Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,420 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the positive feedback.
That definitely puts me at ease.
As far as schools go, what are the websites you
use to compare ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 PM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
I don't know that I would call an average of 50+ inches of snow per year "not much".
several factors here
-how fast we forget but last winter it hardly snowed
-depends where you live in colorado but in denver last year we only got 15"
-climate has been warmer and dryer than average last few years

reference:
weather.gov/bou/Coop-Sno1617

Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 PM

824 posts, read 705,490 times
for school ratings:
google(colorado school ratings)

Old 10-09-2017, 02:46 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Sort of funny that when a person is moving to Denver for a nice paying job, the winter weather doesn’t concern them much. However, it will when a snowstorms and/or blizzard hits and the temps fall below 32 or even below zero (of which definitely can happen).

We experienced “all of the above” when we lived there in both Parker and Englewood (south). Both of our vehicles were 4-wheel drive as well. Some locals will say that 4-wheel drive isn’t necessary, but it sure saved our butts when we lived there!

If all the OP knows is Florida, Denver winters can be, or definitely will be a shock. Not as bad as some other “snowbelt” areas in the U.S., but Denver Metro can get it’s share of cold/freezing weather and snow.

Now that that is said, we, as an early 70’s retired couple (when we relocate back to the Front Range/Eastern Slope, loved it there. And, we will be leaving Florida as well (northeastern Florida, that is).

Want to wish this family lots of “good wishes” in moving there. And, btw, Christmas time in Denver and metro is BEAUTIFUL!!

Old 10-09-2017, 03:42 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Sort of funny that when a person is moving to Denver for a nice paying job, the winter weather doesn’t concern them much. However, it will when a snowstorms and/or blizzard hits and the temps fall below 32 or even below zero (of which definitely can happen).

We experienced “all of the above” when we lived there in both Parker and Englewood (south). Both of our vehicles were 4-wheel drive as well. Some locals will say that 4-wheel drive isn’t necessary, but it sure saved our butts when we lived there!

If all the OP knows is Florida, Denver winters can be, or definitely will be a shock. Not as bad as some other “snowbelt” areas in the U.S., but Denver Metro can get it’s share of cold/freezing weather and snow.

Now that that is said, we, as an early 70’s retired couple (when we relocate back to the Front Range/Eastern Slope, loved it there. And, we will be leaving Florida as well (northeastern Florida, that is).

Want to wish this family lots of “good wishes” in moving there. And, btw, Christmas time in Denver and metro is BEAUTIFUL!!
Tires are more important than drivetrain. Buy snow tires.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:18 PM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
4 wheel drive is false security and leads to many avoidable accidents. 4 wheel DRIVE is not 4 wheel STOP, and stopping is what matters in the snow. Get a good set of snow tires and allow yourself 2-3X the stopping distance. A lot of sliding is also avoidable by simply not accelerating through a turn (a small luxury you gain with 4 wheel drive).

I see too many people buying 4 wheel drive Subaru's driving the speed limit (or higher) in slick conditions. Sure you might be able to accelerate and maintain speed with decent control, but it won't save you when you come around a blind turn and find the cars in front of you at a dead stop. These are typically the people causing the 2 hour back ups on I70 during ski season.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:56 AM

401 posts, read 487,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabhi2017 View Post
Thank you all for the positive feedback.
That definitely puts me at ease.
As far as schools go, what are the websites you
use to compare ratings.
There are several sites out there but all rate a little differently.

School Digger
Great Schools
Colorado School Gradeshttps
//www.cde.state.co.us/schoolviewcde.state.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a school. Honestly, I think touring a school and getting a feel for what is actually going on in the classrooms is the best way to choose a school that will fit your kiddos. If we had only looked at test scores I wouldn't have enrolled my son in his school but it has been the best school for him with some of the most dedicated teachers I have ever met.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
There are several sites out there but all rate a little differently.

School Digger
Great Schools
Colorado School Gradeshttps
//www.cde.state.co.us/schoolviewcde.state.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a school. Honestly, I think touring a school and getting a feel for what is actually going on in the classrooms is the best way to choose a school that will fit your kiddos. If we had only looked at test scores I wouldn't have enrolled my son in his school but it has been the best school for him with some of the most dedicated teachers I have ever met.
I agree with this. Most of the ratings are based on test scores, which are really a very imperfect measure of school quality. Plus there are so many other factors that help determine if a particular school is a good match for a particular child.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:52 PM

14 posts, read 12,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
I don't know that I would call an average of 50+ inches of snow per year "not much".
Depends on where you're from! I live in a city where we get about 123 inches a season and I went to college in a town that got about 140 a season .... So 60 inches sounds like a piece of cake to me lol

Old 10-10-2017, 03:05 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3la View Post
Depends on where you're from! I live in a city where we get about 123 inches a season and I went to college in a town that got about 140 a season .... So 60 inches sounds like a piece of cake to me lol
Well, in Florida, where the OP is, they get zero!

When we lived in Parker and the Holiday Blizzard in December 2006 hit, we got darn near 50”. And, even though we are both from “snowbelts” (Indiana and Michigan), we had never seen outside Halloween decor covered in snow or seen snow on Mother’s Day Weekend. Experienced both there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver