Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:24 AM

809 posts, read 2,884,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
jjacobeclark,

Your response is extremely uneducated and inappropriate. Your previous rantings have shown considerable ignorance because of your inability to read and understand very simple and harmless discussions.

I will let it go out to the readers of this forum if they consider my previous posts as helpful in finding stores that sell grocery products at a discount which the OP said in his post---"Discount Grocery?" However, if you have deficiencies in understanding then I cannot help you.

Your responses and posts will not be read by me--you are inconsequential and add very little to this forum--you are now on my ignore list; I suggest you do the same for my posts.

So, ShutUP, you know what I mean...

Livecontent
I honestly had to agree with jjacobeclark........ I asked about stores that are similar to Aldi. I didn't ask about specialty markets. And I really didn't care to hear about whats being built around Denver (especially since it's up in the NW quadrant and I wont ever be in that vicinity).........

Like jjacob said.... if you don't know what Aldi is don't post! I appreciate the people who recommended Sunflowers since that store seems "similar" to Aldi.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Aldi and Sunflower are nowhere near similiar. jjacobeclark was rude, and I found livecontent's post helpful. The thread title is "Discount Grocery"

Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
SubaruFiend,

What you must know is that all threads are for all to read and to get information, even threads that you start. You do not and can not control the information posted on a thread.

I gave good information about "discount grocery" and that includes other markets than just markets catering to simple folks. Ethnic markets offer many good choices of quality and value. Moderator cut: let's not go there

I cannot, nor will I attempt to influence your living and buying choices. Again, this thread is open to all who read, and the forum is especially helpful for people who seek to learn more about the Denver area. If I digress to colorful discussions about history, neighborhoods and my own feelings; what is the harm. You do not have to read what I have written; you are not my only reader.

I cannot control or attempt to satisfy people like yourself, who have such a myopic and narrow view of culture; you are what you are and I accept your limitation challenges. I welcome diversity, knowing that it is not only of ethnic groups and cultures, but also differences of abilities, intelligence, comprehension, values and learning. Welcome to Denver.

Livecontent

Last edited by katzenfreund; 01-23-2009 at 08:44 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
SubaruFiend,

What you must know is that all threads are for all to read and to get information, even threads that you start. You do not and can not control the information posted on a thread.

I gave good information about "discount grocery" and that includes other markets than just markets catering to simple folks. Ethnic markets offer many good choices of quality and value. Moderator cut: let's not go there
I cannot, nor will I attempt to influence your living and buying choices. Again, this thread is open to all who read, and the forum is especially helpful for people who seek to learn more about the Denver area. If I digress to colorful discussions about history, neighborhoods and my own feelings; what is the harm. You do not have to read what I have written; you are not my only reader.

I cannot control or attempt to satisfy people like yourself, who have such a myopic and narrow view of culture; you are what you are and I accept your limitation challenges. I welcome diversity, knowing that it is not only different ethnic groups and cultures, but also difference of abilities, intelligence, comprehension, values and learning. Welcome to Denver.

Livecontent
[mod cut]My statements that I do not care for those markets does not mean I do not surround myself on a daily basis with diversity. I am simply looking for a SIMPLE answer of something that is SIMILAR to Aldi........ perhaps my title should have been "SOMETHING SIMILAR TO ALDI" instead of discount grocery, but once you click the link and read my first post you can blatantly see that I was requesting knowledge of a store similar to Aldi.

Moderator cut: please don't be rude

Last edited by katzenfreund; 01-23-2009 at 08:43 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I have no idea what this place is like, so all I can offer is, in reality, what is available here.

We used to have Grocery Warehouse, operated by Albertson's, they are gone. We used to have Cub Foods, they are gone too.

So really, I have nothing new to add, it's already been written.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Does anyone know why (I know this had been brought up in other threads) Denver doesn't have Trader Joes???? That really isn't a "discount grocery" but I really like some of their products (even though I DO realize that Trader Joes does more "local" buying, so all the products won't be the same in every TJ's).......

I know they have Trader Joes in North Carolina because my family visited last summer and we were able to stock up at one out there...... but why not in Denver????

I think I had previously read there was some sort of restriction or law that Colorado has that prevents them from opening? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
There is a whole Trader Joe's and Ikea thread out there, if you use the search feature you will find them. I like to bounce around for discount items. Big Lots has house hold products (cleaning/paper) for cheap and often energy drinks for cheap. There are tons of stpres like Dollar Store, Family Dollar, Save-A-Lot type places that also carry non-perishable items.

When I am in Chicago, I love to get bottles of wine at Trader Joe's for the cheap prices. Dicounted alcohol at those prices is not easy to find here, but everything else can be, just have to bounce around to discount stores.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
HI Folks, please remember to be respectful to other members. If there is a post that is rude or insulting, please report it and don't respond... this will only result in flame wars and deleted posts.
Thank you!

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,921 times
Default Sad choice for groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I was wondering what some of the discount grocery stores (like Aldi) are out in Denver??????? (I know Aldi isn't out there)....... just so I have some references for when I move out there! Thanks!
I moved to the greater Denver area this past August. I'm still in shock at what the folks here have to pay (even at Walmart) because I too LOVED Aldi's for "staples" and then would shop the chain groceries for sales on fresh fruit etc. I recently drove to one Save A Lot and was underwhelmed by what they offered. They have their own brands on quite a few items, but the store seemed disorganized, older and a bit dirty. Sunflower Market does have nice sales on a few items, but if you are and Aldi's fan...prepare to start clipping coupons and increasing the amount of money you spend for groceries each month. There are one or two chains that still double coupons and Walmart will "price match" the competition if you bring the ads when you shop. However, it's a lot of extra work. I keep hoping Aldi's will expand here next. I guess the trade off is the fabulous weather here in Denver! Sure beats Northern IL in the winter time!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:08 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
It might help if we knew what kinds of foods you were seeking (e.g., produce, packaged/processed goods, canned items, bulk grains, meats).

A preferred buyer's card plus coupons at King Soopers will cut your costs dramatically on pre-packaged foods, but coupon clipping takes time and organization. For bulk foods, Sunflower seems to be fairly affordable and the selection is pretty good. I wouldn't write off ethnic markets like the one Livecontent described, especially for produce. I've never been in a Sav-a-lot, but it sounds like the closest thing Denver has to an Aldi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver