Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:05 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I know they said Denver but I wish the OP told us more, i.e., is there a job or other non-negotiable aspect in Denver that makes Denver the only possibility? Budget will go a lot further in COLO SPGS. If budget truly is not an issue the OP's "friend" should just hire a relo pro to do this searching.
Not only that but Denver and Boulder are drastically different RE markets. Being able to afford Denver doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to afford Boulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 11,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Your friend is delusional.
Can we move on to reality?
Wow talk about being snarky and rude... and why is my friend delusional? Perhaps helpful advice could be given instead.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
You might want to look at Boulder. It's progressive, has excellent schools, and there are a lot of people in their mid forties with young kids.
Thanks for the helpful advice. She is also looking into Boulder but for reasons not applicable to this thread is leaning toward Denver.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:43 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floralpanda View Post
Wow talk about being snarky and rude... and why is my friend delusional? Perhaps helpful advice could be given instead.
We have a lot of threads with people asking for advice, not giving us enough info (budget), then telling us we aren’t being helpful enough when they aren’t getting answers they like.

What town is your friend looking to recreate? Maybe that’s a better place to start.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Not only that but Denver and Boulder are drastically different RE markets. Being able to afford Denver doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to afford Boulder.
Agreed. Denver and Boulder RE markets are very different. While Boulder is affordable, Denver is more attractive for several reasons. Mainly just wanting neighborhood ideas here. Crestmoor, Hilltop, Congress Park, Wash Park, etc... that fit as many criteria as possible on her list.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Denver and Boulder RE markets are very different. While Boulder is affordable, Denver is more attractive for several reasons. Mainly just wanting neighborhood ideas here. Crestmoor, Hilltop, Congress Park, Wash Park, etc... that fit as many criteria as possible on her list.
Boulder is generally more expensive than Denver. I’m not sure what you’re looking at.

Hilltop has bigger lots. Wash Park is typically what you are describing but lots are too small and new builds are ~$2M+. Hilltop will be in that price range for a new build as well. Graland Country Day School is in Hilltop. It’s pretty snooty. I like Colorado Academy much more from a less snooty, but very affluent and well run private school.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Absolutely. I live in one. We built in 2013. I have an extra large lot and we are still feet from our neighbors and while I suppose we could fit a pool, it would be really small and can only be used a few months a year.

One just sold on the block behind me. 4500 square feet including the basement on a 6200 square foot lot. Neighbors are definitely right on top of you. It went for $2.3M.

No room for a pool.

Let us know budget and I promise we can be more helpful.
I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure what a scrape is, but it sounds like a teardown that's been rebuilt (and often much larger) which I know is happening a lot throughout Boulder. That's likely what my friend is after although a yard is necessary too but I don't think the yard needs to be huge esp if near a park. A small pool would be ok or if need be a local community pool. Her focus is on finding the right neighborhood rather than budget right now.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:56 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure what a scrape is, but it sounds like a teardown that's been rebuilt (and often much larger) which I know is happening a lot throughout Boulder. That's likely what my friend is after although a yard is necessary too but I don't think the yard needs to be huge esp if near a park. A small pool would be ok or if need be a local community pool. Her focus is on finding the right neighborhood rather than budget right now.
You keep saying that the budget doesn't matter now, but unless she's got a comfortable 7 figure budget, there's no real point to this thread.

But the reality is that the lots in pretty much any Denver (and I think Boulder) neighborhood are not going to get her the size home she wants with room for a pool and esp. not neighbors nearby. And there are not public pools in those older neighborhoods.

In many ways, despite the stated distaste for it, Stapleton actually comes closest to fitting much of the wishlist. Lowry doesn't have a public pool or I would suggest looking into one of the custom builds in the new Boulevard One development.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Boulder is generally more expensive than Denver. I’m not sure what you’re looking at.

Hilltop has bigger lots. Wash Park is typically what you are describing but lots are too small and new builds are ~$2M+. Hilltop will be in that price range for a new build as well. Graland Country Day School is in Hilltop. It’s pretty snooty. I like Colorado Academy much more from a less snooty, but very affluent and well run private school.
Good info re Graland vs CA. She knows many folks at CA but not Graland and was curious about how they compared. As I said, budget discussion is less important right now for her than finding the right neighborhood. So would Hilltop, Crestmoor, Country Club, Belcaro, Cherry Creek, or Wash Park fit most of the criteria if a new build can be found? She can find the house/lot, but she needs the insider scoop on the neighborhood itself - the people, feel, demographic, friendliness level, true walkability, safety, etc.

I know y'all are just trying to help, and it's much appreciated. Maybe I worded my original post wrong which led to some off-track commentary... really just trying to help her find the right Denver neighborhood.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Yes ‘scrape’ means tear down the old small house and rebuild a new one on the lot.

The big knock on Wash Park is no (good) community pool. Hilltop or Crestmoor have Crestmoor. It’s private, but you can join the pool. Most of us in Wash Park go to The JCC or Cherry Creek Athletic Club for the pool.

I know of one house in Wash Park with a pool (I’m sure there are a few more, but it’s very uncommon due to lot sizes). It’s on a 10,000 square foot lot. Lots that large are extremely rare. Most scrapes are happening on 6200 square foot lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver