Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
As is typical of any discussion about ethnicity, you've jumped to conclusions and read racist undertones into my simplified comments.

What I actually said was, 'RELATIVELY low paid positions', meaning, comparatively low, regardless of the chosen field or position. The point being that most first generation immigrants are grateful to take a decent job, even it offers a lower starting salary then their US-born counterparts might be asking for.

OH, and re: Farmwork. That is by no means any sort of menial or trivial work. This country and virtually every other one was built on it.
No one is called you a racist and I seldom "blabber".

Now that you've explained what you meant by "low paid positions" I understand what you were trying to say, though admittedly I had no idea that Indians, in your opinion, will approach an IT open position and willingly take a lower salary. If this is true, I have never heard of such a thing...you'd think they'd understand that they should get a similar salary as everyone else. Perhaps you, in exchange, can recognize that the term "low paid positions" can differ greatly if you're talking about "starting salary at a Wall Street firm or IBM" versus manual labor jobs.

My grandparents and great grandparents were all farmers, so I don't need a discussion about how hard farm work is. It's back-breaking, enormously difficult work, but surely you know that it is a very poorly paid job. That's not to say it's unfair for people to work for those horrid wages, but people aren't making lots of money working as crop pickers or any other job that is physically difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
No one is called you a racist and I seldom "blabber".
I said that you 'read racist undertones' into my comments, not that you called me a racist or any other name.

As for blabbering, if you choose to accept this definition:
Blabbering

That is indeed what you were doing when you went on about how my simple comments inferred that I think Indians are poor or uneducated or whatever.

Quote:
I had no idea that Indians, in your opinion, will approach an IT open position and willingly take a lower salary. If this is true, I have never heard of such a thing...
Again, you've missed the point in favor of your own preconceived notions about what I'm saying. The point is that Indians, along with most other immigrant groups, are often willing to humble themselves a bit despite a high level of education and experience in order to take an entry level position here, because they see that as an opportunity to start over here in the US.

It's a moot point though, because I was just taking a WAG at answering the OP's question about why she has "noticed a great increase in the number of Indian people in Denver lately." I easily could be wrong though, and I really have no hard data to back it up. I could do a quick google search for some stats, but it looks like you've already done that for me.

Last edited by treedonkey; 01-25-2010 at 02:55 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I easily could be wrong though, and I really have no hard data to back it up. I could do a quick google search for some stats, but it looks like you've already done that for me.
Great...so, we're done? And we can hopefully agree that the growing Indian population in Denver, for whatever reason, is a good thing? I certainly can think of worse neighbors and have found the Indians I know personally as well as those who just share the same stores, roads, schools and parks with me to be extremely nice and making huge efforts to assimilate.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Great...so, we're done? And we can hopefully agree that the growing Indian population in Denver, for whatever reason, is a good thing?
Yes. Not necessarily a bad thing, ayways. Population growth is always a 2-sided coin though.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Now that you've explained what you meant by "low paid positions" I understand what you were trying to say, though admittedly I had no idea that Indians, in your opinion, will approach an IT open position and willingly take a lower salary. If this is true, I have never heard of such a thing...you'd think they'd understand that they should get a similar salary as everyone else. Perhaps you, in exchange, can recognize that the term "low paid positions" can differ greatly if you're talking about "starting salary at a Wall Street firm or IBM" versus manual labor jobs.
You have never heard of this because it happens in a subtle manner.

The employers know their constraints and place a certain rate on the table, and they tend to accept without much of a second thought.

It's all about the employer. They have all the ideas in their books to look into every gap where money can be made and quarterly revenues met. So, these boys and girls will settle in for 80K per annum, when the actual job can be worth 100K. So, there's the 20K differential >>>>>>> PROFIT

And can you imagine how hard they work? They work longer and literally urinate in their pants if the boss goes berserk. Well, the urine part can actually be said of 80% of folks of all types, unfortunately.

I'm presently interviewing for a portfolio management geek for the UN. There's only one position, and I flatly stated I'm not budging from Denver unless it crosses 200K. He came back today and wanted to verify if I'm of Indian descent and said it surprised him. <yawn>

I was soooooooo happy I was gonna achieve my childhood target 10 years ago of making double sixes before thirty, and that too the timing, just a few days before turning 30. After a night's partying, streaking, jumping, rolling, it all looks hazy now. I bet they're hunting for a cheaper dog

It boils down to the fact that employers set expectations based on the ethnicity of the worker. Asians & Middle Easterners go low on the pay scale. This is the unwritten corporate employment law

It's easy to draw that parallel on another level which everybody can reconcile with. The hispanic folks who work in construction and the like... they definitely get paid less. It's the same, but on a different level.

Read as GLOBALIZATION. My father in his rage always told me the best job I could ever do was tend cattle and pigs Owning a business must be something, even if it means sitting in a corner to hatch hen's eggs coz you can't find a rooster??

Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,036 times
Default Pls help!! searching for apartments near Dish Network Corporation

Please help!!we are moving from california this month as my husband got job in Dish Network Corporation. We are looking for apartments with 2/2 with attached garage.
preferably, area should be filled with the indian community. it will be more helpful if anyone can suggest me good meternal Hospital(as i am 7 months pregnant) and preschool for my kid(3 years old).

Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriragh View Post
Please help!!we are moving from california this month as my husband got job in Dish Network Corporation. We are looking for apartments with 2/2 with attached garage.
preferably, area should be filled with the indian community. it will be more helpful if anyone can suggest me good meternal Hospital(as i am 7 months pregnant) and preschool for my kid(3 years old).
AMLI in park meadows, Windsor at Meridian commons all have a sizeable desi population.

But truth be told, they are also the least friendly

But both places are close to Dish. You can also look at Crest at Lone Tree or the Remington at Lone Tree. And pretty much anything in a nearby town called Parker.

Coloradoans are very friendly. Even if Indian population is less, it's not a big deal, it depends on how much you guys want to socialize.

On to hospitals, there is nothing like good or evil hospitals It pretty much depends on your husband's insurance and how much he can leverage that. The area contains a lot of hospitals, and there are good ones in Denver/Aurora areas.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
Default Apartment for Indian family

Hi all,

we are Indian family. I have 5 year old son and wife. We are moving to Denver this september. Can someone please tell me which is best area for Indian family to stay. I am looking for place where indian groceries and good school around. We are looking for apartment where we should have Indian/marthi neighbouerhood. Please do let me know if there are appartments available and what is status on Indian locality around.

All your help is appreciated.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 AM

322 posts, read 525,087 times
Hi there, Indian families live all over the metro area, but one of the biggest clusters of Indian businesses is located around I-225 and Parker Rd in Aurora. I don't have specific information on apartments near there, but there should be plenty available. Most of that area is part of Cherry Creek Schools - which has a great reputation.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Have merged four generic threads on this topic into one thread which should make it more helpful to people.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver