Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
That’s my point - people shouldn’t be paying nearly as much for being in the “Queen City of the Plains.”
And no one who doesn't want to be here, does. 'Nuf sed.

I wouldn't take a house in Florida if you gave it to me. And it would take three pitchers to even consider moving back to California. So, having the choice of almost anywhere in the western hemi, I chose... The Queen City of the Plains. And took my house-buying lumps, and pretty much shut up about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 05:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
That’s my point - people shouldn’t be paying nearly as much for being in the “Queen City of the Plains.” Acceptable in a coastal city, even Florida (recall they got greatly affected in the heat of the bubble 10 years ago) but this type of garbage is caused by transplant temporary migration and nothing else. Not as if Denver is well equipped to address pain points like traffic or crime spikes either.
The beauty of an open market is that your opinion is easily dismissed. If it were true people wouldn’t be paying what they are.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Piney Creek, near Parker/Orchard. Much nicer than Reunion, and probably a lot more expensive.

We're seriously considering cashing out and buying a ghetto trasher for cash in another city, to live in for a year/two while we live mortgage free while we pile up cash to move up.
What city you thinking of? Ghetto can't work for me, got the kids, lol.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
This. Dallas is going through the same thing that Denver is right now. Actually, probably worse in the long run, because Dallas has a more diversified economy and Texas is more business friendly, so the DFW area is attracting way more businesses, huge corporations, and relocated employees.

Living in Dallas and seeing what is similarly happening in Denver has taught me that if you truly value things like reasonable commute times, reasonably priced homes where you don't get outbid every time you find one, spending time at home with your family versus stuck in rush hour traffic, and just a good quality of life in general, then as SOON as you notice a large influx of Californians moving into your city or area, get out while you can or just skip over it entirely if you are thinking about moving there.

Of course not everyone will have that option, but it will definitely save you plenty of money, time, and heartache if you can avoid California saturated cities and regions. They ruin every city and state that they flock to. Makes me want to move back east and stay there.
The great thing about Dallas is there is a lot of land. It's one of the best sprawls in the US and there are still bargains. Here's one, but with crappy schools: 180k, 1770 sq ft.

Denver, for 180k: Also crap schools, but a foreclosure.

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2020 at 01:20 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 07:00 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The beauty of an open market is that your opinion is easily dismissed. If it were true people wouldn’t be paying what they are.
Then how do you explain overhype, real estate bubbles, and ridiculous speculation which drives up prices?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Then how do you explain overhype, real estate bubbles, and ridiculous speculation which drives up prices?
Basic economics.

You’re ignoring something very important when you say Denver should not cost more than x...... Plenty of people disagree with you and are making that clear when they do pay more than whatever arbitrary place you list. You don’t get to decide value. The market does.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I'd explain it as a guy who admitted he had a bad social life in Denver so he hates everything about the city.

Supply and demand still drive most prices.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 02-14-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'd explain it as a guy who admitted he had a bad social life in Denver so he hates everything about the city.

Supply and demand still drive most prices.
I really don’t think so - high altitude affects lack of oxygen to the brain. Therefore someone with a lot of money will happily wave over an extra 55k for a bid to be complacent about having a home.

It’s a disgrace, people need to realize Denver isn’t paradise for an extended period of time. End of story.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-15-2018 at 08:20 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
I was talking to my brother in law about this who's obsessed with domestic real estate hype. He thinks Denver is a bubble, and it's all hype at the moment. Whereas other (cheaper) markets like Phoenix, Dallas, Houston etc. are more stable.

I too agree with this - I'd wait for the hype to dissolve before buying a place.
So funny to read this, my buddy who just moved from Denver to south florida just said the same about Denver. He said give it a few years and the Denver bubble will burst.. He also said the same thing about DC.

Now places like the coastal northeast from New York to Boston and California, which have generally been steadily insanely expensive, will fare far better. Same with traditionally affordable places like Dallas/Phoenix/Atlanta.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:33 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The great thing about Dallas is there is a lot of land. It's one of the best sprawls in the US and there are still bargains. Here's one, but with crappy schools: 180k, 1770 sq ft.

Denver, for 180k: Also crap schools, but a foreclosure.
The Dallas house is in a pretty craptastic area. Wilmer-Hutchins, Balch Springs, and Seagoville are white trash central. That same house would probably be $350k+ in Plano or McKinney. I personally am not a fan of that housing style. All-brick exterior with simple lines and a boring brick archway over the front door. That is the predominant design of newer DFW housing stock, and it's very cookie-cutter.

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2020 at 01:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver