Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Temperatures will not feel as cold as they do in MI.

At this point, I would not consider this winter to be anything close to "normal", so I hope nobody is using this winter as an example of what "normal" is like. This is by far the warmest/most snow-free winter I've experienced -- this is my 11th winter here. DEN has only recorded a little over 6 inches to this point. Shameful.

It's nice most of the time. I think the amount/frequency of sunny days is extremely overblown. I like to think whoever came up with that 300 count looks for the actual sun every day, and if they see it (even for a moment through the clouds) they mark it down as a sunny day.

The winter months are usually cool, with the highest amount of truly sunny days, and surprisingly reasonable temps at times. When it is not nice, it is usually gloomy, cold, and/or snowing. The gloom/cold doesn't last for longer than 3-4 days, however (with 7 or so being quite exceptional). It can get quite cold, especially after a storm clears out (these days/nights are generally free of clouds though). The perfect Denver winter day is cold/crisp, with a nice little blanket of snow on the ground (Christmas Eve/Day were like this, it had snowed a couple of days prior. Pics at the bottom).

During summer, the days usually start out clear, and tend to fill in with clouds by late afternoon (but these are still considered "sunny days" ). There is a big range in temps between day and night. It's usually pretty dry, and the most "humid" it gets is during May (our wettest month) and June (but it's nothing like the Midwest). Some summer days, we get T-storms, occasionally severe ones (including with hail, and very infrequent tornado warnings).

You can legitimately wear shorts/sandals on occasion during the winter months (the 68F day somebody mentioned earlier, I sure did). You also might need a sweater/jacket in May or September though too.

Fall and Spring are about perfect with great temps, with brief spells of rain and snow in both. March and April are our two snowiest months. September and October have the best overall weather IMO.

Arvada, Christmas Eve

Lake Arbor, Christmas Day

All of this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Temperatures will not feel as cold as they do in MI.

At this point, I would not consider this winter to be anything close to "normal", so I hope nobody is using this winter as an example of what "normal" is like. This is by far the warmest/most snow-free winter I've experienced -- this is my 11th winter here. DEN has only recorded a little over 6 inches to this point. Shameful.

It's nice most of the time. I think the amount/frequency of sunny days is extremely overblown. I like to think whoever came up with that 300 count looks for the actual sun every day, and if they see it (even for a moment through the clouds) they mark it down as a sunny day.

The winter months are usually cool, with the highest amount of truly sunny days, and surprisingly reasonable temps at times. When it is not nice, it is usually gloomy, cold, and/or snowing. The gloom/cold doesn't last for longer than 3-4 days, however (with 7 or so being quite exceptional). It can get quite cold, especially after a storm clears out (these days/nights are generally free of clouds though). The perfect Denver winter day is cold/crisp, with a nice little blanket of snow on the ground (Christmas Eve/Day were like this, it had snowed a couple of days prior. Pics at the bottom).

During summer, the days usually start out clear, and tend to fill in with clouds by late afternoon (but these are still considered "sunny days" ). There is a big range in temps between day and night. It's usually pretty dry, and the most "humid" it gets is during May (our wettest month) and June (but it's nothing like the Midwest). Some summer days, we get T-storms, occasionally severe ones (including with hail, and very infrequent tornado warnings).

You can legitimately wear shorts/sandals on occasion during the winter months (the 68F day somebody mentioned earlier, I sure did). You also might need a sweater/jacket in May or September though too.

Fall and Spring are about perfect with great temps, with brief spells of rain and snow in both. March and April are our two snowiest months. September and October have the best overall weather IMO.

Arvada, Christmas Eve

You got more than us. We just had a dusting in HR on Christmas Eve.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:21 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Thanks for the tips. So far I've updated my packing list to include:

LOTS and LOTS of layers (more than I had initially planned, will be taking a checked bag now for sure)
Crossbody bag with large water bottle container, will probably pick up a few gallons of purified water when I get there and keep some in the trunk of the car
High SPF sunscreen
Evian spray/travel moisturizer/hand lotion/eyedrops
Chapstick
Oversized sunglasses
Gas-X? Lol (per Randomparent's suggestion)
Ginko Biloba vitamins
Portable oxygen canister? (For when I'm on the mountains if I do go skiing)

Is there anything I should add to the list?

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 01-12-2018 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 09:29 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I'm wondering also about the high altitude as someone who isn't used to it.
Assuming you're in good health, you may feel tired for a few days and find you fatigue easily. Most people adapt after about a week, somewhat longer for strenuous activities.

Some people do never acclimate, though. I had some worries about that, but even with some mild health compromises I barely noticed the transition period and have had no problems in six months.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:32 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
reaction to the altitude is somewhat individual. Some people do ok with it, others have a tougher time. I've lived here for over a decade and I still feel dramatically better when I am at sea level, although of course I manage to function on a regular basis.

Try to plan your trip so that you have some time to acclimate before more strenuous activities and before heading up into the mountains to go to even higher altitude - even with living in Denver, I can feel a big difference between Denver and about 7000 ft and higher.

Assume that you will not have the full stamina and energy you do when you are home, so be realistic with your expectations of how much you can do in a day.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:

LOTS and LOTS of layers (more than I had initially planned, will be taking a checked bag now for sure)
Crossbody bag with large water bottle container, will probably pick up a few gallons of purified water when I get there and keep some in the trunk of the car
High SPF sunscreen
Chapstick
Oversized sunglasses
Ginko Biloba vitamins

I understand that everybody thinks it's funny, but I'm not actually kidding about 'tude toots. Many people experience an increase in flatulence at altitude. You don't have to bring Gas-X with you -- we have plenty of pharmacies -- but just keep in mind that it may make you more comfortable if you head into the mountains.

As for water, keeping a refillable water bottle with you is a good idea. You really don't need to purchase water here. Our municipal water is great and is consistently rated highly for taste, and you can refill your bottle with water at any soda fountain when your stop for lunch or dinner.

Sunglasses? Moisturizer? Chapstick? Sunglasses? Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Eyedrops? Maybe, if you're prone to dry eyes.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-12-2018 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:

High SPF sunscreen
Chapstick
Oversized sunglasses
Ginko Biloba vitamins

Portable oxygen canisters are a complete waste of money.

Oxygen only works while you are using it. The second you stop, you go right back to where you were prior to using it.

These bottles I see the stores selling in resort towns are being gobbled up by suckers who don’t understand the physiology. Makes me think of Spaceballs.

If you have a medical condition that really requires that you are on oxygen, there are portable oxygen concentrators that actually work, but they are not cheap.

Taking a couple dozen breaths out of a can of oxygen at altitude does very little for you.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 01-12-2018 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 12:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I have to say, the gray days here can be *really* gray. Not the dull silver of a high cloud screen, but a darkened, gloomy day with oppressively low clouds. Fortunately, these pass quickly. Although we did have that stretch of about four back in November(?)...
Actually, Champaign isn't *that* gloomy. Now Pittsburgh, where I grew up, that's a gray, gloomy place, especially in winter.

Yes, I remember a gray stretch in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Portable oxygen canisters are a complete waste of money.

Oxygen only works while you are using it. The second you stop, you go right back to where you were prior to using it.

These bottles I see the stores selling in resort towns are being gobbled up by suckers who don’t understand the physiology. Makes me think of Spaceballs.

If you have a medical condition that really requires that you are on oxygen, there are portable oxygen concentrators that actually work, but they are not cheap.

Taking a couple dozen breaths out of a can of oxygen at altitude does very little for you.
Agreed! It's a "woo" type of thing.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I understand that everybody thinks it's funny, but I'm not actually kidding about 'tude toots. Many people experience an increase in flatulence at altitude. You don't have to bring Gas-X with you -- we have plenty of pharmacies -- but just keep in mind that it may make you more comfortable if you head into the mountains.

As for water, keeping a refillable water bottle with you is a good idea. You really don't need to purchase water here. Our municipal water is great and is consistently rated highly for taste, and you can refill your bottle with water at any soda fountain when your stop for lunch or dinner.

Sunglasses? Moisturizer? Chapstick? Sunglasses? Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Eyedrops? Maybe, if you're prone to dry eyes.
I was wondering about the Gas-x thing. I have never had a problem with the winds here.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:37 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I was wondering about the Gas-x thing. I have never had a problem with the winds here.
Depends. Are you upwind or downwind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver