Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
There are two places for source of water disclosures in Colorado contracts - The Seller's Property Disclosure (Section J Item #6) OR the Source of Water Disclosure.

You should have had the option to test the water before your Inspection Objection Deadline.

Call water testing companies in Evergreen. I have never heard that it would cost that much to shock a well.
If I'm interpreting your approach to this listing correctly, your position is that it's the buyer's responsibility to be pro-active about exercising their "option to test the water before your Inspection Objection Deadline".

IMO, this is placing the burden of health issues regarding a house on a well system upon the buyer.

As we both know, most buyers aren't so knowledgeable about all the potential problems with a residence and most of them wouldn't know to raise the issue.

That's why you, as a professional in the biz, are held to a higher standard of knowing or "should have known" about possible problems with a residential property.

And I, even as a reasonably knowledgeable buyer in the Colorado marketplace, would look to you to be pro-active in accurately representing what you had for sale. Even if the seller didn't behave ethically or honestly, or from pure ignorance ... you have that legal, ethical responsibility to perform professionally for your clients.

Colorado law sees it that way, too, and the avenues for a buyer to seek repairs, mitigation, or damages are readily accessible to someone who has been so clearly damaged in a transaction.

I agree that it shouldn't cost that much to "shock a well", but there may be other chemical contamination issues beyond fecal contamination/bacteria in this OP's thread. What would really help in this thread is if the OP posted the well water quality report. Personally, I've seen wells that were drilled "too close" per code to leech fields that tested badly and would always repeat the contamination problem over time ... and others similarly drilled that never had an issue. Much depends upon the sub-surface strata and Colorado is well known for being a difficult area to predict the below surface flows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:46 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I am stating where to find the correct information. Since OP referenced a blank Section 6 - maybe all the information was in a "Source of Water Addendum to the Contract to Buy Sell."

I wasn't involved in this transaction.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:24 PM

384 posts, read 376,086 times
Toxic Suburbia: Fantastic Rocky Flats vistas, plutonium breezes | The Colorado Independent

I cannot believe that the sellers did not disclose this ? And the kids have been drinking this water ? How do these people sleep at night ?

Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM

572 posts, read 551,901 times
I don't think the new development is on well water - even for livestock and irrigation uses...

Old 06-28-2019, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 370 times
Just seeing where this thread when to;
My family and I are in a similar position. The sellers didn't disclose the well wasn't potable or that there were unpermitted structures on the property. We purchased the house and learned shortly after that the water was bad; very bad. There is a part of me that thinks that the previous owners just didn't know how bad the water was, but they were not drinking the well water. They had bottles delivered to the house. That should have told us something, but we just thought that they preferred the taste. Additionally, during inspection, our relator suggested we use a specific water testing company but he only ordered a bacterial and flow test.

We're trying to figure out who should have caught the fact that the test wasn't adequate. The agents, the testing company, the seller, us..?
The sellers aren't being very open to talking and feel like we had every opportunity to resolve this issue before closing.

I'd love to here some good news about how this was resolved.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:56 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
[quote=BeesBeesBees;55540566]Just seeing where this thread when to;
My family and I are in a similar position. The sellers didn't disclose the well wasn't potable or that there were unpermitted structures on the property. We purchased the house and learned shortly after that the water was bad; very bad. There is a part of me that thinks that the previous owners just didn't know how bad the water was, but they were not drinking the well water. They had bottles delivered to the house. That should have told us something, but we just thought that they preferred the taste. Additionally, during inspection, our relator suggested we use a specific water testing company but he only ordered a bacterial and flow test.

We're trying to figure out who should have caught the fact that the test wasn't adequate. The agents, the testing company, the seller, us..?
The sellers aren't being very open to talking and feel like we had every opportunity to resolve this issue before closing.

I'd love to here some good news about how this was resolved.[/QUOTE

So I assume you have no public water source nearby? or if it is nearby, it will cost thousands to connect to it? Wow, I feel for ya.

So the bacteria levels from the tests were off the chart high? I would also have nitrate/nitrite tested, TDS level, radioactive levels, and all of the inorganic contaminants listed under the Safe Drinking Water Act (not crazy expensive tests.) I'd test for arsenic too.

As for the bacteria/ fecal coliform levels, I'd contact a reputable well contractor to sanitize your well (they usually pour bleach in the well and circulate it to disinfect all the piping, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: