Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 AM

17,729 posts, read 29,957,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Wheat Ridge has one of the oldest populations of the suburbs. Not especially "kid oriented". Not that there are no kids, but there may not be any in close proximity to a house one would buy.
Yes, Wheat Ridge is full of old people.
But, if you plan to live there for 10+ years it is going to change dramatically.
Those people are "old". Soon to die off or move to assisted living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Yes, Wheat Ridge is full of old people.
But, if you plan to live there for 10+ years it is going to change dramatically.
Those people are "old". Soon to die off or move to assisted living.
Or maybe not in 10 years. People are "retiring in place" more and living longer, like into their 90s in many cases. Someone with kids of the OP's age should look for a place where there are other kids those ages.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,316,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Stapleton isn't at all like Staten Island - definitely not politically (it's very liberal!), and I don't think visually either, <snip>
When I think of Staten Island, I think more of what it smells like than looks like. My kids got into the habit of screaming "turn on recirculate" when crossing the Verrazano.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 AM

264 posts, read 703,949 times
To the OP, we will be moving back to the Denver area in July as well. Lived there a few years back. You will enjoy the summers and the winters are not that bad. Go see a Rockies game and reveal in the fact you're not sweating like a pig at 9:00 PM. It's quite awesome.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 10,555 times
Default Our initial experience

So we were able to spend a weekend in Denver.

Here is some information for those in the same dilemma.
We had two main requirements

1. Commute time 20-30 mins to Downtown
2. Great schools

Plus would be close to trails. 500-650K

We looked at 3 main areas:

1. GreenWood Village, 80111 and 80112. Home inventory is low, homes are old. The area feels old, but couldn't get a sense of kids playing around in the neighborhoods much. This feeds into the well know Cherry Creek School District.

2. Highlands Ranch: further south, new homes, great recreation centers, schools are good, but have to take the light rail to downtown. Will take 45 min on RTD and another 10 to park car, plus whatever it takes to walk to your work place. I timed the commutes on I-25 in the morning, anywhere even around DTC to Downtown can be a mess, 30-45 mins and unpredictable.

3. Broomfield, Mckay, Redlead, Broadlands that feeds into Coyote Ridge Elemntary, Westlake Middle and Legacy high. We liked this area, well planned and good schools. Plus kids playing outside in the neighborhood.

Overall, decided to rent in Broomfield for a year, before purchasing.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrr View Post
So we were able to spend a weekend in Denver.

Here is some information for those in the same dilemma.
We had two main requirements

1. Commute time 20-30 mins to Downtown
2. Great schools

Plus would be close to trails. 500-650K

We looked at 3 main areas:

1. GreenWood Village, 80111 and 80112. Home inventory is low, homes are old. The area feels old, but couldn't get a sense of kids playing around in the neighborhoods much. This feeds into the well know Cherry Creek School District.

2. Highlands Ranch: further south, new homes, great recreation centers, schools are good, but have to take the light rail to downtown. Will take 45 min on RTD and another 10 to park car, plus whatever it takes to walk to your work place. I timed the commutes on I-25 in the morning, anywhere even around DTC to Downtown can be a mess, 30-45 mins and unpredictable.

3. Broomfield, Mckay, Redlead, Broadlands that feeds into Coyote Ridge Elemntary, Westlake Middle and Legacy high. We liked this area, well planned and good schools. Plus kids playing outside in the neighborhood.

Overall, decided to rent in Broomfield for a year, before purchasing.
Good choice!

Old 07-28-2017, 04:15 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,306,938 times
thanks for coming back with your update and observations. Renting and making sure an area is right for you is always a good option!

Old 07-28-2017, 04:16 PM

17,729 posts, read 29,957,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrr View Post
decided to rent in Broomfield for a year, before purchasing.
Some people are smarter than the average bear.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:25 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,223,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
thanks for coming back with your update and observations. Renting and making sure an area is right for you is always a good option!
I always like it when people come back and close the loop on these forums. In the case of the relocation questions, it's interesting what choices people decided to make, and if their perceptions aligned with the suggestions made by locals. I've found some of the most in depth and unbiased observations about places have come from newcomers who have taken the time to write detailed descriptions after the fact. I think it's very helpful for future readers.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I always like it when people come back and close the loop on these forums. In the case of the relocation questions, it's interesting what choices people decided to make, and if their perceptions aligned with the suggestions made by locals. I've found some of the most in depth and unbiased observations about places have come from newcomers who have taken the time to write detailed descriptions after the fact. I think it's very helpful for future readers.
I agree. I love the "see ourselves as others see us" posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver