Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:42 PM

401 posts, read 487,821 times

Advertisements

I can help address the schools, if you are just looking at a site like greatschools.com you are not going to get a true representation of a school. Most of that is based around test scores and parents that bother to get on and leave a review.

Many schools here have English Second Language Learners which can bring those test scores down as they tend to have more difficulty with the standardized testing.

We live on the North side of Denver in Adams 12 school district. We have many great schools and different school choices including charter schools that specialize in Gifted and Talented students, look up Stargate Charter School. We also have STEM options, IB options and public schools that specialize in the arts.

Also, many of the school districts let you choice into schools so you don't necessarily have to go to your neighborhood school. Charter schools work on a lottery basis and for the Stargate mentioned above you have to test in.

The most popular school districts here are Cherry Creek School District, Adams 12 School District, Douglas County and Boulder Valley.

You can buy in Broomfield and still be in Boulder Valley school district without having to pay as much as Boulder.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-07-2017 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 05:31 PM

45 posts, read 90,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
I can help address the schools, if you are just looking at a site like greatschools.com you are not going to get a true representation of a school. Most of that is based around test scores and parents that bother to get on and leave a review.

Many schools here have English Second Language Learners which can bring those test scores down as they tend to have more difficulty with the standardized testing.

We live on the North side of Denver in Adams 12 school district. We have many great schools and different school choices including charter schools that specialize in Gifted and Talented students, look up Stargate Charter School. We also have STEM options, IB options and public schools that specialize in the arts.

Also, many of the school districts let you choice into schools so you don't necessarily have to go to your neighborhood school. Charter schools work on a lottery basis and for the Stargate mentioned above you have to test in.

The most popular school districts here are Cherry Creek School District, Adams 12 School District, Douglas County and Boulder Valley.

You can buy in Broomfield and still be in Boulder Valley school district without having to pay as much as Boulder. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the school districts, happy to help.
Thank you for this helpful information. We would really like to be in a walkable area close to amenities, and are interested in some of the neighborhoods downtown. For example, we noticed that there is a Cherry Creek close to the tech park with good schools, but there is also a downtown Cherry Creek neighborhood, but the schools aren't as highly rated. We like the idea of the downtown neighborhood because of the walkability and proximity to shops/restaurants/amenities. Even though the schools aren't as highly rated, are they considered good schools? (Steck Elementary (this is highly rated), Hill Campus of Arts and Sciences and George Washington High School (the middle and high school didn't get as good ratings). Is this a good area for families?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:58 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimike View Post
"downtown" Cherry Creek neighborhood...Is this a good area for families?
Yes.
If you have $900+K for a house.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 AM

401 posts, read 487,821 times
Quote:
Thank you for this helpful information. We would really like to be in a walkable area close to amenities, and are interested in some of the neighborhoods downtown. For example, we noticed that there is a Cherry Creek close to the tech park with good schools, but there is also a downtown Cherry Creek neighborhood, but the schools aren't as highly rated. We like the idea of the downtown neighborhood because of the walkability and proximity to shops/restaurants/amenities. Even though the schools aren't as highly rated, are they considered good schools? (Steck Elementary (this is highly rated), Hill Campus of Arts and Sciences and George Washington High School (the middle and high school didn't get as good ratings). Is this a good area for families?
Hi! Cherry Creek is one of the more expensive areas as noted above but Cherry Creek downtown is a great area. I have many friends with families that live down there and they love the neighborhoods and the schools. I have a friend who's children go to Hill Campus and really I haven't heard anything negative from them. You are close to a whole lot of great amenities including bike trails, state parks, downtown, shopping, restaurants, festivals, and parks. It is also easily accessible to the interstates and the airport for travel.

Overall Cherry Creek School District is one of the most popular in the area.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
As you've already found out, the Cherry Creek neighborhood is not the same thing as the Cherry Creek school district. The school district is known for being very good (although like anywhere else, some schools are going to be better than others) but draws mostly from suburban areas. The Cherry Creek neighborhood is a vibrant urban neighborhood with walkability and amenities.

It's also important to be aware that Denver Public Schools has a strong choice system. It's true that the most popular schools are hardest to get into if you aren't zoned for them, and if you want to be guaranteed a seat at a specific school, then you should live in that enrollment area. However, there are many other good options via the choice system, including charters and magnet schools.

As for the specific schools, I will say that where we used to live, we were zoned for Hill and GW and I choose to move to Stapleton, where I was happier with the schools, but I know families from our elementary with kids at both of those schools and they seem satisfied. The reality is that the numbers and "school grades" are never going to directly reflect any individual child's experience. If you are an involved parent who supports your child's education, they are going to do well at most schools.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,663 times
Denver's tech scene is pathetic compared to AUS or SoCal if you ask me. It's way too small - almost a city where in some parts of the tech industry people know each other by name.

DEN's winters are much more mild than people think. We barely had one this year - it was mostly in the 70s and 80s in March. But Austin is significantly warmer than DEN year round.

Denver's COL is rising and probably ahead of Austin at this point. Despite that, I think Denver has better mass transit and is cleaner than AUS.

AUS or SoCal If you ask me. Seattle just sucks - wouldn't even put it on the same level as the other options.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 AM

760 posts, read 884,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Denver's tech scene is pathetic compared to AUS or SoCal if you ask me. It's way too small - almost a city where in some parts of the tech industry people know each other by name.
I wouldn't say this is a negative thing. One of the things that the Denver tech scene is praised for is the team work and collaboration. It's not a rat race, and generally start ups like to work together to help each other out to solve bigger problems for the community. This is why I enjoy working for a company based here in Denver. I can't stand working with the huge firms on the coasts. Too competitive, over saturated, and FAR too demanding of deadlines/working hours.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:04 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Quote:
When I lived in Dallas I ran into people I'd worked with (in IT) all the time. It's not endemic to Denver.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:39 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:

DEN's winters are much more mild than people think. We barely had one this year - it was mostly in the 70s and 80s in March. But Austin is significantly warmer than DEN year round.

Denver's COL is rising and probably ahead of Austin at this point. Despite that, I think Denver has better mass transit and is cleaner than AUS.

AUS or SoCal If you ask me. Seattle just sucks - wouldn't even put it on the same level as the other options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
When I lived in Dallas I ran into people I'd worked with (in IT) all the time. It's not endemic to Denver.
I would hardly call it pathetic. Nothing really compares to California. I know nothing about Austin. When I consider tech here I include DTC and Boulder and everything in between.

I do know people by name but that should be expected if you network.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:05 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I wouldn't say this is a negative thing. One of the things that the Denver tech scene is praised for is the team work and collaboration. It's not a rat race, and generally start ups like to work together to help each other out to solve bigger problems for the community. This is why I enjoy working for a company based here in Denver. I can't stand working with the huge firms on the coasts. Too competitive, over saturated, and FAR too demanding of deadlines/working hours.
I know in my industry it's hard enough to find talent to even join the company in DEN. Not the case at all in TX, but doesn't seem oversaturated like in SoCal either.

My last company was a large tech company and hosted a bunch of employees who really held no true work ethic and I was targeted for almost working too hard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver