Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 14,754 times

Advertisements

The bike paths on Google maps look extensive. LIke Cherry Creek Trail and S. Platte River Trail. A rider could start from downtown at Strange Craft Beer Co. and ride S. Platte River Trail all the way to Littleton, a 10.5 mile ride. Or take the Cherry Creek Trail from The University of Colorado and ride it all the way to Cherry Creek State Park at 16.5 miles. These trails look pretty nice to ride on, a multi use path.(MUP).
I could live anywhere close to these trails and commute to downtown on a hardtail mountain bike and not have to use a car for my transportation.
I was curious to hear if anyone else cycles around town and even commutes to work on a bike?
Can you cycle all year long?
I really like all the green trails that show up on Google map when I click on bicycling!

Jimbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:11 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
I thought I posted infrequently and here you are with 2 posts/year :-)

I bike about 100 miles/week, for recreation (I don't work), mostly on west side of town, where I live. I frequently bike the Bear Creek Trail into Bear Creek Park. Less frequently, I ride up and over Dinosaur Ridge then up to Red Rocks. Occasionally I ride the Platte River trail (easiest of all my rides, as it's the flattest). I typically limit my biking season to when I'm not skiing, but for the occasional warm days we get in winter, I do pull out the bike from time to time.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:41 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Plenty of people I know bike commute year round with the exception of very cold or snowy days.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 PM

92 posts, read 98,313 times
If you live on Cherry Creek or the S Platte trail, biking is extremely easy. I commute daily from the cherry creek area via the cherry creek trail. No stop lights or street crossings until you get off the trail downtown. S Platte is the same way, although last I rode it, there were some detours that put you on actual roads.

Denver isn't Boulder yet, but cycling infrastructure keeps improving and Hancock seems very interested in making it better and better.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:19 AM

207 posts, read 481,121 times
Darn, I can't find the article anywhere, but there was a 5pm commuter race from Downtown to Mineral Ave.
The bicycle beat the car and the light rail.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:34 PM

401 posts, read 487,408 times
We live in Thornton and can easily get on the S Platte Trail and go all the way out to Littleton if we want. We also have a ton of trails that go West. My husband rides to work when the weather allows, he loves it and it is mainly on bike trails.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:18 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
You can ride all year round but don't count on doing it every day. Some of the paved paths get plowed. When they don't, a buildup of snow that repeatedly melts and freezes becomes dangerously slippery.

If your commute has backup options in public transit, that's a good arrangement. If the distance is short, you can always walk instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver