Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 PM

123 posts, read 169,608 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend moving here (or anywhere for that matter) without a job lined up or ample savings. I pay $1,300 for a pretty nice studio. Most one bedrooms are going to run you around $1,500. This isn't a cheap place to live, and there's a lot of competition for jobs with so many people moving here.

That being said, it's a nice place to call home. The winters are nowhere near as harsh as my home state Illinois. It's pretty clean, and the people are pretty friendly overall.

Few things to note/observations:

Colorado is a very conservative state.
There is very little diversity in Denver.
There is a huge homeless problem.
Despite the weather being way better than eastern and midwestern winters, it does snow here, and the temps will regularly be in the teens.
I find the food scene to be kind of underwhelming.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:32 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler21 View Post
I would not recommend moving here (or anywhere for that matter) without a job lined up or ample savings. I pay $1,300 for a pretty nice studio. Most one bedrooms are going to run you around $1,500. This isn't a cheap place to live, and there's a lot of competition for jobs with so many people moving here.

That being said, it's a nice place to call home. The winters are nowhere near as harsh as my home state Illinois. It's pretty clean, and the people are pretty friendly overall.

Few things to note/observations:

Colorado is a very conservative state.
There is very little diversity in Denver.
There is a huge homeless problem.
Despite the weather being way better than eastern and midwestern winters, it does snow here, and the temps will regularly be in the teens.
I find the food scene to be kind of underwhelming.
How on earth can you say Colorado is a very conservative state? Which “very conservative” states have democratic governors and voted Obama, Obama, Clinton?

Also, I travel for a living and eat at some of the best restaurants in the country. Where do you find the food scene lacking?

Old 01-30-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
How on earth can you say Colorado is a very conservative state? Which “very conservative” states have democratic governors and voted Obama, Obama, Clinton?

Also, I travel for a living and eat at some of the best restaurants in the country. Where do you find the food scene lacking?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Colorado

"Until the election of Barack Obama, the people of Colorado had voted Republican in every U.S. Presidential Election since 1964, with the exception of 1992 when a plurality voted for Bill Clinton, (possibly due to the effect of Ross Perot's candidacy)."

"Colorado supported George W. Bush in both 2000 and 2004. Republicans have generally held control of statewide offices and the state legislature since the 1960s."

Denver.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Colorado

"Until the election of Barack Obama, the people of Colorado had voted Republican in every U.S. Presidential Election since 1964, with the exception of 1992 when a plurality voted for Bill Clinton, (possibly due to the effect of Ross Perot's candidacy)."

"Colorado supported George W. Bush in both 2000 and 2004. Republicans have generally held control of statewide offices and the state legislature since the 1960s."

Denver.
I was born in the 1970s. In my lifetime there has been one Republican governor of this state, Bill Owens (1999-2007). During that same time we’ve had 4 Democrats serve, Dick Lamm (1975-1987), Roy Romer (1987-1999), Bill Ritter (2007-2011), and John Hickenlooper (2011-current)

We currently have a congressional delegation made up of one 1st term Republican senator who has been identified as one of the most vulnerable in the country next election, and one Democrat who is in his second term. In the House we are represented by 3 Democrats and 4 Republicans. Denver only account for one of those districts.

The State House of Representatives is currently made up of 37 Democrats and 28 Republicans.

The State Senate is 18 Republicans, 16 Democrats, and 1 Independent (who votes Democrat)

Tell me again how this state is “very conservative”.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 01-31-2018 at 12:08 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I was born in the 1970s. In my lifetime there has been one Republican governor of this state, Bill Owens (1999-2007). During that same time, we’ve had 4 Democrats serve, Dick Lamm (1975-1987), Roy Romer (1987-1999), Bill Ritter (2007-2011), and John Hickenlooper (2011-current)

We currently have a congressional delegation made up of one 1st term Republican senator who has been identified as one of the most vulnerable in the country next election, and one Democrat who is in his second term. In the House we are represented by 3 Democrats and 4 Republicans. Denver only account for one of those districts.

The State House of Representatives is currently made up of 37 Democrats and 28 Republicans.

The State Senate is 18 Republicans, 16 Democrats, and 1 Independent (who votes Democrat)

Tell me again how this state is “very conservative”.
It's too conservative for me.

Not sure you can argue against my opinion on the matter, but thanks for weighing in.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
It's too conservative for me.

Not sure you can argue against my opinion on the matter, but thanks for weighing in.
Sure I can. Too conservative for you is different than ”very conservative”. Move to Kansas or Wyoming and you’ll understand what “very conservative” really means. We are a toss up state that leans Democratic.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM

For the record, I didn't start this thread.

I replied to the original thread which was then split into separate threads for some reason.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
For the record, I didn't start this thread.

I replied to the original thread which was then split into separate threads for some reason.
Moderator Speaking: I split it into 3 separate threads. Your posting was a hijack in that no one mentioned the politics of the area; you inserted that into a 10-year old thread. My choices were either to issue you an infraction for hijacking or break it into separate topics for discussion. Since things are still decently cordial I made it into a new thread. That original 10-year old thread is now closed. The one with the woman seeking a job in Denver is now it's own separate thread. You are free to argue the politics of the region to your heart's content in this thread, but please keep it local or it goes to the P&OC forum where all the crazies will have at you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Moderator Speaking: I split it into 3 separate threads. Your posting was a hijack in that no one mentioned the politics of the area; you inserted that into a 10-year old thread. My choices were either to issue you an infraction for hijacking or break it into separate topics for discussion. Since things are still decently cordial I made it into a new thread. That original 10-year old thread is now closed. The one with the woman seeking a job in Denver is now it's own separate thread. You are free to argue the politics of the region to your heart's content in this thread, but please keep it local or it goes to the P&OC forum where all the crazies will have at you.
Guess you told me.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:10 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Sure I can. Too conservative for you is different than ”very conservative”. Move to Kansas or Wyoming and you’ll understand what “very conservative” really means. We are a toss up state that leans Democratic.
Or Oklahoma.

I would hardly call Colorado very conservative. Sure, we have areas in the state that are more conservative than others but as a whole this is a blue state.

A conservative state wouldn't have been the first place to legalize marijuana.

As for the OP's assertion that the temperature is regularly in the teens, that is not quite accurate. That all depends on where you are in the state. The Denver Metro area rarely gets in the teens even over night. The twenties is normal.

Edit: Correction on temps in the teens. It appears we do get into the teens about half the time over night. Rarely does it stay that way during the day.

Last edited by Timmyy; 01-31-2018 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver