Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 AM

123 posts, read 169,683 times

Advertisements

I've lived in lots of places throughout my life, but I've never met residents so opposed to non-"natives" as here in Colorado.

Why do residents act this way? You rarely see things like bumper stickers proclaiming "native" status in other states (maybe Texas). There's this blatant and unapologetic superiority complex.

Nearly every local news article on FB is littered with comments blaming those originally from other states (especially California and Texas) for traffic, cost of living, etc. Everyone seems convinced people are moving to Colorado strictly for legalized marijuana which has never been proven. I moved here for a job like most.

Can someone explain the hate to me?

I find it to be ridiculous and childish behavior.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:46 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I've not experienced that.

But perhaps it's simply the fact that more people coming in drive the costs of living higher for those who have lived here for a longer time.

For example, in another thread there is a discussion about how the cost of rent is increasing far more quickly than local wages. If you are a renter with a fixed income, this can easily force you to leave. A 10% per year increase doubles your rent in about 7.2 years. {(1.1**7.2)=1.98}

Another very big deal is the traffic. I-25 reminds me more and more of the 405 in LA every day.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:07 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler21 View Post

Why do residents act this way? You rarely see things like bumper stickers proclaiming "native" status in other states (maybe Texas). There's this blatant and unapologetic superiority complex.
I always felt that the Colorado Native declarations were due to the fact that they (natives) considered themselves to be something of an "endangered species" due to the high number of transplants. In any event, whenever I encountered someone who was a native, I was usually unaware of that fact until I solicited that information myself. They didn't go around advertising it, let alone demonstrate any hatred of transplants.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:13 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I always felt that the Colorado Native declarations were due to the fact that they (natives) considered themselves to be something of an "endangered species" due to the high number of transplants. In any event, whenever I encountered someone who was a native, I was usually unaware of that fact until I solicited that information myself. They didn't go around advertising it, let alone demonstrate any hatred of transplants.
I think a lot of this. I think it started off as a lighthearted joke that got a bit edgier over the years. I moved here in 1998 when a lot of other people did, and I swear it seemed for years most of the license plates I was seeing were from other states--obviously people did change them over eventually, but there were always more people moving in. And in my field, I've yet to work in a department where most of the people are from Colorado originally. At best, there's usually only one native, and the rest of us are transplants. And initially, most of my circle of friends were transplants as well. Sadly, many of them had have to move out of state, so now my circle of friends here in Colorado is probably half native, half transplant.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:40 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler21 View Post
I've lived in lots of places throughout my life, but I've never met residents so opposed to non-"natives" as here in Colorado.

Nearly every local news article on FB is littered with comments blaming those originally from other states (especially California and Texas) for traffic, cost of living, etc. Everyone seems convinced people are moving to Colorado strictly for legalized marijuana which has never been proven. I moved here for a job like most.

Can someone explain the hate to me?

I find it to be ridiculous and childish behavior.
Have you been the recipient of this angst or is this simply observed from the venting on social media? Most natives will tend to be cordial and polite in face to face interactions and for many, it was this friendliness and sense of community that began drawing people to move here in the days before widespread social observations were easy done from the couch.

Bashing transplants has actually long been a Colorado sport, going far back beyond any of our times. I believe it actually began in the 1890s during a significant miners strike across the state when a consortium of mine owners began importing quarry miners from Missouri to replace the striking local workers.

In my lifetime I do recall Texans being common targets in the 1970-80s and then Californians being the butt of many jokes in the 80-90s. Yes, it has typically all been in good natured fun and actually manifested itself in the great CO vs TX tomato war for a period of time. Lately, it does seem to have taken on a bit of venom as prices of real estate have rapidly escalated and populations has rapidly increased.

Last edited by TCHP; 02-15-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 AM

401 posts, read 487,309 times
I feel like the keyboard warriors make it seem worse than it really is.

Yes the native stickers are mildly obnoxious but I am yet to have someone in the real world say anything to me, now online, particularly in facebook groups, it's a whole other story.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:53 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
I have not experienced this at all, but literally everyone I know has moved here in the last 5 -7 years.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
"Native" parapharnelia is nothing new and not limited to Colorado. I remember it back in the 70s in California. Yawn.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Have you been the recipient of this angst or is this simply observed from the venting on social media? Most natives will tend to be cordial and polite in face to face interactions and for many, it was this friendliness and sense of community that began drawing people to move here in the days before widespread social observations were easy done from the couch.

Bashing transplants has actually long been a Colorado sport, going far back beyond any of our times. I believe it actually began in the 1890s during a significant miners strike across the state when a consortium of mine owners began importing quarry miners from Missouri to replace the striking local workers.

In my lifetime I do recall Texans being common targets in the 1970-80s and then Californians being the butt of many jokes in the 80-90s. Yes, it has typically all been in good natured fun and actually manifested itself in the great CO vs TX tomato war for a period of time. Lately, it does seem to have taken on a bit of venom as prices of real estate have rapidly escalated and populations has rapidly increased.
Agree with the bold. Like all this "lighthearted" stuff, it can get ugly. It's not just Texas and California. There's Nebraska. The CU-Nebraska rivalry got nasty at times. My SIL is from Massachusetts, and the anti-NE Patriots stuff got very nasty one year at a Super Bowl party he and DD attended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"Native" parapharnelia is nothing new and not limited to Colorado. I remember it back in the 70s in California. Yawn.
Yes, I remember that too. (Lived there for a short time in the early 70s.)

Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
I am a Co native from one of the original pioneering families on the Western slope; think Ute Indian wars, last great train robbery, the gold rush, operated original Aspen grocery, ggf was mayor of Breck.
About ten years ago I was driving out of a gas station in Greenwood Village with California plates on, guess this truck along side couldn't deal with that and yelled, 'go back to California and ruin your own state."
Had several other jackwagons make comments back than while driving CA plates. The natives I know could care less where people are from. I agree with another poster above, Texas and Colorado used to trade friendly Barb's. The California hate was in the 90's to early 2000's. I know more transplants here than natives by far these days, ironically I have had more than my fair share of Co natives as neighbors in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver