Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Real estate is a personal services business. Zillow & realtor.com are advertising vehicles, not real estate brokers.

Brokerages operate on a competitive cooperation model. We all use each others listings to help our clients buy or sell the property of their choosing.

The Seller chooses the level of service they want. So does the Buyer. Is there anything wrong with choice?

Redfin Corp has yet to make money. Most brokerages operate on keeping a quarter from each dollar they earn. In Denver, their 1% listing commission gimmick has not gained them market share.

A Company that cannot turn a profit cannot remain viable in the marketplace.

At the end of the day, we all have to bring enough money home to our families to eat, pay for shelter, heat, etc. Companies also have to earn enough to keep the lights on and innovate in a changing market.
I think this is the biggest issue with the current setup, and it's two fold.

AFAIK, you are required to "hang" your Real Estate licence with a brokerage and cannot operate without a brokerage.

At the same time, it's also way too easy to get your RE licence.

Ideally, there would be much higher requirements to get your RE licence. Not only would this cut down on under-qualified brokers (or not-very-good brokers), but it would also increase the value of those who do have their licence.

I compare RE Agents to CPA's. CPA's have to have 150 hours of college credit and pass a series of rigorous tests to be able to sign off on accounting work. You don't have to be a CPA to work for an Accounting firm - in fact, most accountants after college don't get their CPA for a few years. They just can't have the final signature on documents and cannot operate on their own.

As soon as they have their CPA though, they can start their own company and do whatever they want (that they are qualified for, of course).

I think RE agents should be the same way. With a higher set of requirements, there is less agents, but those who have their licence are able to operate freely and run their own business. There will always be a need for brokerage firms, but why should that prevent a qualified individual from being self-employed?

From my understanding, a traditional 3% fee is usually split 50/50 with the brokerage. Remove the brokerage, and you'd probably see a lot more "individual" brokers willing to lower their fee to say 1.75% or 2% from 3% -- cheaper for the consumer and more profit for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 10:48 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post

At the same time, it's also way too easy to get your RE licence.

Ideally, there would be much higher requirements to get your RE licence. Not only would this cut down on under-qualified brokers (or not-very-good brokers), but it would also increase the value of those who do have their licence.
You must be thinking "in general."

In Colorado, it's 168 hours of pre-license school before you can take & pass the school test, then take & pass the Federal & State test, and pass a CBI/FBI background check with fingerprints and also have a brokerage sponsor the applicant in order to get a Broker's license.

After two years, you can change your license status to Independent and go out on your own. You have to go back to school in order to get your Employing Brokers license.

I don't think the public would be in favor of letting new licensees out practicing real estate without supervision.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:34 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
You must be thinking "in general."

In Colorado, it's 168 hours of pre-license school before you can take & pass the school test, then take & pass the Federal & State test, and pass a CBI/FBI background check with fingerprints and also have a brokerage sponsor the applicant in order to get a Broker's license.

After two years, you can change your license status to Independent and go out on your own. You have to go back to school in order to get your Employing Brokers license.

I don't think the public would be in favor of letting new licensees out practicing real estate without supervision.
It looks like CO is almost double that of IL (where my dad got his licence probably 10 years ago, which was around 90 hours, I believe).

That being said, the hour requirements still pale in comparison. Looking online, you can get the full 168 hour course requirements taken care of for under $500 and in less 2 months. One of them is even claiming it can be done in as little as 3 weeks. To me, that just doesn't seem like a lot of training for a profession.

I completely get that it's more than just a licence too -- you have to know the area, know the trends, know the market, etc. That stuff can't be taught in a course, it needs to be learned from experience.

Last edited by illinoisphotographer; 01-16-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver