Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times

Advertisements

While legalized marijuana may have accounted for *some* of our boom, it didn't account for all of it, or even a majority of it. We had a lot of factors going on at the same time.

I think we will see a bit of a slowdown, less related to legalization on the coast, and more related to COL here beginning to catch up to the coast. We've already seen people inquiring on these forums about moving here, then changing their minds when they find out how much housing is going to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 04:05 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
If anything tourism will decrease a little bit. People are still going to move here for the great weather and jobs. You may also see a decrease in the transient population as they seek a warmer climate where pot is legal.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:16 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
If anything tourism will decrease a little bit. People are still going to move here for the great weather and jobs. You may also see a decrease in the transient population as they seek a warmer climate where pot is legal.
This I agree with, however I think it’s more likely something that is pushing someone deciding between a Colorado ski trip and a Utah ski trip to choose Colorado. Utah will be the last state in the country to legalize pot. Just look at how they’ve handled gambling.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:23 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This I agree with, however I think it’s more likely something that is pushing someone deciding between a Colorado ski trip and a Utah ski trip to choose Colorado. Utah will be the last state in the country to legalize pot. Just look at how they’ve handled gambling.
Or alcohol, for that matter.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:51 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The extremely low unemployment rate is evidence that pot hasn't been a huge factor. That only counts people actually in the labor force, but if a lot of slackers were showing up and at least trying to get jobs, unemployment would look very different. (I'm not suggesting that all pot smokers are slackers.)

Colorado grew more slowly in the 7/1/16 to 7/1/17 period. It grew by 63,000 vs. 90,000 in the previous year. This is notable given the high employment. I suspect some of that was due to prices...people streamed in when the state was relatively cheap, but as prices approach coastal levels it's more of a moderate-growth state.
Curious, what percentage are low wage jobs? Denver seems to lack the professional trend to other larger metros IMHO.

Also, No not at all. CA has been almost legal for a while now. Many who visit view the weed store thing as a tourist element.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:47 AM

235 posts, read 355,550 times
I for one HOPE it leads to a slow down.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
it might have an affect on " Maggies Farm " in Pueblo .

Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Curious, what percentage are low wage jobs? Denver seems to lack the professional trend to other larger metros IMHO.

Also, No not at all. CA has been almost legal for a while now. Many who visit view the weed store thing as a tourist element.
Medical MJ has been legal for a while in California. Casual use and purchase of it just become legal as of yesterday.

Marijuana goes legal in California on Jan. 1. What you need to know.

What do you mean by the the bolded statement above? I think I know what you mean and if so, I disagree with it. I will agree Denver is not New York or Los Angeles when it comes to big business but we definitely have a lot of professional opportunities here.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Or alcohol, for that matter.
Utah has gotten better when it comes alcohol. I believe they eliminated the need for a club card to drink in a social setting and now there are micro breweries around. I was pleasantly surprised by it when I stopped in SLC last year.

Last edited by Timmyy; 01-02-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 01-02-2018, 11:01 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Medical MJ has been legal for a while in California. ....
That would've been since 1996.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver