Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcuraMan View Post
Does anyone know what the job market is like in Colorado? Are places hiring like crazy? I have a degree and experience working in sales for various companies but would be open to that or new fields. I would be open to any job as long as it pays rent and basic necessities. I have some savings so I was thinking of just winging it. I'm from the east coast. I have a place to stay temporarily but I would need to find something relatively quick. I'm not a pot head so I present myself well and wouldn't fail a drug test unlike most people that show up in Denver lol.
Quote:
In terms of finding a job the quickest way possible what would you recommend doing? Are there any agencies or head hunters that are great with finding people jobs? I'd prefer not to use a temp agency since you never know how long they're gonna keep you and the landlords don't give a **** whether you lose your job or not. I plan to work full time somewhere and get a part time job at a pot dispensary or something to support myself. I know I can find a job but it's the pay I'm worried about because I have to make enough to support myself and have bills.
Hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 AM

186 posts, read 125,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Hmmmm.
I said I'm not a pot head and initially would pass a drug test. That doesn't mean I wouldn't smoke here and there recreationally lol.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
In terms of finding a job the quickest way possible what would you recommend doing? Are there any agencies or head hunters that are great with finding people jobs? I'd prefer not to use a temp agency since you never know how long they're gonna keep you and the landlords don't give a **** whether you lose your job or not. I plan to work full time somewhere and get a part time job at a pot dispensary or something to support myself. I know I can find a job but it's the pay I'm worried about because I have to make enough to support myself and have bills.
I don't know. I haven't looked for a job in many years. The last one I had (and retired from) I got by word of mouth. But you should know how to find jobs in your field.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't know. I haven't looked for a job in many years. The last one I had (and retired from) I got by word of mouth. But you should know how to find jobs in your field.
I guess I'll be in the library then from 7am till closing time looking for jobs on Indeed and LinkedIn lol. And seeing what job fairs are available out there. I've heard Colorado is good with helping people in need. Not that I would want to put myself in that category but they did help homeless people find jobs. I guess in a since I'll be initially homeless when I first arrive.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1032069/d...ss-people.html

Old 08-13-2017, 12:02 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times
Quote:
I moved here a little over 3 years ago and moved without having a job lined up. I did come up for several days a few months beforehand and met with recruiters and kept in contact with them between then and actually moving. My background is in accounting, so there are plenty of accounting/finance related recruiting agencies. Had a few phone interviews in the meantime, but unless your job is really specialized, getting a job while living out of state is very difficult. I did land a long-term contract job within 3 weeks of being here and got an apartment that same week. Look on Indeed for sure. I always had recruiters contacting me after posting my resume there. Moving without a job is doable, just be sure you have a plan laid out to make the move successful.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
I moved here a little over 3 years ago and moved without having a job lined up. I did come up for several days a few months beforehand and met with recruiters and kept in contact with them between then and actually moving. My background is in accounting, so there are plenty of accounting/finance related recruiting agencies. Had a few phone interviews in the meantime, but unless your job is really specialized, getting a job while living out of state is very difficult. I did land a long-term contract job within 3 weeks of being here and got an apartment that same week. Look on Indeed for sure. I always had recruiters contacting me after posting my resume there. Moving without a job is doable, just be sure you have a plan laid out to make the move successful.
That sounds about right. I need to be there to job search. I'm going to change everything on my resume to reflect a Colorado address. Only thing that sucks is I'll be dirt poor when I first arrive because I don't want to blow away all my savings. I'll probably stop by a food pantry or something in the beginning to conserve money.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times
Quote:
That sounds about right. I need to be there to job search. I'm going to change everything on my resume to reflect a Colorado address. Only thing that sucks is I'll be dirt poor when I first arrive because I don't want to blow away all my savings. I'll probably stop by a food pantry or something in the beginning to conserve money.
Where do you intend on staying when you move? I didn't have a ton of savings to live off of either. I stayed in a Days Inn for 3 weeks. You do get a free breakfast, plus usually a microwave and small refrigerator, so you can buy a few groceries to live off of.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
Where do you intend on staying when you move? I didn't have a ton of savings to live off of either. I stayed in a Days Inn for 3 weeks. You do get a free breakfast, plus usually a microwave and small refrigerator, so you can buy a few groceries to live off of.
I'll be in Denver Metro. I was thinking about that but that's way too expensive. It's like 60-70 dollars a night to stay at a motel and that's risky spending that without a job. Plus if I stayed at a motel I might be a lot less productive in finding a job and spending 18 hours a day to do so.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:26 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
So where do you intend on staying? You mentioned that you will get your food from a food pantry, and that you will spend a lot of time in the library using their internet, but do you expect to sleep somewhere? In your car? BTW, you won't find a hotel in the Denver area for $60-70 a night. A bed in a hostel, maybe.

Where will you get a Colorado address?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So where do you intend on staying? You mentioned that you will get your food from a food pantry, and that you will spend a lot of time in the library using their internet, but do you expect to sleep somewhere? In your car? BTW, you won't find a hotel in the Denver area for $60-70 a night. A bed in a hostel, maybe.

Where will you get a Colorado address?
I will be staying with a friend of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: