condo or attached housing that meets more of your other requirements in Denver proper...although again most places that have good/great schools will have lots of white people, some Asians, and like a few chance other not-white people. It won't be a mecca of diversity unless it used to be a bad area that was gentrified and there's older families still holding on, or there's some sort of inclusive housing type project nearby. Something like this: 40 Garfield St Ste F, Denver, CO 80206 - realtor.com®

Besides schools, I'd really make commute a priority considering that he will be working at DIA. Even during non peak times there will still be traffic/snow/construction/etc. It could take me nearly 3 hours from a building near DIA to get back to Lakewood with an accident or snow. DH was doing Aurora (closer than DIA) to Lakewood a year or so ago on i70 and just one accident or off construction hours could make his drive over an hour. On average it was 1.5 hours each way. I've done the drive at 2:00 am under 45 minutes, but leaving at 5:00 am I would barely get there by 6:00 am most days, and the drive home at 2:00 pm already sucked. You just never know. One drunk driver, one freak accident, etc. can make it a long trek down Colfax or some other maze of streets to get there.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:16 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
The city that would probably be a great cannidate would be Austin TX. Plus Its way more liberal than Denver.
This didn't sound right so I just looked and Travis County, TX went 66.25% for Clinton. Denver County went 73% for Clinton.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Arvada.
https://www.redfin.com/city/30796/CO....5k-sqft,hoa=0

Old Town is very walkable. It's within your desired commute. The schools are pretty good as far as I know.
https://www.redfin.com/city/30796/CO....5k-sqft,hoa=0

This one in particular is both walkable to Old Town Arvada and is on a large lot (1/3 acre).
https://www.redfin.com/CO/Arvada/780.../home/34394408

The schools aren't great for this particular location but you can most likely choice into a different school if you decide to send your kids to school.

Last edited by MissTerri; 03-08-2017 at 07:27 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 AM

12 posts, read 11,898 times
Thank you all for taking time to respond and share links. I will be combing through it all later this afternoon!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 11,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
Why does everyone under the sun nowdays only want to live in cities that have racial diversity, Cultural diversity as well as liberal Leanings???? Like how is racial and cultural diversity going to make your existence any more fulfilled, will it make you wealthier, will it pay your bills, will it make you healthier. Same with liberal leaning cities, Why do you need to live in one. They usually are super expensive to live in. why not go live where you can afford to actually have a decent life and not be in such a vicious housing environment. All these things just seem like really shallow reasons to move somewhere thinking it will bring true happiness. And I can tell you that Denver and boulder are not that Racially diverse, While there are other races in the area the two biggest ethnicity's are white or Latino. They make up the majority of the cities population and Boulder is pretty much the whitest community I've ever seen and this is coming from a someone who grew up in a very stereotypical white family and same cookie cutter wonder bread neighborhood and I'm a typical white person. I can't even stand being in boulder for long periods of time, It's full of old or rich stuck up white people who think they make the sun come up every day, it makes me want to vomit after a couple hours of being there.

As for agnostic and atheistic views, Why care? I thought Liberals were supposed to be inclusive of all religions and not discriminate. Besides whats so wrong with religious folk. most aren't the brainwashed ones that go around and hate you if you don't follow what they believe. They won't come after you with pitch forks and torches, The majority aren't like the West borough baptist church( which they shouldn't even be seen as if they follow god).
I typed up a really long response to this message to share why it actually is important for us to live in a diverse community, but I realize that it will take away from my original question and I'd like to be able to focus on finding an area that meets our needs.

I will say that we are not moving to Denver to look for racial or cultural diversity; we already have that where we live now. Denver is a move that is happening and non-negotiable, my husband has a solid transfer date. I'd like to try to find what I love about our current city in our new home, if it exist.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:22 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCWIFEY View Post
I typed up a really long response to this message to share why it actually is important for us to live in a diverse community, but I realize that it will take away from my original question and I'd like to be able to focus on finding an area that meets our needs.

I will say that we are not moving to Denver to look for racial or cultural diversity; we already have that where we live now. Denver is a move that is happening and non-negotiable, my husband has a solid transfer date. I'd like to try to find what I love about our current city in our new home, if it exist.
Yeah let's not make this a thread about race and politics, good call.

Where are you coming from that ypu are looking to recreate? Because some of these wishes mean different things to different people.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:24 PM

401 posts, read 486,914 times
I think the North Denver area would be a great place for you to look.

There are towns like Erie, Lafayette, Broomfield and Boulder could fit your needs. As for backyard chickens you will want to check that with each town as each town has different rules and many towns have changed their rules lately to allow for backyard chickens.

Boulder, Erie and Lafayette can all be walkable towns depending on how far you live from the downtown areas. Erie is a growing city (most cities here in Denver are growing).

Boulder is the more expensive of the four towns I mentioned above and it could be hard to stay within your range however it does have most or all of the things you have talked about.

I know Broomfield and Erie are pretty close knit when it comes to the moms there. Broomfield is really missing that local store/restaurant piece though. Lafayette, Boulder, and Erie all have that.

Please feel free to ask me more questions, I know the North area of Denver pretty well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver