Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 09:43 PM

13 posts, read 19,912 times

Advertisements

So once upon a time I owned a boat, with a trailer, that I registered with the Denver DMV. So far so good. A few years later I sold (signed title over, issued receipt, etc) the boat and trailer to an acquaintance who had it out of the water for a year while he made some improvements. The other day, I got a text from him saying that when he tried to title it in his name, he was told the title was transferred incorrectly and the title I signed over to him is now void. It seems I am still the legal owner of the boat/trailer. He's asking me to go to the DMV and get a new title to transfer over correctly. He hasn't given me a ton (or any) info regarding what ,if any, documentation is required to do so, but I'd like to help him out and get this off my plate as quickly as possible. Anyone have any idea as to what I'll need to provide DMV with in order to get a new title printed for a boat/trailer I apparently still own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 10:13 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
When did you sell the trailer to your friend?

CO established a convoluted new trailer registration system sometime between 2000 (when we bought our first trailer) and 2011, when I was astounded by what a pain it was to register and title a new trailer that I assembled from a stock kit. Seems there had been many decades of people not paying trailer registration fees, as well as a lot of stolen trailer "business."

One of the changes was that the manufacturer-assigned VIN was not honored. Instead, after proving that I had indeed lawfully bought the kit, I had to pay state sales tax (the trailer had been mail-ordered from out of state), get an authorized inspection done, AND then register the trailer under a new, CO-assigned VIN. Maybe there is a problem because you were supposed to get a new VIN before selling it?????

Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
timeline is everything in this effort.

if it's not all that long ago, DMV will be able to find your old title trail via name and address database and issue replacement titles.

it helps if you have an old trailer registration slip, old license plate number, or old CO boat registration number. Maybe you have an old insurance policy listing some of the information.

Otherwise, DMV may have some hoops for you to jump through to clarify the ownership and titles.

Trailer titling changed around the USA a few years ago when the Fed guidelines for these items and UTV's were tightened up. A lot of the reasoning behind this was so many off-road untitled/unregistered/uninsured accidents with injuries or losses taking place and folk weren't being held responsible. Plus it was another income stream for the gov't agencies and insurance companies.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:38 AM

13 posts, read 19,912 times
Thanks for the replies/insight. I do have a registration card. So it sounds like I can walk into DMV armed with my ID and that card and they'll issue me a new title with minimal hoops to jump through... fingers crossed. I'll report back on how it all went in case anyone else finds this thread in a search or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: