Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 32,220 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I know people have posted up similar questions, but just for a more personal frame of reference - I'm a 23 year old female, looking to move from Orange County, California to either Denver or Seattle. I can't make up my mind and I've been doing research on both cities but don't really see any concrete descriptions of them. I graduated university last year and am actually currently teaching English in China, but plan on moving to one of the cities the instant I move back home in August. I'm planning on going to law school to study immigration or international law, and would like to find a job at a law firm for a year.

Weather-wise, I'm looking for four seasons. I keep hearing that Seattle is 3 seasons of rain and a great summer, but is the rain really that bad? I'm living in Shanghai right now and it's been an awful freezing/rainy winter - and by freezing I mean around 40 degrees (I'm from CA!), and it's no fun. But I am slowly getting used to it.

I'm looking to move to a city that's diverse, relaxed but still full of spunk, good music scene, and lots to do in the downtown area. I'd move to New York City if I could afford it.

Are there a wide variety of activities in Denver? Where's a good neighborhood for someone in their early twenties? Near the university? How is the weather? How long does the winter last? Do I need a car to get around? Are rooms (sharing apartment) expensive in downtown? Has anyone ever lived in Seattle and Denver? What did you find to be the main difference and what did you prefer?

THANKS for any advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 AM

180 posts, read 564,350 times
I think these will help you:

Denver vs Seattle

Denver or Seattle?

I never lived in Seattle, but I did live in Portland, OR... and I'm from Ketchikan, AK. They all have the same Pacific Northwest weather patterns. It doesn't really freeze much, just about always overcast (no really, just about always), and it rains frequently. It's more like a mist kind of rain though. I'm looking in to moving to Denver as well BUT I can tell you that Denver gets 300+ days of sun per year, so that's a fairly big weather contrast for ya there.

Maybe a Denverite will pipe in about the local neighborhoods... From what I've been reading, I think we'd like the same areas. So far, that's Washington Park, Capitol Hill and maybe Highlands.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:23 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
There is lots of information on this forum about the Denver neighborhoods. Take a look in the indexes.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 AM

386 posts, read 1,687,811 times
Seattle is bigger, cloudier, rainier, more cosmopolitan.

Denver is more midwesterny, snowy, Latino, and conservative.

Both are outdoorsy, interesting, clean, and full of young people.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 AM

353 posts, read 1,701,872 times
If you think 40 is cold then you have some adjusting to get used to! Denver has cold days but they are usually bright and sunny, which makes all the difference. I came from a part of the country that is snowy. Denver is far from being genuinely snowy. We have had maybe a half dozen or less significant snow events here this winter. (3 inches or more) National Weather Service Climate

Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,064,817 times
Denver is fantastic. Would you be going to Law School at DU??
There are plenty of Law Offices everywhere.

If you teach now, would you think about teaching at a HighSchool that has an IB program?? Colorado has some fantastic IB schools.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 PM

168 posts, read 620,242 times
Default Denver - for the sun!

Hi - I just returned from 10 days in Suzhou - have you been there? I liked China very much, but it was cold! There are definitely law firms where you could clerk/work in Denver. The University of Denver has a good law school and also a U.S./China Development Institute founded by a professor from China. This program is affiliated with the Graduate School of International Studies. As an alum, I also mentor international studies through the International Student House at D.U. Areas to live that you may consider are the Washington Park, Observatory Park areas; Capitol Hill, or LoDo (lower downtown area). The sun here is amazing. Good luck. Xie Xie

Old 05-14-2010, 02:20 PM

109 posts, read 277,657 times
Denver and Seattle are roughly the same size both 600,000+ and 3 or so million in the metro area. Seattle has a large arts scene and a thriving downtown. But since Denver is the largest city for nearly a thousand miles around it is often a larger hub for the arts. The Denver Performing Arts Complex is the largest in the world. They both have active young downtowns but Seattle probably has the edge. Denver is more active and has beautiful weather year round, but the weather is eratic with a decent amount of snow in the fall and spring. Seattle is cool and over cast pretty much every day October through May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver