Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
To keep the heat on? Either way this damages the car beyond belief. When I lived in CO, my car freaked the hell out with other issues adjust to high altitude (alternator was a big one.)

Shut 'em off folks - not worth it.

Side note - I recall those pumps being very loose and lots of dripping onto the ground and tank to the point I always had to use paper towels to wipe my hands off. Anybody else notice this?
This is another issue I have not experienced. I am not saying it doesn't happen, just not to me. I tend to let the spout sit in the tank a few seconds and shake a bit before removing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:30 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Side note - I recall those pumps being very loose and lots of dripping onto the ground and tank to the point I always had to use paper towels to wipe my hands off. Anybody else notice this?
ha ha, yes, only Colorado has drivers who let gas get on the gas pump when they fill up so your hands get dirty. That doesn't exist in any other place in the entire world.

Seriously, we get that you hated Colorado. You don't need to keep coming back to this subforum to tell us so.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ha.. I was next to one of those today. I've seen it occasionally since moving here almost 25 years ago. I have no idea what it's about. The driver today must've been at least 1.5 car lengths behind the crosswalk. At a major intersection. I just kept wondering what the point could possibly be.
If you stop too close to, or in the crosswalk, it could trigger the red light camera at those intersections that have them.

As for the OP, I've never seen this myself.
Weird that you see it so often.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Vespa303 View Post
Ok, well there are large red signs as soon as you pull up that say Turn off your engine
So do you follow each and every sign you see that tries to control people's lives? And, have you ever driven over and disobeyed the posted speed limit? Self-righteousness is easy to turn off and on.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So do you follow each and every sign you see that tries to control people's lives? And, have you ever driven over and disobeyed the posted speed limit? Self-righteousness is easy to turn off and on.
There's a sign over there that says WARNING DANGEROUS CLIFF EDGE STAY BACK.

Probably just authoritarian BS. G'wan, check it out.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:24 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If you stop too close to, or in the crosswalk, it could trigger the red light camera at those intersections that have them.
Well, maybe. But every driving guideline (and regulation) I know of is good with stopping behind the limit line or crosswalk marker, and a foot or two more is just good sense and courtesy. (Staying further back on an inside lane with turning cross traffic is further good sense and courtesy... it's a PITA to turn around some moron who's a foot over the line, or even right at it, sometimes.)

But this weird practice of staying ten feet, a carlength, more back... I've never seen it anywhere else. And clearly some pedestrian/bike types consider anything closer an encroachment.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:34 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
But this weird practice of staying ten feet, a carlength, more back... I've never seen it anywhere else. And clearly some pedestrian/bike types consider anything closer an encroachment.
I have never noticed a car stopping that far behind the line, but I frequently (almost at every red light in denver actually) see cars stopped in the cross walk. Dozens of times I've had to walk my kids into moving traffic or behind the stopped car when we are trying to cross the street.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:33 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
ha ha, yes, only Colorado has drivers who let gas get on the gas pump when they fill up so your hands get dirty. That doesn't exist in any other place in the entire world.

Seriously, we get that you hated Colorado. You don't need to keep coming back to this subforum to tell us so.
That's some serious fake news right there - I liked living in Colorado, just don't want to be there 100% of the time. Many are like me as well.

No, the pumps are generally older than say NJ or CA - The metal hose is probably for the 85 grade fuel which isn't out here in CA. And the pumps in CA have a better limiter on them so they don't leak as much, that is unless it's a really old gas station.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:10 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There's a sign over there that says WARNING DANGEROUS CLIFF EDGE STAY BACK. Probably just authoritarian BS.
Well, based on your "logic", all that matters is READ SIGN or DON'T READ SIGN. How about read it and think? Life isn't about blinding following or blindly disregarding signs. It's about thinking and processing, and then acting upon the conclusion reached in the brain. Here's a surprise: signs do not think, talk, rationalize, etc. That's why it's up to us to do what they can't do.

Did it ever occur to you that pranksters can and do move signs? If all you ever do is obediently follow them, you might just end up in a hole someday.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-02-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 02:34 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Well, so much for Christmas spirit, eh, only 2nd of January and we're back in bickering mode.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver