Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:27 AM

26 posts, read 27,449 times

Advertisements

I'm 24, single, no children, no real obligations. Born and raised in SC. I graduated in May and the first job I took after college laid me off in September and my entire department got eliminated. I've been looking for work all over the country but nothing has panned out. I have money in savings from the short time I worked and am receiving a severance pay. My lease ends Feb 2nd and after I pay my way up to that point, I'm thinking about packing everything up into a Uhaul and heading west. I've had family live out there and they have been connecting me with people and giving me advice and one friend I went to HS with just took a job west of Denver in Wheat Ridge. I will be going with a cat and a senior chihuahua.

I'm currently working a seasonal retail job at a department store. It isn't found out west but is comparable to Dillard's which is. I see a lot of jobs that I have experience in and can utilize my degree in, and I think I could have a fighting chance finding one once I can get there and be a "local." In the meantime I thought I could try to get on with Dillard's/a hotel/restaurant until something better comes along.

I'm absolutely terrified and have been met with minimal support from friends and family. I feel incredibly stuck in my city and life right now, and I feel as though if I don't leave now while i have this small amount of money, I may never get out. I've wanted to leave for a long time and feel like I've overstayed my time here, but I haven't had a financial opportunity like this to GET OUT. Family is urging me to stay here for 6-12 more months and save more before moving, but the cost of living here is so high that without a decent, "real" job, it's impossible to save. Over 50% of income at a non-career job goes to rent in this city. I even considered moving way up to Summerville/Ladson which is 20 miles from the downtown area and most one bedroom apartments start at $1300. I don't mind having a roommate and could make it work if there were opportunity, but I just feel like there's no opportunity that aligns well with my career goals and that the southeast in general feels like a dead end.

I want to set a goal of going out that way and if I don't have a job within 3 months, to turn around and come back to stay with family. But I feel like if I don't "try" I'm going to become so complacent and even more depressed and lost here in Charleston.

Is there any advice you can give me as far as great cities and places to live or just about my crazy idea in general? Denver seems to have the best job opportunities in healthcare/quality improvement/health informatics that I could get a job in, though it is a bit pricey. I've also heard that Boulder is more pricey, though.
(I was also considering Wyoming and Nebraska, but I think I would like Colorado more. Feel free to change my mind and offer me any perspective on other states)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
"
Is there any advice you can give me as far as great cities and places to live or just about my crazy idea in general? "

there are plenty of threads on here to aid in your research .City data is great for getting information .There are plenty of web sites with Cost of living calculators in comparing city to city. Glassdoor dot com has a lot of good info on salaries, jobs, company reviews by employees . Indeed com has current job postings too. In general I would say to move to the Colorado front front range without a job or free place/ friend / relative to stay with one should have about $ 20,000 in savings.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Now is the time for young unencumbered persons to move around the country and find their place. Go for it.

Can your friend in Wheat Ridge give you a place to stay for a while as you search for jobs and a place?

Boulder is crazy pricey, big college town.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
1. The jobs are in greater Denver and not Wyoming nor Nebraska.
2. There is lots of traffic here. The Charleston MSA is 700K wile the Denver MSA is 2800K.
3. COL for housing is high here. Higher than greater Charleston.
4. Remember what phrase Horace Greeley is famous for.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:25 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
Go For It! You have nothing to lose.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:13 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
I love the attitudes of the responders so far and will add my encouragement as well. Go for it and come west!

Old 11-19-2017, 07:16 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Skip Wyoming and Nebraska. Also consider Boise and Salt Lake.

This is the time in your life to take risks.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:18 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Do it! Sounds like it can’t be much worse and you can always go back home later. Save as much as you can ahead of time. Pinch pennies everywhere you can.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:11 AM

244 posts, read 414,784 times
I moved here at 22 with no job, no friends, no place to stay, and $8,000 in the bank. I've been a waiter for years so I knew it wouldn't be difficult for me to get a job.

Took me a while to get a job I liked but I made it work. Just be careful with your money, don't overspend on rent until you have secured a position, and understand your first landing zone doesn't have to be the perfect location. Getting here and getting established will let you explore and then you can find the "perfect" apartment to live in.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:35 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
I agree with the others-go for it! Ask your friend/family to see if you can stay with them. Go into waitressing until you figure out what you want to do-that way you have cash everyday. I can recommend a good $ place if you're interested in Lakewood which is 10 mins from Wheat Ridge. Rent here is NOT cheap so if you can stay with them for a bit till you fully get on your feet, you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver