Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 17,730 times

Advertisements

Hey All:
Have been seriously thinking of taking the plunge and moving to the Denver area, I have been leaning towards this decision for sometime now, there is some family in Aurora and when I visit them I love every minute of of being out there, I have been unsuccessful in my search for gainful employment and if I must say, that reason has been my major hold up in making the move already. With that said, I recently came across this blog and have been somewhat taken back by all the negative comments towards the Denver area, I do realize it is all relative to the person and situations, but some of the writings have down right scared me. I am a college educated male, athletic and lover of the outdoors, I currently live in a NJ suburb and commute into NYC, talk about stress,noise pollution, along with rude and unruly people, lets just say it does not make for a fun day, not too mention the cost of living air quality etc...This area and Manhattan does have much to offer and would miss some of it, but after 17 years I am ready for a much needed life change. Regardless of what I read on here, I am confident I will be making the move shortly, even with the economy going the way it is, I should be able to find employment eventually- hopefully .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,331 times
Manhattan to Aurora?

Wow.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:43 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
There is no place in the world like NYC, good and bad aspects! I love visiting there but would grow older much faster at that fast pace, plus I would be broke quicker. Denver is an old city with much history, suburbs not so much, so you will find art and culture here but not the varying food types and the people are much more laid back. We are far from being a fashion capitol, but we are more nature oriented. If you love the outdoors and sports, you will fit right in. What is your degree in? I highly recommend doing a "search" on various topics in the sticky thread that Mike our moderator compiled. Many photos and comments, good and bad. Also, compare the Denver thread to other cities, you will find Denver has less fighting and negativity. That alone will tell you much. Denver is not for everyone but so far from what you have said about yourself, you will find much to see and do here.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 PM

380 posts, read 1,228,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerinNJ View Post
Hey All:
Have been seriously thinking of taking the plunge and moving to the Denver area, I have been leaning towards this decision for sometime now, there is some family in Aurora and when I visit them I love every minute of of being out there, I have been unsuccessful in my search for gainful employment and if I must say, that reason has been my major hold up in making the move already. With that said, I recently came across this blog and have been somewhat taken back by all the negative comments towards the Denver area, I do realize it is all relative to the person and situations, but some of the writings have down right scared me. I am a college educated male, athletic and lover of the outdoors, I currently live in a NJ suburb and commute into NYC, talk about stress,noise pollution, along with rude and unruly people, lets just say it does not make for a fun day, not too mention the cost of living air quality etc...This area and Manhattan does have much to offer and would miss some of it, but after 17 years I am ready for a much needed life change. Regardless of what I read on here, I am confident I will be making the move shortly, even with the economy going the way it is, I should be able to find employment eventually- hopefully .
I hope "Give Me 10 Reasons NOT to Move to Denver" isn't the blog that has frightened you! I started that blog to get a complete picture of the area. There are many very positive blogs about Denver. I wanted to get a feel for the flip side of the coin. You know what, thanks to the posts on my blog I am more convinced then ever that Denver is the Perfect place!! It looks like people have many complaints because of all the hits however there are many repetes and MOST of the complaints are about the weather. I find this encouraging. It is my experiance people talk about the weather when they can't find anything else to talk about!! Most important, look at what hasn't been said; crime...no complaints, jobs...only meantion was they are competitive, cost of living...no complaints, housing...just a couple complaints about prices, city politics...few complaints, city features...no complaints. These are the magor areas I have been concerned about. Where are all the complaints? Mostly altitude, dryness, traffic, isolation, and weather. I think Denver sounds very special. I am on my way in a few days to see for myself. If I love it as much as I think I will I'll be moving in a couple weeks!!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,235 times
The negatives in "give me 10 reasons not to move to Denver" are mild compared to other cities! Problems like snow and bad food are all relative...

Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 AM

676 posts, read 2,796,118 times
Yeah and some of the people in that thread have exaggerated and generalized many of the negatives of Denver. Mostly about the weather. We get an occasional snow storm (bit like the nor' easters of NY) and people flip, thinking this is what happens all the time. So far this year I don't think there has been one severe storm in Denver which resulted in any chaos or shutting the airport down. Even the midwest has had worse storms this year

Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
So far this year I don't think there has been one severe storm in Denver which resulted in any chaos or shutting the airport down. Even the midwest has had worse storms this year
Well, there was the 2006 Holiday Blizzard and its follow ons. Big monster storms happen a few times a decade, but they sure generate a lot of press.

As Coloradans we market our winter snow as a tourist attraction, so it's no wonder that the rest of the country sees us as buried in snow all year.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 PM

28 posts, read 155,365 times
hi,

Are you looking to Rent in Aurora or buy a house?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,848 times
If you have family in the Denver area that may be willing to help get you on your feet. I say take the plunge. Denver has got a lot to offer. Its a more relaxed city and i don't think you will have a hard time adjusting. However, how will you ever know if you don't try? I believe good changes will come for you if you allow it.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 PM

39 posts, read 72,016 times
New York is so much fun to visit but I find it exhausting after about 10 days. If you love the outdoors then Colorado may be a good move but it is a scary thing to do without a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: