U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:57 PM

12 posts, read 15,585 times

Advertisements

Hello- my wife and I moved to Denver almost 3 years ago. While we love it, we are looking to buy a house. We love the mountains but are both raised city people. That being said, we have a kid now and living in the city doesn't really appeal to us as much and it's so beautiful west of Denver, we're considering moving that way. When I look at houses I can buy within a 2 mile radius of sloans lake and what I could buy towards evergreen the choice is obvious. I could live on a mountain w beautiful views versus a house that is semi old but fixed up a bit with barely a backyard. Yes, we'd live close to great restaurants and bars and parks but I guess that's not on my priority list right now. I'm curious if any one else out there has been in similar situation and made the move to semi-isolation? What are the cons? Currently I work in golden which would work perfectly but I don't plan on working there forever. I could handle a 30 min commute but don't think I could do a DTC type thing from that area. any other opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 22 days ago)

15,626 posts, read 23,501,312 times
Evergreen is in 2 counties with 2 different school systems.
The orientation of your house and yard will be very important.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:13 PM

ok let's redefine my reference to evergreen to mean west of downtown golden but east of Idaho springs. I don't have an exact location as we are just exploring options.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM

403 posts, read 361,429 times
I have lived in both and there are up sides and downsides with a family.

We lived out in the cornfields of Illinois for a while and the closest city was about a 40-minute drive. There was not a whole lot to do. While the peace and quiet in the backyard were nice sometimes and when my son was younger he enjoyed roaming around the big yard, I went nuts. I was used to having things close. If I wanted to do something fun with my kids or even just go shopping I had to drive for quite a bit, it got annoying after a while. I imagine it would have got even more annoying as my kiddo got older and was involved in sports etc.

We now live in Thornton so we have pretty much everything we need close by. My son is into climbing and the gym he learns at is 10 minutes away. He also has good friends in the neighborhood. Consider that if your property is larger and further apart from your neighbors that it may be harder to interact with your neighbors which would probably be harder on the kids as they grow up then it would be on you.

I think it really depends on personalities! If you think you can handle being a little more remote and it would enhance your lifestyle and peace of mind, go for it. If you think you and the kids may get bored easily or it will make life, less fun then maybe go for an area that has a little more space but it also not as remote.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:00 PM

654 posts, read 1,730,823 times
As I live in the mtns, and currently have an infant a couple of important things to remember are; make sure your house is south facing or your winters will be cold. And, for your child, you want some flat land. It is tough to learn to ride a bike on a steep slope. Also, you don't want the child tumbling off of a cliff. Don't forget wildlife. We share our space with bears, mtn lions, bobcats, foxes, skunks etc. 4WD will be necessary. The night sky is incredible, so get a good telescope and some game cams for the wildlife.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,389,580 times
Douglas mtn drive , west of Golden off of hwy 6 , the homes are in the mountains and only around 800K to 1.5 million !

Old 08-21-2017, 02:35 PM

1,168 posts, read 801,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetmovin View Post
ok let's redefine my reference to evergreen to mean west of downtown golden but east of Idaho springs. I don't have an exact location as we are just exploring options.
What you're describing is basically the Genesse area. The bulk of Evergreen are the neighborhoods along the 74 corridor, from I70 to Brook Forest Road. Any further south and you'll start drifting towards Conifer. The town doesn't feel that isolated to me, because we always run into people we know, and if you work in Golden, then north E.G., would be an easy commute.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:08 PM

824 posts, read 532,205 times
I really liked Genesse when my grandma lived there as a kid. There's a community pool & a few open spaces in between houses that we could snow shoe/ski/sled down during big storms.

It did feel isolated to me, but it's not that far.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Maybe it takes actually moving out there to really see if we'll like it.
@wilberry - yes there are some insanely nice and expensive houses in these areas. But there are also some nice ones (low supply) in the 450-550k range and still 2-3,000 square feet. It seems that there are only a handful on the market at any one time unfortunately.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:04 PM

40 posts, read 80,211 times
Default Evergreen living

Hi! I live in Evergreen and love it. When we moved here form out of state, we originally moved to Parker where everything was at our fingertips but yearned for more space and the life style of living in the foothills. It was the best decision hands down that we made. When we originally moved up here, our kids were 4,6 and 8. Even with young kids and now teenagers, we have all the day to day conveniences we need

Schools here are fantastic and there is a real community feel that was lacking in the large suburbs "down the hill". There are recreational and club level sport avenue for the kids as well as music instruction, art etc all available locally.

My husband does go down the hill for work but the drive is so worth it for the lifestyle. You hear a lot of negative about the snow and commute, but it's typically from the posters who never lived in Evergreen. The snow removal up here i actually 200% better than in Denver, the county knows how to handle it. In the 7 years we have lived here, we have not been stranded or snowed in.

Good luck with your decision, if you have any questions, feel free to direct message me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver