Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 AM

49 posts, read 202,413 times

Advertisements

Some questions for you knowledgeable people here on City Data, excellent site.

I made a couple weekend trips to the Denver area, liked what I saw but have some questions. I should be moving there in a month or so.

Highlands Ranch

Driving through Highlands Ranch, I was expecting to see a bit more accessibility to some smaller strip malls/ coffee shops etc, all I saw were homes, and I drove many blocks. I saw one of the Rec. centers, seems nice but outside of that, again, all I saw were homes. Anyone in Highlands Ranch able to tell me the exact location of the shopping areas in the community, grocery stores etc? I am thinking that I simply did not drive by those areas, my drive was from the 470, down University, across Highlands Ranch Blvd and I think Up 85 (Santa Fe).

Where exactly will the new light rails stations be?

How many more new homes are planned for Highlands Ranch? I thought they were built out. Are there activities for a 3 and 13 year old, like soccer camps etc?

Castle Rock

What do you think my commute time would be from Castle Rock to the Wadsworth Blvd exit on the southwest side of the 470? Seems you can get a lot more home for the money and the scenery is beautiful but I don’t want a long commute to work, prefer to keep it 30 mins or less. How are the schools in Castle Rock? Are there activities for a 3 and 13 year old, like soccer, etc?

South East Aurora

Area looks nice, but there is so much development off that Smokey Hill exit, and tons of existing home sales just inside the southeast side of the 470 off Gartrell road.

Will this area (off Gartrell) ever rebound from the current housing bust? Any chance with all the resales that it could turn into primarily a rental style community as the homes aren’t selling? Could it end up being one of those slum areas as predicted in another thread where they say the suburbs will be the new slums?

Also, that area outside the 470 with all the new home developments, do you think those builders will have trouble finishing those huge communities with the current bust in housing? It seems like they might be adding 5 to 10,000 homes in that area.

How are the schools in that south east Aurora area? Are there activities for a 3 and 13 year old?

Ken Caryl Valley

Wow, I gotta say, what a beautiful valley. The homes are older, but how is that neighborhood? Do they get a lot more snow being in the valley? I saw a few deer in some backyards, is that prevalent and is it dangerous for kids? Being an older neighborhood, are there any children for our kids to play with in there? Are there a lot of activities for a 3 and 13 year old?

Food

Are there any good Chinese restaurants in either of the above 4 southern suburbs?
Any International markets for Latin and Asian foods?
Any really good pizza joints in either of the above 4 suburbs?

Sports

Any adult and youth soccer leagues, indoor and outdoor, in either of the above 4 suburbs?

Diversity

Am I likely to see much diversity in either of the above 4 suburbs?

Malls

Is the only mall to the south side of town the one at the 470 and 25? Is there a closer mall/shopping area to the above 4 communities?

Medical Facilities

Where is the nearest hospital to those communities.

I know, a lot of questions , will appreciate any input you can give me .

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Castle Rock information...

What do you think my commute time would be from Castle Rock to the Wadsworth Blvd exit on the southwest side of the 470? Ridiculously long, no matter how you slice it.

Food

Are there any good Chinese restaurants in CR? IMO, no.
Any International markets for Latin and Asian foods in CR? No.
Any really good pizza joints in CR? IMO, no.

Sports

Any adult and youth soccer leagues, indoor and outdoor, in either of the above 4 suburbs

Here's one for kids. Not sure about adults. If this isn't what you need, try googling "Castle Rock soccer."

Diversity

Am I likely to see much diversity in CR? No.

Malls

Is the only mall to the south side of town the one at the 470 and 25? Is there a closer mall/shopping area to the above 4 communities? Park Meadows is the closest to CR, but there are many, many more in the Denver Metro region.

Medical Facilities

Right now, the closest hospital is Sky Ridge (I-25 & Lincoln), but Centura is planning to build a hospital on the west side of CR.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-12-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
There are 6 shopping areas in HR not including any north of C-470. You past the largest one at Uni & HR Pwky. There are plenty of activites for kids and adults in all locations, community & private. Foothills Rec, South Suburban Rec & HRCA.

The commute would be disatrous from Smoky Hill.

Besides Park Meadows, there is a mall at Wadsworth & Bowles; Southwest Plaza.

Medical; Besides Sky Ridge in Lone Tree, there is Littleton on Broadway and there are medical places along University & Wadsworth, there is a new facility near C-470 & Ken Caryl, but I am not sure if it's completed. Farther north by Hampden is both Swedish and Porter.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 PM

86 posts, read 243,299 times
I love Castle Rock... it was named the best city in AMERICA for families. That being said there are so many wonderful things in Castle Rock.

The rec center is amazing... here is the link.

Town of Castle Rock - Photo Tour (http://www.crgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=229 - broken link)

The Rec Center guide

Town of Castle Rock - View our Recreation Guide (http://www.ci.castlerock.co.us/Page.asp?NavID=484 - broken link)

The rec center even will take trips to ski in the winter...

There is gymnastics...

Castle Rock School of Gymnastics - Castle Rock, CO

Music Lessons....

Inline Skating Hockey....

Swimming at the Rec....

There are plenty of golf courses with Junior Programs.

City Data: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Douglas County Schools were noted as the BEST in Colorado.

Douglas County School District news - Dec. 7 > School News > Stories > Castle Rock > YourHub.com (http://denver.yourhub.com/CastleRock...ry~158433.aspx - broken link)

Castle Rock, CO

Named best place to live for families

10 Best Towns for Families: And the Winners Are: Castle Rock, CO (http://www.parents.com/parents/story...kCurrentPage=2 - broken link)

We are looking to Move to Castle Rock, Co as well and we have a five year old and 13 year old (we seem to have that in common!)

Feel free to ask any additional info if needed.

One thing I would like to ad about Castle Rock, CO is check the Yellow Pages online and look up your favorite stores or restraunt... I am sure they are there... I was also pleased with that.

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I think someone mentioned the shopping at University and HR Pkwy. I think there is a Staples, Ross, TJ Maxx, Radio Shack, Whole Foods on that corner. Also, Town Center on HR Pkwy between Broadway and Lucent has Safeway, Hallmark, Michael's, UPS Store, Park-n-Ride, some smaller walkable shops and restaurants, Tattered Cover, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond. Aside from Park Meadows and Southwest Plaza Malls, there is a mall that was torn down to make way for a new shopping center around University and Arapahoe, too. I think the name is Southglen. It is still under construction. I live on the west side of HR, and I'm getting used to the shopping. I am used to things being closer to home. I'm right between Park Meadows and Southwest Plaza. I wish Costco was closer to home. It is about an 8-mile drive in either direction to get to either of the malls. Oh there is Aspen Grove on Santa Fe (85) and Mineral in Littleton. it has Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, etc. And the Outlets in Castle Rock.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM

90 posts, read 635,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalover View Post
[font=Arial]
Highlands Ranch

Driving through Highlands Ranch, I was expecting to see a bit more accessibility to some smaller strip malls/ coffee shops etc, all I saw were homes, and I drove many blocks. I saw one of the Rec. centers, seems nice but outside of that, again, all I saw were homes. Anyone in Highlands Ranch able to tell me the exact location of the shopping areas in the community, grocery stores etc? I am thinking that I simply did not drive by those areas, my drive was from the 470, down University, across Highlands Ranch Blvd and I think Up 85 (Santa Fe).

Starting on the West side, near 85:

Nice shopping center at the corner of Wildcat Reserve and Highland Ranch Blvd and across the street is Westridge Rec.

Town Center, a few lights up HR Blvd. runs all the way to Broadway with shops. Further up Broadway is Northridge Rec Center as well as a ton of restaurants and the giant AMC theater.

University and HR Blvd also has a large complex of shopping centers on all four corners as well as the intersection of Unversity and 470.

Back around on Wildcat (taking a right off of University at the Eastridge Rec Center) you'll get to another shopping center at MacArthur Ranch Road. And up that street is Southridge Rec Center (featuring the lazy river pool...)

But every mile in between is endless housing, this is true.

Where exactly will the new light rails stations be?

Lucent Blvd from what I've read.

How many more new homes are planned for Highlands Ranch? I thought they were built out. Are there activities for a 3 and 13 year old, like soccer camps etc?

Except for a couple of small spots (including the very expensive Backcountry) HR is built out. There are TONS of activities for both ages. In fact, that's pretty much the reason for HR's popularity with families. As a homeowner, you'll get the book of activities mailed to you each quarter with sign-up information.

Sports

Any adult and youth soccer leagues, indoor and outdoor, in either of the above 4 suburbs?

See above: a resounding YES for HR anyway.

Diversity

Am I likely to see much diversity in either of the above 4 suburbs?

No. Not much.

Malls

Is the only mall to the south side of town the one at the 470 and 25? Is there a closer mall/shopping area to the above 4 communities?

There's another mall up Wadsworth past Bowles that's very nice, although I can't for the life of me think of the name now.

Medical Facilities

There's quite a few in the area, including the two I pass the most: Skyridge along Lincoln and I-25 and Littleton Adventist on Broadway

I know, a lot of questions , will appreciate any input you can give me .

Thanks

PS I posted this on the Denver forum but was thinking since the cities are really not part of Denver, it is more suited here, moderators please feel free to delete the other thread.
The only thing I can tell you about Castle Rock to Wadsworth is there's no way you're getting that commute under 30 minutes during rush hour, even without bad weather or accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver