Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:18 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times

Advertisements

Sears announced it will start selling its appliances on Amazon. I wonder if USPS can deliver a refrigerator ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:38 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Sears announced it will start selling its appliances on Amazon. I wonder if USPS can deliver a refrigerator ...
I had FedEx deliver 3 toilets that I ordered from Amazon. It was one person, a fairly small woman as a matter of fact, and she got all three of those very large and heavy boxes into my garage, no problem.

But I personally wouldn't buy an appliance that way, as I prefer to have them get delivered with installation and haulaway for whatever they are replacing.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:16 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
My dumbazz mailman would try to stuff it in the mailbox.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Won't be Denver.

KC or east, likely MO, KT, TN, NC

a sales tax Free state with a HIGH urban population would be a good idea... and DE gets a lot of 'headqtrs'

Income tax free Austin or SAT (cheaper labor / land rates + commercial "FREIGHT ONLY" airport)

DENVER, no...

Old 09-08-2017, 03:21 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Sales tax free doesn't matter. Amazon now collects sales tax for many states, including CO.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:24 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Sales tax is irrelevant to the discussion, this is a company headquarters, not merchandise distribution center. And so is cheap labor (they've already said that a lot these will be high paid professional jobs) and a freight only airport.

Income tax would be a factor, along with property tax and housing prices because that all goes to hiring and retaining good employees.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:05 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
I think Denver metro being a blue area and our good weather with loads of sunshine will win the day. I'm guessing Amazon already has a short list of two or three metro areas they would like. The RFP is just a means to get those couple to come up with some competitive incentives. Remember the decision makers have got to want to live there also. I think Denver has a strong chance.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:21 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I think Denver metro being a blue area and our good weather with loads of sunshine will win the day. I'm guessing Amazon already has a short list of two or three metro areas they would like. The RFP is just a means to get those couple to come up with some competitive incentives. Remember the decision makers have got to want to live there also. I think Denver has a strong chance.

Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, or Austin/Dallas would be my top guesses. Maybe also an east coast city. If they don't care about staying on west coast then throw in LA and SF.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:38 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,279,994 times
If they stayed in the suburbs, perhaps around DIA, it might work. But Amazon has virtually destroyed their part of Seattle by plunging dozens of 35-story buildings into a street grid meant to handle traffic for perhaps six-story buildings. It's NYC times 10 in their corner of Seattle.

Make no mistake - Bezos is NOT customer-friendly. He's very much customer self-service. If he can find a way to 100% automate his warehouses with robots, drones, and driverless cars, he'll do it. The only person he truly cares about is himself. If he had his ultimate vision, he'd be alone at Amazon, watching the company through dozens of monitors in his office.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
The Washington Post has an interesting article discussing the choice of the new Amazon HQ:
(In their analysis, Denver is on the list of possibilities)

This map shows 39 places that could win Amazon’s new-headquarters contest

Quote:
. . .a close look at Amazon’s request for proposals shows that the company is looking for very particular things. For example, the document expresses a preference for metro areas with more than 1 million residents, and emphasizes the need for a highly educated talent pool. In addition, Amazon said, the ideal site would be easy to fly into, and would have enough space — as much as 8 million square feet — for years of growth. Put all those criteria together, and the list of the most ideal regions begins to narrow quickly. . .
Their final list includes:
Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Mexico City,Atlanta,Austin,Baltimore,Birmingham,Boston, Charlotte,Chicago,Cincinnati,Cleveland,Dallas,
Denver,Detroit,Miami,Houston,Indianapolis,Kansas City,Las Vegas,LosAngeles,Minneapolis/St. Paul,Nashville,New Orleans,
New York City/Newark,Orlando,Philadelphia,Phoenix,Portland,Ralei gh/Durham,Sacramento,
Salt Lake City,San Antonio,San Diego,San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland,St. Louis,Tampa,Washington, D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver