Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:03 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbark813 View Post
Yeah, I think the smell is subjective. Personally, I think dogs and dog pee smell worse.
The difference is, the vast majority of indoor dogs are housebroke therefore the house will not smell anything at all like dog urine. If a dog owners house smells like dog it's because that's the odor of the dog, not the dogs urine.

Dont get wrong. I'm a dog person but I'm also a big fan of cats. I never owned a cat or ever wanted to have a cat as a pet, but I always leave food and water out for the homeless family of 4 blonde alley cats and one black cat that live in an empty garage on a neighbor's property. I enjoy watching them catnap on a hot Sumner afternoon in the shade of the big live oaks in the front yard. The way they lounge away the day its easy to imagine a pride of lions doing the very same thing somewhere in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 07:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
^^That's not exactly a "difference". The vast majority of pet cats are littler box trained as well. Again, it's a case of the few making it bad for everybody.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-28-2017 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: *litter

Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Are you actually contacting places and being told that they won't rent to you with cats or are you ruling out listings that don't explicitly state cats are ok without calling them?

The reason I ask is that there is a large management company in my area that I know rents out to pet owners, but when I was just looking on their website, I didn't see anything on there that mentioned pets one way or the other. If you look at their listings on Craigslist, they have dogs Ok and Cats OK checked off, but the same listing on their own website doesn't say that.

If you want their info, let me know and I'll DM you.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 AM

73 posts, read 58,520 times
We're focusing on places that say cats are ok but we have tried a few places and were told no cats or pets. We almost had a house the other day but the owner ended up giving the lease to another family because they didn't have pets.

If you could send me the management company info that would be great.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:54 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
I've lived in many different areas and I've never had as much trouble finding a place to rent that would accept pets as much as I have looking in the Denver metro area. Are Denverites, or Coloradans, just not pet-lovers in general?
Your thread title is overly defensive. Some home owners don't rent to pet renters because they have animals themselves on the premises, or if it is a SFH because they don't want the house to smell bad when/if they rent or sell to someone else. Some don't want the native wildlife slaughtered by pets. There are lots of reasons why someone would not rent to pets, only one of which is dislike of them.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:54 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
We're not idiots/*******s. We have our pets trained.
I didn't say you were. Most pet owners are good. It is the ones that don't care that ruin it for everyone else.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:09 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
We're not idiots/*******s. We have our pets trained.
I'm sure you do, but in a landlord's market, we don't have to take unnecessary risk.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Lord no. People seem to feel entitled to take their dogs everywhere. I assume many are renters.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:28 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,262 times
Denver is very pet friendly, but since it is a landlord's market no one wants to take the risk with cats. Cat urine is truly evil. If it gets into carpets you must rip them out to the subflooring and use Kilz before reflooring. Same with drywall. My uncle had a rental where he pretty much had to re-do the entire floor and some walls to the tune of thousands of dollars. Yes, many cat owners are responsible but it just takes one to ruin a rental.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM

73 posts, read 58,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Denver is very pet friendly, but since it is a landlord's market no one wants to take the risk with cats.
A couple things wrong with this argument.

1. Pet-friendly means understanding that pets/cats are more than just risk. Pets are part of the family. Pet-friendly people know this. Kids are risk too. People in general are risk.

2. If "no one" wanted to take the risk with cats then there would be no listings that accepted cats. Some do, but as I've discovered, they're not as common.

I understand owners not wanting to take on the extra risk but those that don't are not pet-friendly by definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: