Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 AM

23 posts, read 52,208 times

Advertisements

Our family lives in NW Denver, but is planning to move in the next year or two and have a few criteria:
1. At least a somewhat walkable area. I would like to walk to a coffee shop, playground, neighborhood breakfast joint, bar etc. We live in Sunnyside now and can walk to a decent amount of stuff.
2. Strong public schools, especially elementary, but higher grades would be ideal. We have a toddler now.
3. 3 bed/2 bath home around $600k or less. We prefer smaller yards and are fine with attached units. Would like it to be a neighborhood with other kids.

I am only really familiar with the city of Denver, and we’re looking in Stapleton and the neighborhoods that are zoned for Bromwell, Steck, Slavens, University Park, Steele, Cory, and Carson —obviously our price point is an issue for some of those!

Are there areas in the Littleton, Boulder Valley, or other school districts we should consider? We work from home so exact location is not an issue.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 AM

1,330 posts, read 698,392 times
What does walkable mean to you? Some might find their limit at a quarter mile (within 5 minutes), others are OK walking 15 minutes or more.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
Golden? Bradburn? Arvada? go explore - decide on which schools would fit your needs and focus on the real estate there.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish76 View Post
Boulder Valley....
Great schools and walkability under $600k...

Attached:
Bear Creek Elementary
Mesa Elementary

Attached and maybe a detached:
Louisville Elementary

Maybe not the best schools but pretty good and close to Downtown Longmont:
Central Elementary

Great neighborhood with sidewalks and the mall nearby:
Eldorado k-8

I hope that helps!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,044,720 times
Bradburn in Westminster fits all of your criteria.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...RoCIbAQAvD_BwE

Breakfast place.
https://www.earlybirdrestaurant.com/

Top rated schools.
GREATSCHOOLS RATING GRADES DISTANCE

10 out of 10 Cotton Creek Elementary K-5 0.7 mi
9 out of 10 Westlake Middle 6-8 2.4 mi
8 out of 10 Legacy High 9-12 2.6 mi

Small yards. Kids galore.

Walk to Whole Foods, Walmart, Sprouts, lots and lots of other places and restaurants, public library, trails etc.

You will have to jump on your price point as the ones less than $600K do come up but go fast.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM

824 posts, read 704,269 times
suburban locations you will have to drive to get around
maybe Old Town Littleton?

Old 10-11-2017, 03:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,726,419 times
Old Littleton will have all of the walkability you desire but the schools zoned for some of those more walkable areas surrounding their downtown tend to be the feed into the less desirable schools in the district. The higher rated schools like Franklin, Runyon, etc. tend to be zoned for nice areas with lots of kids, parks, trails, etc. but not walkable to things like coffee shops and bars.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,184,558 times
Stapleton would certainly be a great option - right in your budget, and esp. if you went with a paired home (half of a side by side duplex), you'd be comfortably under budget. Tons and tons of kids and lots of green space including many pocket parks and courtyards where kids play together.

Schools are generally very good, and just about everyone I know has been happy with their kid's school - although you also have the option to switch around if you aren't. I'd say that is actually both a positive and a negative - Stapleton is in an enrollment zone rather than a boundary so you don't just automatically go to the school closest to your house. You have to go through the choice process. You are guaranteed a seat in one of the enrollment zone schools, but not necessarily your first choice. But as I said, the schools are all good and people are generally happy.

Walkability is kind of a question mark, because Stapleton is large enough that the exact location of your house will determine whether you've got walkable access to things. Parks/greenspace, yes, just about every house will have that nearby. Pools - there are many throughout the community but not every house is within walking distance. Same thing with retail - there is more being built all the time so more houses have access, but you have to look at a case by case basis. And in some cases, just be patient. I had nothing walkable when I moved here, now we have a town center area with multiple restaurants, a supermarket and some other shops and services about a mile from my house. Eventually, there will be more commercial development even closer than that but it could be years before that happens.

Personally I give Stapleton the edge over suburban locations because of the convenience to the rest of what Denver has to offer. We are 15 minutes from the zoo and science museum (ok, on weekends, a little longer with weekday traffic) and I love being able to stop by the museum for an hour to go through one exhibit and not worry about not getting to see anything else because we can always stop back again. Baseball and football games, other museums, historical places, live theater and music - it's all so readily accessible. And of course the fact that it's a 15 minute commute to work for me, which I realize doesn't matter if you work from home, but if you did want to change jobs at some point, you are likely to have more options

Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 PM

23 posts, read 52,208 times
Thanks to everyone for these replies and especially the details on Stapleton. It seems great on paper and I thought it was a good fit when I drove/walked around, but it’s good to hear from someone that lives there. I’ve been touring the elementary schools within the enrollment zone and I’ve been pretty comfortable with what I’ve seen so far. Really appreciate all the input!!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:19 PM

618 posts, read 1,365,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish76 View Post
Our family lives in NW Denver, but is planning to move in the next year or two and have a few criteria:
1. At least a somewhat walkable area. I would like to walk to a coffee shop, playground, neighborhood breakfast joint, bar etc. We live in Sunnyside now and can walk to a decent amount of stuff.
2. Strong public schools, especially elementary, but higher grades would be ideal. We have a toddler now.
3. 3 bed/2 bath home around $600k or less. We prefer smaller yards and are fine with attached units. Would like it to be a neighborhood with other kids.

I am only really familiar with the city of Denver, and we’re looking in Stapleton and the neighborhoods that are zoned for Bromwell, Steck, Slavens, University Park, Steele, Cory, and Carson —obviously our price point is an issue for some of those!

Are there areas in the Littleton, Boulder Valley, or other school districts we should consider? We work from home so exact location is not an issue.

Many thanks!
Park Hill within the Park Hill Elementary boundary. Great schools all the way through high school and still in the city, with mature trees and plenty walkable. Still some good houses available under $600K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver