Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 55,944 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm heading to Denver for a conference mid-April, and will be staying about 1 week. The conference will be held at the convention center. I am looking forward to exploring Denver and maybe surrounding attractions while I'm there. Unfortunately I am paying my own way, so I need to find super super low cost accomodations.

I'm looking mainly at three places:
Melbourne Hotel and Hostel ($40/night) - 22nd street and Welton
Elyria Guesthouse ($60/night) - E. 47th Ave. and Brighton
Holiday Chalet ($90/night) - E. Colfax at Williams

The last one is really a bit pricey, but if I skimp on other things I can just about afford it. But how are the neighbourhoods? Would any of these locations be particularly unsafe for me (a young female) to walk or take the transit back at night? I'm not talking really late at night, maybe around 10 or 11 at the most.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
I usually get my rooms on Hotwire.com. I've gotten some great deals. The downtown area is probably more expensive so you might do better with a cheaper room a bit farther out and getting a cheap car. You could see more of the city that way if you wanted. When I was there in May I got a room on Chambers in Aurora (right off I-70) for $29/night and it included a small fridge and hot plate. Very basic but cheap.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the tip! I've heard about Hotwire...and their prices are attractive, but I'm a little nervous about the whole can't find out name and location until after purchase, no refunds policy. I probably wouldn't mind so much for a night or two, but 1 week seems like it'd be quite a bit of money to pay upfront without knowing what you're getting...

Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer430 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I've heard about Hotwire...and their prices are attractive, but I'm a little nervous about the whole can't find out name and location until after purchase, no refunds policy. I probably wouldn't mind so much for a night or two, but 1 week seems like it'd be quite a bit of money to pay upfront without knowing what you're getting...
Their star ratings a pretty accurate. I've stayed in 2 star motels from Hotwire. There's nothing wrong with them. There's just no fancy restaurant, bar, gym, etc on site. They've always been brand name chains in my experience.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
I'm looking mainly at three places:
Melbourne Hotel and Hostel ($40/night) - 22nd street and Welton
Elyria Guesthouse ($60/night) - E. 47th Ave. and Brighton
Holiday Chalet ($90/night) - E. Colfax at Williams
There's really nowhere in Denver that is all that dangerous, so you'll be fine no matter where you go. Melbourne is in Five Points, and you'll hear bad stuff about that neighborhood, but isn't really that bad, and you would be able to take light rail from your doorstep (or walk) door to door -- that's nice. Your E Colfax location is pretty good; lots to do along Colfax, though you do have to be careful there late at night -- though it's not as bad as some make it out to be. You'd probably have to take the #15 bus to the convention center, though -- you could walk, but it'd be a hike. Elyria Guesthouse is probably your least good choice. Not only is it not in the greatest neighborhood, but it's also very far from downtown, and cut off by railyards and freeways. If you're driving anyway, there are much better choices at cheaper rates.

Personally, I think you should try to decide whether you're going to be in walking distance or not. With the exception of a few hostels, anywhere downtown is going to be expensive. If you don't care about walking and have a car, then go to the 'burbs -- plenty of cheap hotel rooms there in nice accommodation. If you don't have a car but don't mind taking transit, Stapleton area might be good; there is some nice hotels there for reasonable rates, and fairly plentiful buses downtown. Most hotels in the city of Denver will be on one bus route or another, so looking around the city is an option. Also, you can consider taking light rail, though there's actually not a lot of hotels right on the light rail stops, fewer than you'd think. (An example of one that WOULD be on light rail would be the Drury Hotel at the dry creek station on the southeast line).

Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 AM

That's really good to know, thank you. I've ruled out Elyria. It seems like either Melbourne or a hotel through hotwire would be my best bet. As much as I like the B & B on Colfax, it really is too expensive for me and I'd rather spend that money on a side trip to the mountains.

If I go through Hotwire, I'm guessing that my choice of locations should be either Greater Downtown Area or Denver Tech Centre? I don't see a choice for Stapleton...

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
i've been happy with Priceline's prices. You get to pick your hotel unless you use the "Name your price" feature, which gives you a lower rate.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
That's really good to know, thank you. I've ruled out Elyria. It seems like either Melbourne or a hotel through hotwire would be my best bet. As much as I like the B & B on Colfax, it really is too expensive for me and I'd rather spend that money on a side trip to the mountains.

If I go through Hotwire, I'm guessing that my choice of locations should be either Greater Downtown Area or Denver Tech Centre? I don't see a choice for Stapleton...

Thanks again for the help.
They might consider Stapleton part of "Greater Downtown" -- those places are around MLK Blvd and Quebec, FYI.

DTC places will probably be much cheaper -- it's basically the burbs, but you may be able to get light rail down there, depending on the relationship between the hotel and the actual light rail stop.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 PM

97 posts, read 383,266 times
hostels.com is very credible. I went to Montreal and found a beautiful hostel for $20/night, it wasn't even like a hostel! I suggest looking there too, but make sure you check the ratings.

edit: It kept adding on some advertisement thing when I typed in the Webpage, if it shows up again, I'm sorry hahaha.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM

138 posts, read 600,263 times
I just booked through priceline, name your price, and have the Hyatt in DTC for $46/night and Summerhill Stes in Westminster for $40/night. I think those are smokin' good prices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver