Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 32,792 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a discount grocery store, the kind that gets groceries that are about to expire and sells them for cheap. If anyone can help me that would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Look for 99 cent or dollar stores. In Califorornia we had this place called 99 cents only stores (in fact, I think given the choice I might take them over Trader Joes - they are great for saving money.)

99¢ Only Stores - Home - Nothing Over 99¢ Ever!

99 cents loc: denver, co - Google Maps

Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 32,792 times
I'm looking for something like the Dacono Discount Grocery in Dacono, CO.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
If you want discount groceries there is:

The Friday Store
5635 Newland Way
Arvada, CO 80002
(303) 422-8562

Hours Fridan and Saturday Only
9:00 AM-5:00 PM

The store buys out of date, end of lots, excess inventory, no longer marketed etc. from food brokers, distributors, grocery stores, restaurants etc. They sell dry goods, frozen, refrigerated and many times they have discounted bread.

I have been there numerous times and there are many bargains. It is difficult to find as it is in an industrial park. The way to get there is go south on Marshall and turn West on 56th ave., this is where the Fedex local office is located---go down and turn north into Newland Way--which is in between very old buildings in a business park; there will be car repair places; go to the end, on the east side is the Friday Store.

This place has been is business at this location for about 25 years.

Another good place that has numerous dry good grocery products that are heavily discounted from the same sources is
BigLots.com, Brand Names. Closeout Prices.. They have numerous locations and be sure to register for their "Buzz" club because they send discount coupons for 20% off when they have a big sale.

Another source is SHARE Colorado Online - Every month or two it has a sale on Saturday to unload excess stock.

I am not impressed by 99 cent stores as they buy most products that are specifically produced for their stores and really are no bargain for pack or quality. Big Lots has some of these products but it does have many other products that are bought directly from distributors that are wrongly labeled, excess and no longer marketed. For example I bought Ocean Spray canned whole berry cranberry juice for 33 cents because the label was upside down and I had a 20% coupon so I paid 27 cents and Organic Crushed Tomatoes discontinued by Hunt's, 28 oz. can, for 60 cents with coupon--48 cents. All these products were in date. See if you can get that bargain at Whole Paycheck--I mean Whole Foods.

If you have the time, you can check out your local grocery stores. Most have reduced shelves, especially King Soopers--you can get many items very cheap, sometimes free if you have the coupon. As a suggestion, try to go to the stores on Mondays or Tuesdays because after the heavy weekends and before the sales on Wednesday, the department managers clear the shelves for the new week.

And most importantly to save money on food--learn to cook, and eat less at restaurants.

That is how to be carefree, have minimum expenses, no debts and simply
Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-10-2008 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 04:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Coincidently the LA Times had a great article on 99 cents only stores (these stores are a lot bigger and better than the standard strip mall 99 cent stores):

Making a meal of 99-cent items

If you need a login and password for a lot of news and info sources go to:

Bugmenot.com - login with these free web passwords to bypass compulsory registration

Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 24,307 times
Default Try H-Mart

It's not 99 cents and not necessarily discount, but it's a lot cheaper than the grocery stores and Super Walmart.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2co View Post
It's not 99 cents and not necessarily discount, but it's a lot cheaper than the grocery stores and Super Walmart.
Excellent Suggestion. This would be helpful Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices. and that it has a store in the Denver area Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices. on South Parker in Aurora.

There are many different ethnic markets where you can find some good deals
Other examples:

Avanza Market, owned by Nash Finch,a large grocery distributor, good prices on Mexican food products and many products that are not available from other sources--Lambs heads--yummy.

Welcome to Avanza Supermarket!

Liborio Market--a well known grocery store from Los Angeles that is known for South American products--It is opening more stores in the area.

Si es de Allálo Tenemos Aquí

Livecontent

Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM

46 posts, read 207,150 times
Thats what dollar stores do....other than that the discount bin at king soopers?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverjoe04 View Post
Thats what dollar stores do....other than that the discount bin at king soopers?
No, I disagree. Most products that a dollar store carries are specifically packed, quantitized, qualitized, and priced to sell at a dollar, or multiples of a dollar. It is the same when super markets start selling these same products for a dollar. It is perception that they want to create, that they are great bargains.

A great bargain is something that is normally sold at a much higher price because of quality and/or quantity and you are able to obtain that product for a big reduced price. So the real bargain hunters knows where to shop; when to shop; and what to buy--that can apply to any commodity in addition to food.

A great bargain can also be obtain is understanding the segmentation of prices for a item in the market. Items can be segmented by time and/or name placement--this is a creation of my little mind.

So that when a product is first offered for sale, as in an item of clothing--it can obtain a share of the market at the higher price from the segment of the population who will pay more; it is subsequently discounted further and at each level captures a population segment and the real winner is the "bottom feeder" like myself who wants and gets it at the cheapest level. This I would call time/price segmentation.

Name segmentation is where a the same product carries numerous trade names and each sits aside each other, on the shelve. Each has a different price but catches a different segment of the buyer because of perceptions of value; either intrinsically or extrinsically. Intrinsically being--"I believe it is better" or Extrinsically being "I am better person, and I deserve this or this is what is perceived as better by others". Or, the real bargain hunter who knows that all these products are the same and wiil buy the cheapest. I challenge you to tell me the difference between King Soopers Salt and Morton Salt, Iodized, Same Pack.--It probably comes out of the same salt source--but some people will only buy a name brand because they perceive it as better for the "better" people.

Remember, I said most products a dollar store sells are not bargains--there could be some advantages in terms of the products that carry a lower price, but are perceived as less value only because of name recognition. Or, they may buy a shipment of name brand that carries a significant lower price. However, you have to be a good bargain hunter to see and perceive and not walk out of the store without the other over priced junk.

Ah, what a world of marketing that catches all of us in the traps of deceptions.

Livecontent

Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 AM

809 posts, read 2,883,759 times
Default Discount Grocery?

I was wondering what some of the discount grocery stores (like Aldi) are out in Denver??????? (I know Aldi isn't out there)....... just so I have some references for when I move out there! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver