Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 AM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's not THAT far. What, maybe 25 miles from the base of the mountains at most? And considering you can see the mountains from Limon on a clear day (a couple hours east of Denver), it's not crazy that you can see them from DIA.
Actually the base of the mountains is probably about 40 miles or so from the airport. It's 20 something to downtown from DIA and then another 15 or so from downtown to the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 PM

96 posts, read 616,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab14asos View Post
Like Wyomiles stated. You're best view of the Rockies will be during your flight. I've flown into DEN many times including to and from PHX. Yeah, you can see the mountains from DEN International on a clear day but since you're flying into PHX, you'll fly overtop of the Rockies once you depart DEN. Hope you have a good flight and enjoy the views. It's amazing flying over the Rockies.
Thanks, do you happen to know if they allow you to take pictures with your camera on the plane these days? I guess you can but I know many rules have changed or been put in place since 9/11 for safety.

It would be awesome to be able to get some pictures from up above the mountains. I'm excited, it's going to be my first time seeing the Rockies in person.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
Thanks, do you happen to know if they allow you to take pictures with your camera on the plane these days? I guess you can but I know many rules have changed or been put in place since 9/11 for safety.

It would be awesome to be able to get some pictures from up above the mountains. I'm excited, it's going to be my first time seeing the Rockies in person.
Cameras are in the same category as iPods and laptops: You can use them at the gate and at altitude, but not during takeoff and landing.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:15 AM

96 posts, read 616,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Cameras are in the same category as iPods and laptops: You can use them at the gate and at altitude, but not during takeoff and landing.
Ok, thank you.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:24 PM

you aren't supposed to use a camera during take off and landing but I do. Here is a view of the rockies from my flight from Tucson to Denver this past march 22, 2008. This was taken somewhere south of Denver, I think a few minutes after we had started over the mountain range(s)

Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
you aren't supposed to use a camera during take off and landing but I do.
I asked a pilot about that yesterday. He told me the rule is for below 10,000 MSL. The photo shown looks like it was taken within regulations.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I asked a pilot about that yesterday. He told me the rule is for below 10,000 MSL. The photo shown looks like it was taken within regulations.
Yeah, this photo was taken at 39,000 feet. I was just showing the poster what the rockies looked like from up there, and then I was saying that I do use the camera during take off and landing. I should have clarified

Daniel

Old 10-04-2009, 05:32 PM

47 posts, read 132,069 times
Of course, its not like you're 300 miles away. The Rockies are huge! just 30 miles away or so. I've always wondered why people think just because the mountains are only to the west that you can't see them? In fact DIA has even better views of the Rockies because you are slightly higher there than in Downtown Denver as a matter of fact.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 PM

47 posts, read 132,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Actually the base of the mountains is probably about 40 miles or so from the airport. It's 20 something to downtown from DIA and then another 15 or so from downtown to the mountains.
In a straight line, from DIA to The larger Foothills is only 30-33 miles. But taking I-70 with the wide turns makes the driving distance about 40-45 miles. But the view is obviously based on the former measurement. From as far east as Ft. Lupton the view is still Impressive. Those are big mountains, and can be seen from very far away.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
You can see DIA while standing at the peak of Pikes Peak...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver