Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:23 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH9742 View Post
Hello all,

I just received a job offer in Westminster, and I'll be moving there in the next few weeks. I need help on finding the right place to live. I plan on staying at my brother's place as I look for a home to purchase.

About me: Professional, 32, married with no kids, two-earner household. Ideally I want a short commute, and by bike if possible although that's not a deal-breaker. I'm also not terribly familiar with the metro in Denver, so that could open up some options. My husband will likely be teaching at UC Denver.

I'm looking for:
-A single-family home, ideally under 300k.
-Walkability and a cool neighborhood vibe. (I'm using walkscore.com)
-Downtown accessibility.
-Outdoor access: nearby parks/trails would be awesome.
-A neighborhood where we're not the only couple without kids...

I'm currently looking at:
Wheat Ridge/Edgewater.
Westminster/Federal Heights.
Arvada.
Highland.
Wash Park/Platte Park/Cap Hill/Downtown (I might consider a town-home since the cost is so high).
I'm avoiding areas that look rather rough like Thornton, Commerce City, and Colfax Ave.

Thanks everyone!
I think the only area that qualifies in your budget is Westminster/Federal Heights. For Arvada and Wheat Ridge, you would need to up your budget to $350. Highland, Platt Park and Wash Park are not even close to that budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:43 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
I think the only area that qualifies in your budget is Westminster/Federal Heights. For Arvada and Wheat Ridge, you would need to up your budget to $350. Highland, Platt Park and Wash Park are not even close to that budget.
And anything in/close to budget isn't going to have "Walkability and a cool neighborhood vibe."

Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH9742 View Post
I'm looking for:
-A single-family home, ideally under 300k.
-Walkability and a cool neighborhood vibe. (I'm using walkscore.com)
-Downtown accessibility.
-Outdoor access: nearby parks/trails would be awesome.
-A neighborhood where we're not the only couple without kids...
I think your best bet is to buy along the North Metro Line which will be opening in the next few years and wait for them to build in the walkability and cool neighborhood vibe. You would need to research with the different cities what their plans are around the various stations.

North Metro Rail - N Line

The rail will provide the downtown access. Most areas have parks and trails.

Something like this will have excellent appreciation potential once the rail is active.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...26_rect/14_zm/

The further north you go the newer the homes and the more desirable the area. If you can up your budget then this is a good option.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...24_rect/14_zm/

A little closer to your work.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...64_rect/14_zm/

Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
this is what 300 k will look like in Golden , CO which is about 25 miles southwest to the center of Westminster

920 Mc Intyre St, Golden, CO 80401 - realtor.com®

18364 W 58th Pl Apt 95, Golden, CO 80403 - realtor.com®

970 Terry St, Golden, CO 80401 - realtor.com®

Old 08-29-2017, 04:38 PM

371 posts, read 493,850 times
I think your best bet, with your budget is literally the areas within a 5-10 minute drive to Westminster city hall.

There are a FEW (these are established, family neighborhoods where nobody moves) homes that pop up from time to time in Shaw Heights/Hyland Hills (Adams County) or Trendwood/Franklin Square (Jeffco) that will meet your price requirements and put you within 20 minutes or so from both downtown and Boulder. It will be a suburban vibe, though. A mixed use downtown area is slowly being built on the Jeffco side.

Thornton is mostly fine and could be worth considering. In general, stay North of Thornton Pkwy and East of Washington if you have sketchiness concerns. There are things in your range, but it's even more suburban than the area around Westminster City Hall.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:34 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Ditto what BlackMet said.

Zillow shows 5 or 6 listings now in the Shaw Hts area around 300K.

Also the 92nd & Sheridan area (just west of City Hall) has quite a few shops and stores.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 5,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Your desired budget and your wish list do not align. Figure out which one you plan to adjust.
If I wait a little while, I should be able to include my husband’s US income as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Up your budget to $500+K and you will find something.
Not in my great neighborhood though.
I could up my budget to this if I could get a mortgage that would qualify foreign income, but it seems unlikely to find a bank that would do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Thornton is not rather rough, even the trailer courts. It's all pretty comparable in terms of, "roughness," for the areas you've posted.
And I don't think anyone can give you realistic suggestions for a SFH until you up your budget. Under $300k and maybe you'll be able to find something that will most likely not be what you expected or where you want.
I think once you're here at your brothers place it'll be easier for you to get a feel for the areas and streamline your list and bit.
I have seen a number of houses that seem to fit my area and budget, BUT you may be right that it is not what it seems. I also agree that it will be easier once I move there.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
US income?

Old 09-03-2017, 07:07 PM

401 posts, read 486,914 times
It is hard when looking on sites like Zillow, Trulia, Homes.com this is because most of these homes are already gone even though they still state they are for sale and most of them in this price range will go for over asking, so gauging what these homes are really worth can be tough.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:34 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
I like Rent.com and Rentals.com for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver