Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:36 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Medical MJ has been legal for a while in California. Casual use and purchase of it just become legal as of yesterday.

Marijuana goes legal in California on Jan. 1. What you need to know.

What do you mean by the the bolded statement above? I think I know what you mean and if so, I disagree with it. I will agree Denver is not New York or Los Angeles when it comes to big business but we definitely have a lot of professional opportunities here.
At least in my line of the tech industry, I've been told by my superiors that it's tough to find *good* candidates to recruit out here. Denver's tech scene just isn't as vast or as diverse or powerful as say NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, etc. And Denver, at least in my experience doesn't have as many people working around the clock like on the coasts.

Are there opportunities? Sure, and that's why the metro area has a low unemployment rate. But are the wages lower compared to more expensive cities on the coasts not accounting for Denver's insanely rising COL? I think that's the bigger question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
At least in my line of the tech industry, I've been told by my superiors that it's tough to find *good* candidates to recruit out here. Denver's tech scene just isn't as vast or as diverse or powerful as say NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin, etc. And Denver, at least in my experience doesn't have as many people working around the clock like on the coasts.

Are there opportunities? Sure, and that's why the metro area has a low unemployment rate. But are the wages lower compared to more expensive cities on the coasts not accounting for Denver's insanely rising COL? I think that's the bigger question.
This could be good if you are a skilled guy looking at living here though. Cali is great, but housing seems to be literally double what it is here. I know a lot of national companies pay the same regardless of location.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Vespa303 View Post
With California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada now legalized for recreational use, do you think it will make Colorado a less attractive destination with our high cost of living, cold winters and no ocean access? Could we actually see a slowdown in Colorado growth over the next several years now that there are a lot of other legalized states to choose from?
Cold winters? Not really. As for MJ, I've never been convinced that Colorado in-migration is based on the drug's legality.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:22 PM

658 posts, read 1,894,164 times
All I know if my mari-j stocks are doing well..

Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:

I am not sure of the appeal of making top dollar in a field... in a place where housing and COL costs are stratospheric and things like commutes shorten your lifespan.

In my long tech-adjunct career, nothing could ever tempt me to move down to the Bay Area, despite fabulous compensation. I was better off in slightly dull old Sacramento - almost as many opportunities at 75% of the compensation and 50% of the COL.

I guess if you're 28 and can live in a shoebox because you're out on the town all the time anyway, it's worth it.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:

The trick is to reside in Denver while working as a remote employee for a company headquartered in the Bay Area.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
All I know if my mari-j stocks are doing well..
Not today they didn't. Looks like AG Jeff Sessions will attempt to lay the law down on MJ. This ought to be interesting to see where this goes.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I do want to visit Denver but I want to know why did it explode in popularity very recently?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I do want to visit Denver but I want to know why did it explode in popularity very recently?
The whole Front Range has been growing for the better part of the last 30 years (long before pot was legalized). When I moved to Fort Collins in the early 90s the population was about 90,000. When I left in 1999 it was closer to 115,000.

Denver's been a significant VC player in tech since the early 2000s. Has marijuana been a factor? Sure, but anybody who honestly thinks marijuana is the main factor for the area's growth has their head firmly (and likely permanently) entrenched in their rear end.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/27/sili...aboolainternal

Last edited by bluescreen73; 01-05-2018 at 12:10 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 04:25 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Not today they didn't. Looks like AG Jeff Sessions will attempt to lay the law down on MJ. This ought to be interesting to see where this goes.
I think Sessions will get nowhere with his stance. There is way too much money to be made with legal pot.

He could take the exact same stance against Tennessee whisky. Of course it's not healthy. But prohibition was attempted and didn't work. It just caused more problems. Pot prohibition will follow that same path.

With regards to all of our vices, the only thing that works is self control. I can buy enough booze to drink myself to death but I choose not to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver