Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 70,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Yes, there are people who live in RV Parks in Colorado during off peak (winter) season or even year round. Doing so would give you a mailing address for job purposes. You would need to explore using a park as in Denver and Colo Spgs and surrounding metros it is not allowable to live in an RV on open land for extended periods of time unless you also have a building permit and are performing construction.

It also will require a different approach than if you were living in a a stick house. In CO's Front Range it can be possible to live in an RV with certain precautions and expectations. We do not have the long, deep, cold winters with piles of snow you may or may not be envisioning. We do have several months of cold temps and we can get arctic blast that will put temps below freezing for several weeks and even the occasional blast of below zero temps from a cold front for several days. Keeping the bottom of an RV warm enough to prevent freezing of fresh, grey, and black water during these times will be the biggest issue.
Thank you!!! This is very helpful!!! I’m planning on visiting this summer and visiting some parks that I have found that we could stay in year round and get their opinion on keeping the camper warm as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 12:16 PM

588 posts, read 562,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikat2480 View Post
Lol no offense but I’ve been doing tons of research. This forum is so I can talk to locals and get their opinions as well. I’ve already looked up and made lists of all the RV Parks in the area, prices, and how to keep them warm. I like to extensively research things before I do them though so this IS part of my research. You don’t have to reply if you don’t want to, haha. I want locals advice and people who may have been in an RV or camper before to kind of give me their opinion. I’m not planning on moving for another two years so I’m getting my research in early. Sorry if that bothers you for some reason?
I gave you my opinion regarding financial feasibility of the move....since your response clearly shows you didn’t like that opinion, may I quote your own words.. “don’t reply”.

BTW, I used to live a few miles away from the trailer/rv park at C470 and Colfax...teachers/professionals do not live there.....hence my original comment of financial feasibility.

Last edited by MsBall; 12-11-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 70,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
I gave you my opinion regarding financial feasibility of the move....since your response clearly shows you didn’t like that opinion, may I quote your own words.. “don’t reply”.

BTW, I used to live a few miles away from the trailer/rv park at C470 and Colfax...teachers/professionals do not live there.....hence my original comment of financial feasibility.

I understand about financial feasibility, but it’s not that we can’t afford to buy or rent a home, we’re just trying to be smart and save some money before we have children and pay off some student debt. I’ve talked to many professionals who actually think this is a smart idea since most of America is living in debt. I emailed some school administrators in other states (we are not only looking into moving to Colorado, we are looking into other states as well) and told them the situation and they seemed to think it was a smart decision for a young adult couple and had no problem with it. So if every school in Colorado does, I can find a job somewhere else. I got the idea from an article I read about young professionals in California who are living in campers to save money. I would hope a school would hire me for my grades in college and grad school as well as my teaching recommendations and accomplishments and not because of where I live. Thanks for your advice though and sorry if I sounded ugly in my last response.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM

588 posts, read 562,322 times
Quote:
I understand about financial feasibility, but it’s not that we can’t afford to buy or rent a home, we’re just trying to be smart and save some money before we have children and pay off some student debt. I’ve talked to many professionals who actually think this is a smart idea since most of America is living in debt. I emailed some school administrators in other states (we are not only looking into moving to Colorado, we are looking into other states as well) and told them the situation and they seemed to think it was a smart decision for a young adult couple and had no problem with it. So if every school in Colorado does, I can find a job somewhere else. I got the idea from an article I read about young professionals in California who are living in campers to save money. I would hope a school would hire me for my grades in college and grad school as well as my teaching recommendations and accomplishments and not because of where I live. Thanks for your advice though and sorry if I sounded ugly in my last response.
You’ve got some hard lessons in life to learn if employee bias is your take-away of my “teachers/professionals do not live there” comment.

Best of luck to ya

Old 12-11-2017, 04:08 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
I think it’s a fine plan. I don’t think it would be an issue. A permanent address is a permanent address.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:20 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! I previously created a thread about wanting to move to Colorado from Mississippi. My husband and I are both young teachers without children and we’re looking for a new state to call home.

Everything I’ve heard about Colorado sounds like it would be a great fit for my husband and I. We are both young and healthy and love the mountains and outdoor activities. Hiking and kayaking are some of our favorite things to do and I’m sure we would get into new activities if we lived in another climate.

Right now, we’re actually thinking that living in a camper trailer would be our best bet for a few years. Finding some land or an RV park to live in year round. We want to save some money and maybe be able to put a down payment on a house after living there a few years. We lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment when we first got married so I know we can get by with little space. It seems like a smart thing to do while we don’t have children.

I’m not worried about the space, but I am worried about living in a camper in Colorado weather. I’ve been looking up some RV parks in Colorado Springs and Denver and they do offer monthly - year round rates so I know some people must do it. Is that something you think would be smart, though? Or is the winter weather too harsh for a camper? I guess we could always add extra insulation, but the thought of being in a camper in CO during the winter just sounds a little crazy to me.

Also, is this a thing anyone does in CO? I read that a lot of young professionals in areas like San Francisco, CA are starting to move into campers/RVs because the cost of living is so high in that area, but I didn’t know if that was a thing any young people did in CO or if it was mainly for retirees. Either way, if we can stay warm and safe, we would be willing to do it to save some money for a year or two while we look into buying a house.

If anyone knows any reasons why living in a camper/RV would or would not work in the Denver or Colorado Springs area, (besides having little space), please let me know! And if there’s an RV living forum that someone knows of that I should post to instead, that would be great to know as well! Thanks to anyone who read through this!!! 😊
One of my really good friends lives in a 5th wheel RV and has done so for several years now. It works great for him and his wife and they have no issues with the weather. They just recently moved a bit more up in to the mountains and still do not seem to have any issues.

With that said, its completely possible and not a bad idea based on housing costs here and the huge convenience of being able to go on trips with ALL of your stuff and the comforts of home in any camp site in the country .

Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,207 times
OP, if you have the will to do it, and you are financially disciplined and an you and your dear one are outdoorsy and active persons, do it. Some of the posters on this forum - no offense - seem to give the impression that they are some kind of realtors and thus they try to induce Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

Keep your expectations low and be realistic though.
Comparing to Canada, the winters here are a breeze in the park - a cold period doesn't last too long and it's alternating with warmer periods. This makes the winters super-pleasant in Colorado.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:20 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Just remember that summers will feature highs often in the 90's, and winters can get into single digits and below zero. You'd need good A/C and great heating. Also, don't expect a lot of big shading trees here like you get in MS and the south (to shield from the strong sun). It tends to be wide-open skies around here.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:09 PM

185 posts, read 461,176 times
I started my full-time journey in Iowa, spent a whole winter there (-60f windchill most of that awful year), and moved along to explore the US.
I've got stories for days, let's skip to CO.

May '16, winterized the trailer and lived without hook-ups for a month before falling in to an opportunity farther East.
Dry camped, my heat source was propane only. Utilized a solar set-up as well as gas generator at times.

June '16, moved north of Silverthorne/Breck, an old house was used for seasonal employees. We hooked up to the janky electrical, and utilized the bathroom facilities.

June '17, still out in the country, on different privately owned property, working for the owners there now.

Jan '18, I'm searching for an RV park down closer to the front range that has either A: CELL SERVICE and/or B: High-speed internet. I'm spinning my wheels trying to get my business going, the lack of any reliable connection to the world is wearing my sanity thin. Research service in areas you wish to explore if this is important to you.

Summers here are perfect, we are high and dry above 8000'. I don't think I used my AC even once with how crappy my hook-ups have been. It's so windy in the Summer, we just open windows and vents. It's dreamy <3

Winter is about staying warm, and finding that place you have access to bathroom facilities.

I can recommend acresandairstreams for a blog to follow. They bought land up top and are building on it. They've got an instagram and wordpress~

As far as city life and front-range climate? They have a bit more humidity, and precipitation from watching weather for a few years, but I have 0 experience in that region.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:24 PM

1,066 posts, read 765,552 times
Quote:
Right now, we’re actually thinking that living in a camper trailer would be our best bet for a few years. Finding some land or an RV park to live in year round. We want to save some money and maybe be able to put a down payment on a house after living there a few years. We lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment when we first got married so I know we can get by with little space. It seems like a smart thing to do while we don’t have children.
I read through all of this and then the comments and thought, what a grand adventure you could have living in an RV while saving money to prepare you for a better future. And if you aren't happy then you'd be well positioned to try it somewhere else. As another poster suggested, make sure you do all your research first.

We've had a couple of slide-in truck campers. We used our campers in hunting and mountain vacations, maybe a dozen times only in below freezing and zero temps though. Gets pretty cold in the late season in the West Elk Wilderness. Ran the heat like crazy to protect the water tanks and were okay, but I think it could get pretty expensive for the LP refills in a full-time living situation. If you could rent a space in a park with complete hookups and equipped with electric heat with protected tanks underneath you might do a little better. Front Range winters can be 55 degrees one day and zero or below the next, though the snow we get doesn't stay around long, usually.

You're young, no kids to worry about. Honestly sounds sort gutsy to me. Just my opinion, good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver