Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:33 AM

3 posts, read 2,634 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
So I'm 24 fresh out of culinary school and I was looking to relocate to Denver. I found an apartment in cap hill it's a studio for about 825 not a bad start in my opinion but I'm from Mississippi and everything is cheap in comparison, due to everyone being poor. So I guess really the question here is what to expect? I don't wanna feel like a complete outsider. What's the job market like especially in my field? And is it possible to do the carless life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Define careless, please.

Denver is a major metro with the lowest unemployment in the country and a huge influx of people. It's crowded and growing with people from all over the country.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
There are a lot of people in Denver who came from somewhere else. It's more common for me to meet people from elsewhere then to meet people who are from Denver originally. You'll be fine as a non-native. Capitol Hill is an ideal location to live without a car. A culinary degree will provide you with a lot of job options. Welcome to Denver!

Old 05-03-2017, 01:15 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times
Sounds like you got a great deal on an apartment. Cap Hill is the perfect location for you. There are literally hundreds of restaurants within a 2 or 3 miles. It seems like a new place opens every day. You can be car-less in that location. That neighborhood is the worst in town for parking anyway. Here's a recent article on new restaurants:

https://denver.eater.com/2016/8/30/1...ll-winter-2016

Old 05-03-2017, 09:47 PM

834 posts, read 743,747 times
I think I just read an article about how restaurants were having a hard time staffing due to people leaving to go make more tending marijuana leaves...so you should be good there.

That's a very good price.

You can be carless, though eventually you may find it easier to have a car and may want one too venture out further on your own.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:50 PM

834 posts, read 743,747 times
And don't worry about being an outsider! There's people here from all over world.

The one time I went to Mississippi it was like being in a third world country. Maybe where you live is nicer, but I'd definitely make this move!

Old 05-04-2017, 09:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndusGuys View Post
Hey guys,
So I'm 24 fresh out of culinary school and I was looking to relocate to Denver. I found an apartment in cap hill it's a studio for about 825 not a bad start in my opinion but I'm from Mississippi and everything is cheap in comparison, due to everyone being poor. So I guess really the question here is what to expect? I don't wanna feel like a complete outsider. What's the job market like especially in my field? And is it possible to do the carless life?
It is possible to live without a car if you only ever live someplace either close to work and grocery store or with public transport to them. You are restricting your options, for sure, but if you can save money by doing without a car for a few years and actually SAVE that money, then you are cushioned in case the cheap rent rises. You absolutely would not want to be carless and unable to move elsewhere if the rent goes up too much or if you have to find a job that requires driving to it.

Denver has developed its transit system hugely since I first moved to CO, but it is still a less intensely-routed system than that of a large east-coast city.

And don't sweat the southern outsider thing. I never saw or heard anyone disparaging someone for that.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
A thick southern accent will get a few looks, but other than that, don't worry.

The downside of being carless is that you'll be relying on someone else to get you to the mountains.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:37 AM

401 posts, read 487,024 times
I am from Australia then lived in St Louis for 7 years before moving here. I have never had anyone be rude to be about not being a native. Most of this happens behind the keyboard. If you want to live without a car Capitol Hill is a great area to do that. Pretty soon we will have light rail in every which way from downtown. If you are ready for an adventure jump in and do it, I have no regrets moving here even though it is more crowded then 6 years ago

Old 05-05-2017, 05:49 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndusGuys View Post
Hey guys,
Just be yourself! Turn on that southern charm and meet people. When you move to somewhere you have to reach out and not expect people to reach out to you. The more effort you put into learning about a place the better. Don't forget to have fun and do activities that you enjoy and be open to people inviting you to do stuff. Engage life and you'll engage others. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver