Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM

15 posts, read 12,630 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Park Hill this summer and looking for a full day preschool for our 3.5 year old. I've scoured google maps and have a few that I've found. Any feed back on any of these? A search of the forums was unsuccessful.

Thanks!

Acadia in Stapleton

University Children's center - has good reviews, but no response to call or email

Rodef Shalom - talking to director tomorrow

Augustana Early learning center - it's in a luthern church and we are secular jews, so that freaks me out, but the place sounds great and the price is amazing

I've hear not great things about Park Hill Children's center. The teachers get great reviews but the director, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 01:23 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Did you check with Temple Emanuel? That's where I had my oldest (just under 5 at the time) when we moved to Denver in 2012 and I had to make decisions from out of state. My youngest (who was 2) ended up at BMH-BJ, which is Orthodox, but I had to split them up due to available slots because we relocated in the Fall after school had already started.

I think I toured Rodef Shalom and it seemed fine, but everyone's feedback was that Emanuel was better, though in hindsight, I thought both it and BMH-BJ were just okay. Also, don't discount the Lutheran school merely because you are Jewish. I am also Jewish, but I sent my oldest to a Methodist preschool for 3 years in the small North Texas city we lived in before Denver because it was the best in our town and almost all preschools with church affiliated. It was a wonderful school, and I was much more impressed with it than I was Temple Emanuel in Denver, TBH. The religious aspect of most preschools is quite limited and usually a non issue, so just keep that in mind.

Also have you looked at others in Stapleton? We moved our youngest to Primrose Stapleton for 3K because that's where we lived. I was pleased with it.

Edit to Add: I just saw your thread title was Full day preschools, so maybe my suggestions are not as relevant. Sorry.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 04-18-2017 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Thanks! What was the feedback that made people feel Emanuel was better? I have an email into them and hoping to hear back tomorrow after pesach break is over.

Good to know about looking into other schools without worrying about religion.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macao View Post
Thanks! What was the feedback that made people feel Emanuel was better? I have an email into them and hoping to hear back tomorrow after pesach break is over.

Good to know about looking into other schools without worrying about religion.
Just comments I received here and there from a few people who had sent their kids there (including several non Jews who had sent their kids there). That was the part that made me scratch my head a bit....because after my daughter spent the year there, I was still trying to figure out what was so great about it, LOL. In my daughter's case, though, I think the issue was that she just wasn't being challenged. She came in having already done a year of 4K in Texas (with a fantastic teacher) and missed the age cut off for kindergarten by a couple of weeks, so I had to keep her in preschool another year. Best thing would have been to put her in a private kindergarten (Primrose has one, and that's what I did last year for my youngest).

Old 04-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Thanks! It will be interesting for us because my daughter's a mid november birthday. So, good to know about the private K having different date cut-offs.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I was going to suggest Emanuel too, and you could also look at the JCC at Leetsdale and Dahlia, not quite in Park Hill but not too far either.

My understanding is that all of them (including Augustana) are all at least a little bit religious in nature, but in a way that is respectful of the background of all the families attending. Which sounds a little contradictory but seems to work out ok.

You could also check out Paddington Station.

One thing to be aware of is that "full day" preschool often means approx 8:30-3:30 give or take a half hour on either side. Most offer extended day but you have to pay extra so the cost starts to add up if you really need a full day to cover your own work schedule.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:14 PM

Thanks! Looks like we have a few options. Probably just need to book a trip and tour some of these to really get a sense. Deciding from out of state is tough!

Old 04-18-2017, 03:23 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Thanks! Looks like we have a few options. Probably just need to book a trip and tour some of these to really get a sense. Deciding from out of state is tough!
the first thing you need to do is confirm availability. At this point, you may just be getting on the wait list for some of them.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is, and that's why I defaulted to the Jewish school options since I knew all would be acceptable to me.

emm74 makes a good suggestion with the JCC. She always thinks of things I forget

Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Secular Jew here.......
I have sent both of my kids to the JCC. We've been very happy with the program there. One of the big bonuses is the indoor pool. The kids swim one day a week. Teachers have been great. My oldest is now in kindergarten at one of the top private schools in the city.

We have friends who have sent their kids to Emanuel and been very happy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver