Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:18 PM

12 posts, read 32,360 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in my campervan in the national forests around Salida and Gunnison. I have a solar system for power to work online. It has worked out well for me, but a downside is that I can't stay anywhere for more than 14 days without having to move. I'm also getting an itch to live in the city where I can use public transit and just barely ever move my van. I've heard of businesses hiring van dwellers to live-in on their property and provide lax security in exchange for a place to park long-term. Mainly just to call the cops if there's a break-in or trespasser. I've looked on craigslist, Indeed, etc, and I'm not exactly sure where to inquire about such a gig as it isn't very ordinary. I would be open to being paid, but wouldn't be opposed to providing a pair of eyes on a property for free if it's close to a grocery store and gym. I'm clean and quiet, very self sufficient. Anyone have any advice in finding something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Try putting Position Wanted ads in Craigslist, telling them what you're proposing here, etc. Costs nothing, might work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:23 AM

207 posts, read 481,121 times
Tiny House enthusiasts are trying to do this all the time.
So include the term tiny house in your searches and ads.
There are campsites in town but $750/month!!

Old 07-01-2017, 08:23 AM

776 posts, read 956,118 times
I don't think that most home owners will be willing to do that.....

They don't know you from Captain Kangaroo. And he is dead.

Jim B.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 32,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
I don't think that most home owners will be willing to do that.....

They don't know you from Captain Kangaroo. And he is dead.

Jim B.
Not a home owner, I'm more talking about a small business. Like a used car dealership or like a pawn shop, etc. Maybe some place has a problem with skateboarders. So I could be in my van in the parking lot, hear skateboarders, come out, show them the signs and tell them to go somewhere else.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:21 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Drive yourself around to used car dealerships and similar places that you think might want to avail themselves of your services and see what they say when you offer them. As mentioned, try Craigslist. Print out flyers describing this scenario and post them around.

I'm skeptical that there is the interest you think there would be but you won't know until you ask. But no, there is no formal service or website or whatever to do the leg work for you to find a place.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 PM

63 posts, read 87,530 times
You might want to try the Boulder Elks Lodge. They have a parking area for RV's, in the past it was free, not sure what their current policy is or if they have a time limit. But it seems like the kind of place that might be happy for some help in return for parking your camper longer term.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:23 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
A lot of RV parks have "workampers" who put in a certain number of hours a week in exchange for a free sites and utilities and sometimes a small salary. There are websites for that. Try searching under "work camping".

Old 07-03-2017, 01:44 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Try construction sites.

Theft of materials and tools from construction sites is a real problem.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:30 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
I have seen used car dealerships do this in order to have someone on the lot at night as a security measure. I would stop on by lots and talk to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver