Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:44 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times

Advertisements

Another option is to move to the suburbs. I live in SW Littleton and am less than a half mile away from Chatfield State park, 5 miles from Waterton Canyon and within 10-15 minutes of various trailheads. My answer is yes, I can have my cake and eat it too because I still am within 40 minutes of downtown Denver but have daily access to the recreation I moved here for.

I moved from Naperville myself to here and just went back to visit family for 2 weeks. The traffic in Chicago *is* worse, and personally I can't stand the humidity anymore, even after only living here a year. I think one thing you need to keep in mind is the availability out the outdoors here. Back at home, you have a handful of forest preserves. Here, you have a huge playground. I mean, last month, I took a random day off work to go climb a 14er. Try doing that in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Why do people try to engage in this "oh have you tried this place" discussion? Its silly, there are malcontents in every place and we all get the reason most are having issues with Denver. Yeah its a big city, its not in nature, its growing because most people still like it despite the cost, and on top of it all this you live in the one country in the world where its so damn easy to just go elsewhere that is completely different in costs/climate/lifestyle/etc if you aren't happy. Telling someone maybe your opinion would change if you tried this or that suburb is just silly, if they don't like it they really should just plan a move and stop whining about it because its not about to change.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Why do people try to engage in this "oh have you tried this place" discussion? Its silly, there are malcontents in every place and we all get the reason most are having issues with Denver. Yeah its a big city, its not in nature, its growing because most people still like it despite the cost, and on top of it all this you live in the one country in the world where its so damn easy to just go elsewhere that is completely different in costs/climate/lifestyle/etc if you aren't happy.
You are being sarcastic, right?

Moving half way across the country is not easy or cheap. One generally does not just pick up and move to a place on a whim, and finding a job out of state isn't the easiest thing out there.

Quote:
Telling someone maybe your opinion would change if you tried this or that suburb is just silly, if they don't like it they really should just plan a move and stop whining about it because its not about to change.
The OP states he moved to Denver and felt like it was too similar to living in Chicago as he wanted to be closer to the mountains. Living in Denver proper and being in the mountains just isn't possible. Thus a suggestion to check out the suburbs or exburbs (like Evergreen) where you still have all the access to the job market of Denver, but have daily access to the mountains and trails is a solid compromise. Just because you don't like living downtown, doesn't mean that you can't make somewhere else in the Denver metro work for you. Living downtown Denver vs where I am near Chatfield would be two completely different lifestyles.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:41 PM

242 posts, read 251,270 times
Quote:
Why do people try to engage in this "oh have you tried this place" discussion? Its silly, there are malcontents in every place and we all get the reason most are having issues with Denver. Yeah its a big city, its not in nature, its growing because most people still like it despite the cost, and on top of it all this you live in the one country in the world where its so damn easy to just go elsewhere that is completely different in costs/climate/lifestyle/etc if you aren't happy. Telling someone maybe your opinion would change if you tried this or that suburb is just silly, if they don't like it they really should just plan a move and stop whining about it because its not about to change.
He asked a question in the Colorado forum seeking advice..
It's what forums are for

Personally, I much prefer the suburbs. Lakewood is mellow and it's easy hop on 70 and be in the foothills/mountains. My commute to downtown is fairly easy.

My girlfriend lived near city park, I hated it there.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:17 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
You are being sarcastic, right?

Moving half way across the country is not easy or cheap. One generally does not just pick up and move to a place on a whim, and finding a job out of state isn't the easiest thing out there.

The OP states he moved to Denver and felt like it was too similar to living in Chicago as he wanted to be closer to the mountains. Living in Denver proper and being in the mountains just isn't possible. Thus a suggestion to check out the suburbs or exburbs (like Evergreen) where you still have all the access to the job market of Denver, but have daily access to the mountains and trails is a solid compromise. Just because you don't like living downtown, doesn't mean that you can't make somewhere else in the Denver metro work for you. Living downtown Denver vs where I am near Chatfield would be two completely different lifestyles.
Something tells me the OP has ventured out from the city, but that's just a wild guess on my part.

Only reason I posted this is because these threads in here are tiring nonsense and whining about the city. None of these perceived problems are going to change or get better. In this case the mountains aren't going to get any closer, the traffic and cost of living are not going to get any better and the population is only going to grow. This Denver forum has become 50% threads that are just open therapy for malcontents in the area and then a bunch of local heroes trying to defend their fine city try to change their minds as if these threads are an affront to them and can't go unchallenged.

I say be meaner to the malcontents, tell them it's you and not the city, and just hope they leave. I'm sure the line to get in won't get any shorter and for those of us who do enjoy it here despite the constant changes will be better off answering real queries and questions about the city.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times
Quote:
Something tells me the OP has ventured out from the city, but that's just a wild guess on my part.

Only reason I posted this is because these threads in here are tiring nonsense and whining about the city. None of these perceived problems are going to change or get better. In this case the mountains aren't going to get any closer, the traffic and cost of living are not going to get any better and the population is only going to grow. This Denver forum has become 50% threads that are just open therapy for malcontents in the area and then a bunch of local heroes trying to defend their fine city try to change their minds as if these threads are an affront to them and can't go unchallenged.

I say be meaner to the malcontents, tell them it's you and not the city, and just hope they leave. I'm sure the line to get in won't get any shorter and for those of us who do enjoy it here despite the constant changes will be better off answering real queries and questions about the city.
Why do you care? Shouldn't you be out in the mountain air doing whatever it is you do. Let malcontents be malcontent, they have a right to feel however they feel about it and to express it.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:05 AM

122 posts, read 129,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsiknergy View Post
Try moving to Evergreen. It's close enough to the city to commute, but you will live within easy, daily access to what the mountains have to offer. North Evergreen is very pricey for your (and my) salary range, but there are other housing options further into Evergreen that may fit your criteria. I'm an east coaster from NYC and Boston, and the traffic doesn't even come close, so make sure you're being very aware of your expectations/fantasy verse reality. I know it's hard, I'm there myself for a different reason. Denver is a very unattractive city for sure, but if you wanted an attractive city you would have gravitated toward something else, but you're here, and you know what this area REALLY has to offer. So let's make that happen instead.
Denver is a very attractive city to many. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I've lived in places that you probably would call attractive that I think are not.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:05 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Thinking that Denver is all about living in the Mountains

is like thinking that Los Angeles is all about living on the Beach.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Thinking that Denver is all about living in the Mountains

is like thinking that Los Angeles is all about living on the Beach.
Funny.. People think the same thing about Orlando. Fly into Orlando and then still have an hour drive to the nearest beach.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
Interesting that the OP says the cost of living is about the same in Denver as Chicago. So Denver metro has finally become a city for the more fortunate. YAY, Good for for the better paid professional. It makes sense to me in places like this to live as close to work as possible thereby improving your quality of life ( less time commuting , less wear and tear on your vehicle ).
My company has several locations near the light rail which is another option. It seems to me that Everywhere people want to live will have the same problems. Quality of life vs the Cost
Save up your PTO and take the weekdays to enjoy what Colorado has to offer. Make friends with people who already have land or a cabin in the mountains . Go camping in Wyoming if you want to compete with the crowds. If you hate traffic work around it . If you don't like crowds then don't go where there are crowds. if you cant afford to buy a house then rent. If you cant afford the rent then find roomates. If you don't like the weather wait a few months. Or move to St Louis ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver